share rss forum feed

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA
reply to Inssomniak

Re: Got battery

We have seen those before I called them "jars" same thing each one was like 1-2 volts each and they had liquid in them that was basically acid if I remember correctly..

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

Click for full size
said by viperm:

We have seen those before I called them "jars" same thing each one was like 1-2 volts each and they had liquid in them that was basically acid if I remember correctly..

Maybe you and insommniak are talking about the vintage Edison (Nickel-Iron) cells in clear containers. Here is a picture from Google of a modern version.

They have alkaline potassium hydroxide solution, not sulfuric acid.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 recommendation

reply to viperm

said by viperm:

Like these lead-acid cells.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

Yep those are the exact ones I was referring to. My bad not sulfuric acid was just a long time ago.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2
reply to 54067323

Those are jars.

I know of places where they still are in operation. If you take care of them they will last a really long time.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

said by Hahausuck:

Those are jars.

I know of places where they still are in operation. If you take care of them they will last a really long time.

If they are maintained, kept clean and only fed distilled water they will last about 20 years.