share rss forum feed

isp10002

join:2012-10-24
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..

[DISH] Is it Worth the Upgrade?

Hi, i have the Vip 722k Receiver from dish, and been wondering, should i upgrade to the hopper? The vip 722k dosent offer hd to the tv in the second room, but the hopper does but it not a requirment for me, Whats the advantage of upgrading to the hopper, How much would it cost? I have 4 Tvs 1 Hd 3 Sd, Just to confirm this, Does the hopper have wireless networking built into it? Should i upgrade??

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 recommendation

Take a look at all the Hopper/Joey issues »support.dish.com/viewforum.php?f=18

We are Alpha testers for the Hopper. I would stay put for now. There is a new Hopper with a Slingbox built in. I don't think it is any better than the the existing one.

I did not do my homework before leaving D* for Dish. If I did, I would have stayed with D*.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

ernliz

join:2001-11-25
Albemarle, NC
said by Irish Shark:

I did not do my homework before leaving D* for Dish. If I did, I would have stayed with D*.

Why do you say that? I'm having a hard time deciding between D* and Dish, and Dish "seems" like a better deal. Actually, both seem fine. Help!!

bmetelsky
Premium
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH
reply to isp10002
I left DirecTv for DISH about 3 months ago. I am very happy with the move. The equipment that I have, a Hopper and a Joey, are excellent pieces of equipment. The programming is very comparable as far as what I was looking for. I have no regrets.

isp10002

How much does it cost?? I have 4 TVs so one hopper and 3 joeys

bmetelsky
Premium
join:2005-10-16
Elyria, OH
Reviews:
·Dish Network
·DIRECTV
You would want to check with DISH on the cost. For 4 t.v.'s I would recommend 2 hoppers and 2 joeys. You can go to the DISH website, pick the promo you are interested in, indicate 2 hoppers and 2 joeys and you should get a good idea of cost per month that way.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to isp10002
You should be paying $10/mo for the DVR service (Vip 722k). The Hopper is a wash $10/mo (Non-Slingbox version; new one might be more). The Joey is $7/mo.

So, if you get 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys that will be $38/mo more than what you are paying now.

If you already have 3 SD boxes factor that cost in the above. The Joeys will replace them.

All the equipment can be linked via the Internet/LAN. The new Hopper has a Slingbox in it that connects to your LAN and the Internet. The Joeys get the LAN/Internet from the Hopper.

Dish was offering a Hopper upgrade to existing customers for a onetime $199 cost. Depending on a boatload of things, you might get it for $99 or even free.

Make sure that they don't add 24 months to your contract if you have one.
--

isp10002

Does the hopper have wireless networking built in? I heard it does.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
The new Hopper has a built-it Slingbox. You have to connect that to the Internet/LAN.
--

isp10002

This is how its setup.

isp10002

reply to isp10002
Im going to get call dish soon to get the hopper, im just going to get 1 hopper and 3 joeys i forgot to mention that we very rareley use the other 2 tvs so we dont really need 2 hoppers, i will be saving like $5 per month to!