TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

2 recommendations

Got battery

Some of you might not have seen a setup like this if you dont work in COs and what not.

But working at a site today which is all DC, these are the batteries backing one of the feeds (of which there are two.)

Each cell is 2v @ 2190Ah, 24 of them to make 48v, so 105kW.

And each battery weighs 153kg, so theres about 3.7 tonnes, or ~8100lbs of battery right there.

Some of you could probably run some of your sites for a year on this kind of power.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

Cool!

I have been in a few COs in these parts and seen the battery banks but they were not sealed batteries, they were liquid open batteries with the fluid in clear plexiglass or something clear, not sure but you could see thru them and they were big.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to TomS_

Click for full size
said by TomS_:

24 of them to make 48v, so 105kW ... ~8100lbs of battery right there.

Many overseas cellular sites (China, India, etc) use 48V LiFePO4 battery packs these days rather than SLA.

LiFePO4 packs weigh 1/3 of SLA and last more than 5000 cycles when discharged down to 20% of capacity. By comparison, SLA batteries last about 1000 cycles when discharged to 50%.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

reply to TomS_

Click for full size

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

Is this turning in to "my battery is bigger than yours"? ;-D

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA
reply to Inssomniak

We have seen those before I called them "jars" same thing each one was like 1-2 volts each and they had liquid in them that was basically acid if I remember correctly..

Chele

join:2003-07-23

1 recommendation

reply to TomS_

said by TomS_:

It's not how big it is, it's how you use it---so says a guy with a small battery pack

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
Ottawa, ON
reply to viperm

Click for full size
said by viperm:

We have seen those before I called them "jars" same thing each one was like 1-2 volts each and they had liquid in them that was basically acid if I remember correctly..

Maybe you and insommniak are talking about the vintage Edison (Nickel-Iron) cells in clear containers. Here is a picture from Google of a modern version.

They have alkaline potassium hydroxide solution, not sulfuric acid.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
reply to battleop

said by battleop:

We buit a system like that. We hauled the jars to the penthouse level and went from there. They had to have a structural done to make sure the floor could handle the load.

Viper, they still are called jars. That's the standard term.... It harkens back to the old days with lead-acid and they were containers that looked exactly like jars.
--
"Above all, I would teach him to tell the truth. Truth-telling, I have found, is the key to responsible citizenship. The thousands of criminals I have seen in 40 years of law enforcement have had one thing in common: Every single one was a liar."
J.E.H.

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28

"In my day he correct term was Leyden jar"

Anyhow
that 105kw would last me 72 days with a 50% discharge budget for my average solar site

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

reply to viperm

said by viperm:

Like these lead-acid cells.

Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

reply to TomS_

said by TomS_:

My bank is bigger than your bank. ;-P

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA
reply to 54067323

Yep those are the exact ones I was referring to. My bad not sulfuric acid was just a long time ago.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
reply to 54067323

Those are jars.

I know of places where they still are in operation. If you take care of them they will last a really long time.

Tuscaloosa, AL

said by Hahausuck:

Those are jars.

I know of places where they still are in operation. If you take care of them they will last a really long time.

If they are maintained, kept clean and only fed distilled water they will last about 20 years.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Inssomniak

said by Inssomniak:

I have been in a few COs in these parts and seen the battery banks but they were not sealed batteries, they were liquid open batteries with the fluid in clear plexiglass or something clear, not sure but you could see thru them and they were big.

Perhaps you saw these type of clear rectangular jar cells?

I only ask because I have never seen those cylindrical (glass?) cells with horizontal stacked plates in any Ontario or Quebec telecom facility. Our class was taken to AGT/EdTel facilities in Alberta way back in 1984 and I do not recall seeing them at that time either.

*** I do not want an argument with 54067323 See Profile or anyone else about this but I must mention that modern flooded cells use vertically mounted plates with some empty space underneath the plates for safety reasons. The casing is polycarbonate or polypropelyne for same reason.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

The cells I saw we're rectangular but very clear.
Bell Canada COs in the same decade.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to TomS_

You should see the UPS systems that are installed in wafer fabs. Three strings each at 480VDC at 2,000A feeding an inverter to carry the connected load of that section of the plant during a utility failure until the gensets come on line (about 8 seconds).

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to TomS_

Click for full size
biggest ups I have
There are some big battery banks in this threat.

My biggest UPS (APC matrix series) has 4x 12V 74ah in series at 48V.

edit: We draw about a killowatt hour

edit: This UPS uses some sort of gel suspended led acid, battery’s are horizontally oriented.

edit: It connects to 2 of the 3 phases coming in the building the ups output is 208V.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

said by OHSrob:

some sort of gel suspended led acid, battery’s are horizontally oriented.

You can put AGM lead-acid batteries in any orientation.

Those made for large UPS systems can be stacked horizontally so you can make the connections from one face of the bank as shown in an earlier post by 54067323 See Profile.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to TomS_

Here's the "Old School" style...