spc
uniqs
dczar1
join:2013-04-09
Oak Park, IL

dczar1 to Jinzo

to Jinzo

Re: Comcast SMTP whoa's

I'm having similar problem in Chicago. I used Eudora specifying incoming and outgoing mail servers and ports. Worked fine up until around 10 days ago. Now, I get mail from my email account I've had since around 1998 or so, but I can't send via smtp.comcast.net and I can't ping that address with a network utility.

rebooted the modem.
rebooted my router.
reloaded three different email clients and set up

can't send anything but I get mail from my third party provider and before you ask, I really, Really, REALLY don't,can't switch to a different email address for business reasons as well as so many places that contact me at my email address.

I've set things up the way their techs tell me on phone and still wont' work using port 465 etc. is there a way around this compound I'm locked in?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

The IPv4 address for smtp.comcast.net is 68.87.26.155 and it is non-pingable.

The settings for sending mail are:

Server Name: smtp.comcast.net
Port: 465
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Authentication Method: Your unencrypted username and password

It works for me.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by graysonf:

The IPv4 address for smtp.comcast.net is 68.87.26.155 and it is non-pingable via ICMP.

FTFY.

% tcping smtp.comcast.net 25
smtp.comcast.net port 25 open.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

But the IPv6 address for smtp.comcast.net is pingable via ICMP

C:\Users\Fred>nslookup smtp.comcast.net
Server: cdns01.comcast.net
Address: 2001:558:feed::1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: smtp.g.comcast.net
Addresses: 2001:558:fe14:70::30
Aliases: smtp.comcast.net

C:\Users\Fred>ping 2001:558:fe14:70::30

Pinging 2001:558:fe14:70::30 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2001:558:fe14:70::30: time=41ms
Reply from 2001:558:fe14:70::30: time=38ms
Reply from 2001:558:fe14:70::30: time=40ms
Reply from 2001:558:fe14:70::30: time=39ms

Ping statistics for 2001:558:fe14:70::30:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 41ms, Average = 39ms

So there!

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

haha didn't think to check ipv6

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

But the IPv6 smtp.comcast.net server still does not allow active sessions on port 25 (even on a business class connection where outbound port 25 is not blocked):

webhost:/ # telnet smtp.comcast.net 25
Trying 2001:558:fe14:70::30...
Connected to smtp.comcast.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
554 omta15.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Port 25 not allowed
 - http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/
Connection closed by foreign host.

OTOH, it does still accept authenticated port 587 sessions (even without TLS):

webhost:/ # telnet smtp.comcast.net 587
220 omta06.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast ESMTP server ready
quit
221 2.0.0 omta06.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast closing connection

So perhaps that might be a solution for dczar1. That is assuming that local lack of SSL support is the dczar1's problem (as is the case with Microsoft's SMTP service) as opposed to the inability to change the outbound port, or to use authentication.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

I never said anything about port 25 not being blocked on smtp.comcast.net via IPv6. But I will say that Comcast is not blocking port 25 via IPv6 elsewhere.

Stunnel can be used to work around most client limitations regarding destination ports and lack of SSL.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by graysonf:

I never said anything about port 25 not being blocked on smtp.comcast.net via IPv6. But I will say that Comcast is not blocking port 25 via IPv6 elsewhere.

Port 25 is not being "blocked" per se for use with smtp.comcast.net (IPv4 or IPv6), the server itself is simply refusing to allow an active session on port 25. However, many (and likely soon all) Comcast residential users do have a universal IPv4 port 25 block (and I suspect that eventually Comcast security will notice the IPv6 oversight).
said by graysonf:

Stunnel can be used to work around most client limitations regarding destination ports and lack of SSL.

Yes, stunnel (and other local proxy solutions) can be used to get around a client config limitation problem. Recent versions of Eudora do support SSL, but dczar1 could not get that to work, so I suspect that setting up an stunnel proxy would be equally problematic. Are you volunteering to set that up for dczar1?
NetFixer

NetFixer to dczar1

Premium Member

to dczar1
said by dczar1:

I'm having similar problem in Chicago. I used Eudora specifying incoming and outgoing mail servers and ports. Worked fine up until around 10 days ago. Now, I get mail from my email account I've had since around 1998 or so, but I can't send via smtp.comcast.net and I can't ping that address with a network utility.

rebooted the modem.
rebooted my router.
reloaded three different email clients and set up

can't send anything but I get mail from my third party provider and before you ask, I really, Really, REALLY don't,can't switch to a different email address for business reasons as well as so many places that contact me at my email address.

I've set things up the way their techs tell me on phone and still wont' work using port 465 etc. is there a way around this compound I'm locked in?

Recent versions of Eudora do support SSL on port 465, but just changing the port is not sufficient. You will need to make sure that SSL is selected, and you you will also need to setup the outbound server settings to use authentication (the same way that you do for incoming email). Another configuration option for outbound mail would be to use port 587 for the outbound server. Port 587 does not require SSL in case you are using an older version of Eudora that does not support SSL, but you will still need to use authentication.
dczar1
Oak Park, IL

dczar1 to graysonf

to graysonf
Doesn't work for me as I've tried that on three email clients.
dczar1

dczar1 to NetFixer

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by graysonf:

But the IPv6 smtp.comcast.net server still does not allow active sessions on port 25 (even on a business class connection where outbound port 25 is not blocked):

webhost:/ # telnet smtp.comcast.net 25
554 omta15.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast Port 25 not allowed
 - http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

OTOH, it does still accept authenticated port 587 sessions (even without TLS):

quit

So perhaps that might be a solution for dczar1. That is assuming that local lack of SSL support is the dczar1's problem (as is the case with Microsoft's SMTP service) as opposed to the inability to change the outbound port, or to use authentication.

I have SSL support in all three email clients, Eudora, Thunderbird and Mail. Ccast says it's because the domain of my incoming mail is not from ccast so I can't then send mail.

Seems like a devious plan to put third-party ISP's out of biz...I've had my email address for some 22 years. How many sites have I registered with that have it, clients and whomever else? I literally can't switch as comcast would like me to.
dczar1

dczar1 to NetFixer

to NetFixer
I've tried that too and it hasn't worked on 587 or 465.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to dczar1

Premium Member

to dczar1
said by dczar1:

If you open up a command prompt window (or a terminal session depending on the OS) and do a "telnet smtp.comcast.com 587" what kind of response to you get (if any)?

I am reproducing below the test session that I did for my earlier post here to show you an example of what you should get back. If you want to troubleshoot this, I first need to know if you have a connection problem or an authentication problem (just saying that "it doesn't work" isn't much help for troubleshooting).

quit

NetFixer

1 edit

NetFixer to dczar1

Premium Member

to dczar1
said by dczar1:

I have SSL support in all three email clients, Eudora, Thunderbird and Mail. Ccast says it's because the domain of my incoming mail is not from ccast so I can't then send mail.

Seems like a devious plan to put third-party ISP's out of biz...I've had my email address for some 22 years. How many sites have I registered with that have it, clients and whomever else? I literally can't switch as comcast would like me to.

If and/or when you decide that you want help troubleshooting your problem and are willing to cooperate with the troubleshooting process instead of just ranting, perhaps you might get some help.

FWIW, I did a test for the OP in this thread: »Re: Comcast SMTP whoa's that did exactly what you are describing (sending email from two different domains using smtp.comcast.net on port 587, and Comcast did not reject my email (as the attached received email source illustrates).

As for me, I'm done with this thread since you obviously don't want my help. Good luck with solving your problem.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to NetFixer

MVM

to NetFixer
I'd venture to say that if it doesn't work for him he's doing something wrong. The most common mistake is to use username/password encryption. This will not work.
graysonf

graysonf to dczar1

MVM

to dczar1
said by dczar1:

Paste in or fully describe your configuration screen.
dczar1
Oak Park, IL

dczar1 to NetFixer

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by dczar1:

If you open up a command prompt window (or a terminal session depending on the OS) and do a "telnet smtp.comcast.com 587" what kind of response to you get (if any)?

I am reproducing below the test session that I did for my earlier post here to show you an example of what you should get back. If you want to troubleshoot this, I first need to know if you have a connection problem or an authentication problem (just saying that "it doesn't work" isn't much help for troubleshooting).

quit

"telnet smtp.comcast.com 587
smtp.comcast.com: nodename nor servname provided, or not known"
dczar1

dczar1 to NetFixer

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by dczar1:

If and/or when you decide that you want help troubleshooting your problem and are willing to cooperate with the troubleshooting process instead of just ranting, perhaps you might get some help.

FWIW, I did a test for the OP in this thread: »Re: Comcast SMTP whoa's that did exactly what you are describing (sending email from two different domains using smtp.comcast.net on port 587, and Comcast did not reject my email (as the attached received email source illustrates).

As for me, I'm done with this thread since you obviously don't want my help. Good luck with solving your problem.

Gosh, and here I thought I explained quite clearly what I had done and you get snarky. How positively nice is that?
dczar1

dczar1

telnet smtp.comcast.com 587
smtp.comcast.com: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

said by dczar1:

telnet smtp.comcast.com 587
smtp.comcast.com: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

WRONG.

It's smtp.comcast.net

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS to dczar1

MVM

to dczar1
said by dczar1:

Can you not use a 'comcast.net' email address solely for the authentication? SBC put their customers through this same wringer ten years ago. What I did was to configure my client to use '******@pacbell.net' for authentication, but '********@aosake.net' for the "From:" address. Nobody ever saw the 'pacbell.net' address, just the 'aosake.net' address.

It works the same with my new ISP:

Addendum:

As an example, here are headers (my server is temporarily offline, so I used another account):
x-store-info:J++/JTCzmObr++wNraA4Pa4f5Xd6uens/GgAwQp04qJrhQ4X0uoZBxy/dkHL
    xXCBwcjWNRRSpd5wSmJIm7sPnF90XvpI8tgDdQqFgQ94hQrwykr8H4IG9Nepp4wYI/bbM9fSYt1l+Dw=
Authentication-Results: hotmail.com; spf=none (sender IP is 64.142.19.5)
    smtp.mailfrom=**********@netscape.net; dkim=none header.d=netscape.net; x-hmca=none
X-SID-PRA: **********@netscape.net
X-AUTH-Result: NONE
X-SID-Result: NONE
X-Message-Status: n:n
X-Message-Delivery: Vj0xLjE7dXM9MDtsPTE7YT0xO0Q9MTtHRD0xO1NDTD0w
X-Message-Info: aKlYzGSc+LngSIEN9nC7GRaVlXLN7zbKfIbKa3LQPpvRklgyf+bf1scoommzxBTAkAMxYwudjV
    0qga6n0nCDcfOtPllc5DBdQN2m8xxSK/yMpJH5Hzv/zxqZOrK/sk+sVaTixt5quAZd91kfuAq5n0OMMoo45RWa
Received: from b.mail.sonic.net ([64.142.19.5])
         by COL0-MC4-F26.Col0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.4900);
 Wed, 10 Apr 2013 22:50:16 -0700
Received: from akari.akari.aosake.net (reki.aosake.net [173.228.7.217])
(authenticated bits=0)
by b.mail.sonic.net (8.13.8.Beta0-Sonic/8.13.7) with ESMTP id r3B5oFIN030506
(version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=AES256-SHA bits=256 verify=NO)
for <**********@hotmail.com>; Wed, 10 Apr 2013 22:50:15 -0700
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15; format=flowed; delsp=yes
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 22:50:14 -0700
To: "**********@hotmail.com" <**********@hotmail.com>
Subject: [TEST] SMTP Server
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-ID: <op.wvc3tza65ghexu@akari.akari.aosake.net>
User-Agent: Opera Mail/12.15 (Win64)
Return-Path: **********@netscape.net
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 11 Apr 2013 05:50:16.0527 (UTC) FILETIME=[714E85F0:01CE3678]

Lines 15 through 19 show my ISP (Sonic.net) message submission server accepting email with authentication.

Line 26 shows the From: address as a Netscape domain.

No line shows my Sonic.net email address, though it was needed to authenticate to the server.

This is pretty much what NetFixer See Profile showed in his headers. When I was with AT&T, this still worked the same; different servers, same results.

Comcast expects you to authenticate to their message submission server with a Comcast UserID; they don't require From: to be a Comcast email address.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Comcast SMTP authentication uses the bare username, not the full email address)

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

Actually, probably Sonic.net, as well. But I got used to using the full email address under SBC/AT&T. With eleven different email domains, they need to distinguish between '******@pacbell.net', '******@nvbell.net', and '******@prodigy.net', among others.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to dczar1

Premium Member

to dczar1
said by dczar1:

said by NetFixer:

said by dczar1:

quit

"telnet smtp.comcast.com 587
smtp.comcast.com: nodename nor servname provided, or not known"

Sorry about the one typo in my post; but the correct "telnet smtp.comcast.net 587" command was also shown in this post (and a previous post) in the example telnet session. I don't think that you are so dense that you really did not know that "telnet smtp.comcast.com was a typo. If you really wanted help in this thread you would have provided the information that was requested. My observation that you are only ranting and/or trolling still stands.
NetFixer

NetFixer to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

Comcast SMTP authentication uses the bare username, not the full email address)

Comcast does not require the use of the full email address for their residential smtp.comcast.net server, but they do accept it. Their smtp.xxx.comcast.net business class servers do require the full email address because the host name part of the authentication email address is different for each customer.
dczar1
Oak Park, IL

dczar1 to NetFixer

to NetFixer
Well, you're plain wrong I'm just ranting about comcast, but then that's the way YOU want to look at this.

here's what happened...

telnet smtp.comcast.net 587
Trying 76.96.40.155...
Connected to smtp.g.comcast.net.
220 omta20.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast ESMTP server ready

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

4 edits

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by dczar1:

Well, you're plain wrong I'm just ranting about comcast, but then that's the way YOU want to look at this.

here's what happened...

telnet smtp.comcast.net 587
Trying 76.96.40.155...
Connected to smtp.g.comcast.net.
220 omta20.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast ESMTP server ready

OK, that is a start. That tells me that you don't have a connectivity problem and also that you are are not making an IPv6 connection (information that was previously not available). It is probably an authentication issue. If you want help and are willing to cooperate by not making everyone have to ask you multiple times for the needed troubleshooting information, I can probably walk you through fixing your problem.

To start with, how about supplying detailed information on exactly how you have an email account configured (as others have already requested), and exactly what error messages or responses you get from the Comcast SMTP server (what some Comcast CSR told you is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is the SMTP server responses). You can (and should) of course mask out the username information from the email addresses and mask your password(s).

I will wait on a reply before I bother to waste my time trying to provide any more assistance that will be ignored. If I get some information that I can work with, I may be able to point out a fix immediately, or I may have some more tests I will need you to run.

EDIT: Despite my disclaimer in the paragraph above, here are examples of the information that is needed from the email account(s) with the problem (taken from a test account that I setup that receives email from bellsouth.net but sends email using smtp.comcast.net on port 587). The examples below may in fact be all that you need to fix your problem if you look at the examples carefully and compare the information to your own email client setup:

Here is the SMTP log for an email sent from that account to one of my business email accounts (first with a deliberate authentication problem, and then after the authentication problem was corrected):

Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5931 (xpsp_sp3_gdr.100129-1321)
SMTP Log started at 04/11/2013 01:06:30
SMTP: 01:06:30 [rx] 220 omta12.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast ESMTP server ready
SMTP: 01:06:30 [tx] EHLO rwswks
SMTP: 01:06:30 [rx] 250-omta12.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net hello [107.3.234.161], pleased to meet you
SMTP: 01:06:30 [rx] 250-HELP
SMTP: 01:06:30 [rx] 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
SMTP: 01:06:30 [rx] 250-SIZE 36700160
SMTP: 01:06:30 [rx] 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
SMTP: 01:06:30 [rx] 250-8BITMIME
SMTP: 01:06:30 [rx] 250-STARTTLS
SMTP: 01:06:30 [rx] 250 OK
SMTP: 01:06:30 [tx] AUTH LOGIN
SMTP: 01:06:30 [rx] 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
SMTP: 01:06:30 [tx] cm95Y2VzaG9mbmVyI2NvbWNhc3QubmV0
SMTP: 01:06:30 [rx] 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
SMTP: 01:06:30 [tx] ZDFnMXQ0bHczNHYzcg==
SMTP: 01:06:31 [rx] 535 5.7.0 ...authentication rejected (2)
SMTP: 01:06:45 [rx] 220 omta21.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast ESMTP server ready
SMTP: 01:06:45 [tx] EHLO rwswks
SMTP: 01:06:45 [rx] 250-omta21.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net hello [107.3.234.161], pleased to meet you
SMTP: 01:06:45 [rx] 250-HELP
SMTP: 01:06:45 [rx] 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
SMTP: 01:06:45 [rx] 250-SIZE 36700160
SMTP: 01:06:45 [rx] 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
SMTP: 01:06:45 [rx] 250-8BITMIME
SMTP: 01:06:45 [rx] 250-STARTTLS
SMTP: 01:06:45 [rx] 250 OK
SMTP: 01:06:45 [tx] AUTH LOGIN
SMTP: 01:06:45 [rx] 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
SMTP: 01:06:45 [tx] cm95Y2VzaG9mbmVyI2NvbWNhc3QubmV0
SMTP: 01:06:45 [rx] 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
SMTP: 01:06:45 [tx] ZDFnMXQ0bHczNHYzcg==
SMTP: 01:06:46 [rx] 535 5.7.0 ...authentication rejected (2)
SMTP: 01:07:21 [rx] 220 omta05.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast ESMTP server ready
SMTP: 01:07:21 [tx] EHLO rwswks
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 250-omta05.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net hello [107.3.234.161], pleased to meet you
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 250-HELP
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 250-SIZE 36700160
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 250-8BITMIME
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 250-STARTTLS
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 250 OK
SMTP: 01:07:22 [tx] AUTH LOGIN
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
SMTP: 01:07:22 [tx] cm95Y2VzaG9mbmVyQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
SMTP: 01:07:22 [tx] ZDFnMXQ0bHczNHYzcg==
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 235 2.7.0 ... Authentication succeeded
SMTP: 01:07:22 [tx] MAIL FROM: <myname@bellsouth.net>
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 250 2.1.0 <myname@bellsouth.net> sender ok
SMTP: 01:07:22 [tx] RCPT TO: <myname@dcsenterprises.net>
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 250 2.1.5 <myname@dcsenterprises.net> recipient ok
SMTP: 01:07:22 [tx] DATA
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 354 enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
SMTP: 01:07:22 [tx] 
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 250 2.0.0 NW7M1l00V3VcETv3RW7NwX mail accepted for delivery
SMTP: 01:07:22 [tx] QUIT
SMTP: 01:07:22 [rx] 221 2.0.0 omta05.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast closing connection

EDIT 2:
Here is the source from the received email that was sent:

From - Thu Apr 11 01:23:03 2013
X-Account-Key: account16
X-UIDL: 3181
X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
X-Mozilla-Keys:                                                                                 
Return-Path: myname@bellsouth.net
X-hMailServer-ExternalAccount: myname@dcsenterprises.comcastbiz.net
Received: from imta01.potomac.co.businessclass.comcast.net (76.96.111.6) by
 PO1HUB02.po1.comcast.net (172.24.252.226) with Microsoft SMTP Server id
 8.2.176.0; Thu, 11 Apr 2013 00:07:23 -0600
Received: from qmta12.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net ([76.96.59.227])by
 imta01.potomac.co.businessclass.comcast.net with bizsmtpid
 NW7N1l0054u9db801W7NKA; Thu, 11 Apr 2013 06:07:22 +0000
Received: from omta05.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net ([76.96.62.43])by
 qmta12.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net with comcastid
 NW7N1l0010vyq2s5CW7N4N; Thu, 11 Apr 2013 06:07:22 +0000
Received: from rwswks ([107.3.234.161])by
 omta05.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net with comcastid
 NW7M1l00V3VcETv3RW7NwX; Thu, 11 Apr 2013 06:07:22 +0000
To: My Name <myname@dcsenterprises.comcastbiz.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 00:06:29 -0600
Subject: Test message from bellsouth.net account using smtp.comcast.net
Thread-Topic: Test message from bellsouth.net account using smtp.comcast.net
Thread-Index: Ac42etUe8bPwiUxVSMKytxDha0hHQQ==
Message-ID: <660FE74963944F538C182524CC7E0559@dcsnet.lan>
Accept-Language: en-US
Content-Language: en-US
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthAs: Anonymous
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthSource: PO1HUB02.po1.comcast.net
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
x-authority-analysis: v=2.1 cv=KqH1bgmN c=1 sm=1 tr=0
 a=jhrL38VXwrGySev0E9A58A==:117 a=RLKIWFCG8xPtOatfuVf7SA==:17
 a=C_IRinGWAAAA:8 a=UYmVINT_dooA:10 a=TtbJT82wv_MA:10 a=DvSzqBOGy98A:10
 a=wyNIjSn2ew0A:10 a=pedpZTtsAAAA:8 a=o46sN8ljBXgA:10
 a=r77TgQKjGQsHNAKrUKIA:9 a=s5IKTtvKvEkLrKRs1gMA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10
 a=9lRgDFa-zy0A:10 a=cO6r384ogKgdhM-jThYA:9 a=_W_S_7VecoQA:10
 a=oIWDkQLH8BMA:10 a=NL38ZJF8IJ0A:10
dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net;
s=q20121106; t=1365660442;bh=9Yhge/LEwXqzE/68mrT9RDEiBHo91TbLAVOoQMuTtgs=;
h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:
 Content-Type;
b=sRdYqheFv2xoYmrkyebNySEbKmPwo57mOappbspwqKL2VgyCICGKu5217Mhy03eW/
 YvxWkXx6Wd73EzL4NsLBYVvOMJJZwAjgjuu5mG41aVABrepHMHK7FVPe/HcFHcQCQ3
 kC3d9jXO7TlGyjJPOa7U1tuYJtQX28TkeMPC53EY1IQOKQ27FazHW8O+xLfep6IGIY
 tCVcnklC0YP5z2HPAVeZEc424yKAomlDhoxpeaEV6sR7kdsAQUhb/wpjoVhvKWmnNG
 /kQ3r/vqEGSPWMV269sVn6n+ac+ZCp2fpwXm+Tyr1WrAGTI2P8RWNhHblrvLzPXFmr
 ZMO5u/NvwNkzw==
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="_000_660FE74963944F538C182524CC7E0559dcsnetlan_"
MIME-Version: 1.0

--_000_660FE74963944F538C182524CC7E0559dcsnetlan_
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

This is a test message from bellsouth.net account using smtp.comcast.net

--_000_660FE74963944F538C182524CC7E0559dcsnetlan_
Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" http-equiv=3DContent-Type=
>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.19412">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><B><FONT size=3D2>
<P>This is a test message from bellsouth.net account using=20
smtp.comcast.net</P></B></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--_000_660FE74963944F538C182524CC7E0559dcsnetlan_--

dczar1
Oak Park, IL

dczar1

Thanks for the help. For the moment though, I've made comcast go away as far as email goes. I don't have to do any dance to deal with how they restrict their systems.

If anything changes as we know it can, I'll be back.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by dczar1:

Thanks for the help. For the moment though, I've made comcast go away as far as email goes. I don't have to do any dance to deal with how they restrict their systems.

If anything changes as we know it can, I'll be back.

I don't suppose that you would be willing to let us know what alternative email host you found who doesn't require that you use authentication? Open SMTP relays are rare these days and most would find themselves on spam blacklists quite quickly. Comcast is only finally doing what most of the industry did years ago.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to dczar1

MVM

to dczar1
said by dczar1:

Further to NetFixer See Profile's comment: When I first signed up for Pacific Bell DSL Service, I was given 'mail.pacbell.net' to use for outgoing email; port 25, no authentication. But it wouldn't accept submissions from my sister's Comcast connection when I visited her. The most common suggestion was to use the Comcast server; but that did not seem clean to me. It meant having to change my client configuration between home, and away.

Some judicious questioning in the SBC West forum (SBC owned Pacific Bell) and I found an SBC authenticating server. ACL by IP address was a common restriction by ISPs to prevent abuse of "promiscuous" (open) SMTP relay. Which is the whole point of ISP restriction: Abuse prevention.

Because of spammer abuse, all ISPs and ESPs which want to maintain Internet connectivity impose restrictions.