uniqs
RamsteinUSA
join:2007-02-15
Scio, OR

2 edits

RamsteinUSA

change to new package questions

change to new package questions

We have wanted to change to a better or cheaper package, over a period of many years, but since we have been with TW, before that, Adelphia, before than Daniels cable, etc..
and we are apparently still on some old Adelphia package. My wife and I have talked to them, many times over the years and recently, and they kept saying we were on a package that was from way back. but they could never give a better deal.
Now, when I went to upgrade my wife's cable to DVR service (2 DVR boxes now in the house) they told me we should get Triple play... and we will save money. We still use the regular phone company phone. In the past, you could not get 911, especially if the power went out. I talked to the TW customer service and she told me that the digital phone uses the regular phone line and if the house power goes out the TW digital phone will still work. I definitely need to be able to have access to 911, because of health issues. So,if we get their triple play with their phone, I understand there is no interruption if the regular 120 vac goes out. My wife also has a trac phone, so, there is at least one more phone available. Whether or not it is useful in some emergencies, I don't know for sure, it depends, but the l landline has always been solid and working my whole life.
So, TW lady was saying we can have Triple Play: we would want what we have which is 2 dvr boxes. Digital, with regular channels, plus Internet 15 mb down/ 1 mb up. Add the digital phone and remove the landline service from AT&T.
The (2) Digital boxes with DVR service regular channels (local) plus extended channels which cover the 200's through the 700's (HDTV).
The lady said that with Triple Play they give you (I think she said) HBO or showtime,. etc.. but I don't care about them,, if they give me them fine but I won't pay, nothing on there worth it to us.
To save money we would need the bill to drop below $150.00 per month after all taxes and other things that throw into the bill.
I also see offers for new customers, where they will give you money to change, but we are already customer so no deals I guess..
So, can we get what what want for the price? or am I going to end up with paying more? The same? Less?
Prices are probably different in different states,, so, I am in the San Diego are.
Thanx..

btw, I tried many times to post in the new TWC forums, but always get errors...
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch

From what I understand,

Unless you are in a TWC location that has battery back up phone modems, TWC Digital Phone's 9-1-1 WILL NOT WORK in the event of a power failure. I recall this being listed on our rented modem. I believe that only TWC division that had battery back up modems was in Nevada. Most TWC divisions do not have battery back up modems. For emergency services, you should absolutely have access to any phone that will stay on in the event of a power failure. The issue with the back up modems in Nevada was years ago, things may be different now.

Great value in Triple Play otherwise and good retention rates as well. However, Power Failure phone loss is an issue that bothers some customers, with an otherwise great phone service.

Satch

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA

Suit Up

My modem (Arris TM502G) has a battery.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to RamsteinUSA

Premium Member

to RamsteinUSA
In extended power outages, I see about 4-5 hours of uptime on the outside cable system before it will go dead. This will mean no cable, internet or phone service. You will need a generator, UPS or battery in your modem to take advantage of this but again, once the outside plants batteries die during an extended outage it wont matter what you have in your house powering your gear.

Do you have a generator at your house taking care of things now, when the power goes out?
RamsteinUSA
Scio, OR

RamsteinUSA

wife has a trac fone...

we went ahead witha deal where they pay us $200 rebate (after 3 months) for adding a phone from TW.. (and in essence we went from an old Adelphia package to Triple Play (Internet, phone, and TV).. and we will have the ATT landline phone cancelled.. This will save us about $20.00 per month,,

What bothers me is we have to pay them to hook the phone and modem up for the phone, I already have a modem that also does phones (VOIP), but they insisted on bringing in their own tech and phone,, they refused to let me use my own install and equipment,, plus the modem/Router deal is I buy it but they pay me back $70.00 for the Router. Now I will have two newer modems 'N' series with VOIP capability, all because they refused to let me use the one I own (Netgear CG3000D).

I must have a phone for 911 because of my health problems.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

The Netgear CG3000D isn't a eMTA, it's a gateway modem with a built-in router.

»www.netgear.com/images/c ··· 4742.pdf

Cable eMTAs that allow cable voice services from Netgear begin with "CV" for "cable voice".

You can use your own modem for the data connection and the TWC eMTA just for phone. That way they won't charge you a rental fee for the data modem.
RamsteinUSA
Scio, OR

RamsteinUSA

the modem package they are making me buy is:
ZYXEL N36416N

but at least I took the option of buying instead of renting.. this enables the phone service.

it has a $70.00 rebate
»techzilla.com/

»techzilla.com/wp-content ··· ffer.pdf

btw, I looked up where else I could buy one of these if I wanted the best deal,,, I found at least one place where you can get it for $30.00.... not going to keep posting links.. I read the reviews... some good, some bad, others ok...

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

Something doesn't seem right... who is techzilla? Are the working with TWC? I've never heard TWC "make" customers buy any particular modem.

Also, do you have any links to that specific modem model? I can't find any, not even on the ZyXEL website.

I think you may have been dealing with a 3rd party reseller and not TWC directly. Hopefully it works out for you... Take screenshots and keep receipts of everything they promised you.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2 to RamsteinUSA

to RamsteinUSA
It appears your offer is from a TWC Authorized Qology Direct. I hope you did not call AT & T to have the line cancelled, as it needs to be ported over.(This fact is sometimes left out in the sales pitch). Yes, there is a $200 Reward Card, with many conditions attached. IMO, I would call TWC Sales and tell them about your offer. A savvy rep will look for the best deal to keep the sale within the company.
RamsteinUSA
Scio, OR

RamsteinUSA

everything wa done correctly and I also talked directly top TW before we made the decision to change our Adelphia package to a newer package, a Triple Play package we liked the best.. we still save money and that's the main reason why we changed, to save money...
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2

Great!

tex from sat
@sbcglobal.net

tex from sat to DocDrew

Anon

to DocDrew
You have definitely worked with a third party and not TWC. This third party is a authorized dealer from FT Lauderdale, supposedly. When I called TWC direct to check on my installation, they had a confirmation number from there "dealer" but nothing more. TWC went through then entire sales pitch by that time I was ready to all go some where. I would have bolted in a heart beat but the builders have signed a contract for use of TWC. So, ATT,was not permitted to gain access to the property. I am waiting fro the router from "Techzilla" and to play safe ordered router from TWC too,just in case. Just so much more displeasure with all these grand companies. What a joke.