The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to TomS_

Re: Got battery

Cool!

I have been in a few COs in these parts and seen the battery banks but they were not sealed batteries, they were liquid open batteries with the fluid in clear plexiglass or something clear, not sure but you could see thru them and they were big.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

We have seen those before I called them "jars" same thing each one was like 1-2 volts each and they had liquid in them that was basically acid if I remember correctly..

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

Click for full size
said by viperm:

We have seen those before I called them "jars" same thing each one was like 1-2 volts each and they had liquid in them that was basically acid if I remember correctly..

Maybe you and insommniak are talking about the vintage Edison (Nickel-Iron) cells in clear containers. Here is a picture from Google of a modern version.

They have alkaline potassium hydroxide solution, not sulfuric acid.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

reply to viperm

said by viperm:

Like these lead-acid cells.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

Yep those are the exact ones I was referring to. My bad not sulfuric acid was just a long time ago.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
reply to 54067323

Those are jars.

I know of places where they still are in operation. If you take care of them they will last a really long time.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

said by Hahausuck:

Those are jars.

I know of places where they still are in operation. If you take care of them they will last a really long time.

If they are maintained, kept clean and only fed distilled water they will last about 20 years.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Inssomniak

said by Inssomniak:

I have been in a few COs in these parts and seen the battery banks but they were not sealed batteries, they were liquid open batteries with the fluid in clear plexiglass or something clear, not sure but you could see thru them and they were big.

Perhaps you saw these type of clear rectangular jar cells?

I only ask because I have never seen those cylindrical (glass?) cells with horizontal stacked plates in any Ontario or Quebec telecom facility. Our class was taken to AGT/EdTel facilities in Alberta way back in 1984 and I do not recall seeing them at that time either.

*** I do not want an argument with 54067323 See Profile or anyone else about this but I must mention that modern flooded cells use vertically mounted plates with some empty space underneath the plates for safety reasons. The casing is polycarbonate or polypropelyne for same reason.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

The cells I saw we're rectangular but very clear.
Bell Canada COs in the same decade.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca