spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Strat

@teksavvy.com

Acanac TV (aka Zazeen) ; any good/bad experiences?

I see that Acanac now offers TV service and am wondering if anybody has any feedback to give regarding picture quality, reliability, and overall quality of service.

Here's the link ; »www.acanac.ca/tv.html

rosenqui
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON
Acanac/Zazeen's TV service isn't active yet. They had hoped to launch an open beta in early January but it seems they're stuck in limbo now.

The best place to check for status updates on their TV service is their own support forum: »community.zazeen.com/
--
Adventures in Canadian cord cutting - »www.canadiancordcutting.com/

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
reply to Strat
Bad execution! VMedia did it better ...

Fergless
Premium
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to Strat
said by Strat :

I see that Acanac now offers TV service and am wondering if anybody has any feedback to give regarding picture quality, reliability, and overall quality of service.

Here's the link ; »www.acanac.ca/tv.html

I'm Beta testing it and as far as picture quality, it is really superb channel changes are almost instant.

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to Strat
There's a few videos on YouTube demoing the IPTV service offered by Zazeen.

Here's the link if you want to see it in action. Looks like it could be good if they ever get it off the ground.
»www.youtube.com/user/ZazeenTV

According to the comments on the channel changing video, the speed at which you can change channels has greatly improved, so that's good to see. As it seems awfully slow in the video.

Fergless
Premium
join:2008-04-19
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
Yes I think they may be older videos as the channel change times are amazing.

Zazeen Inc
Premium
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON
The current videos linked to the website are a few months old and a few firmware versions behind.

I will shortly be posting some new videos that will include the latest firmware image as well as our Android, PC and Apple apps.

Jurjen

join:2010-08-18
Montreal, QC
reply to Strat
I remember reading on the Acanac board that the service will only work on Acanac subscriber lines though. Something to keep in mind.

Zazeen Inc
Premium
Mississauga, ON
It will work with Acanac and Distributel.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
reply to Strat

Slightly OT, but since I might have the attention of Da Man here, let me ask :

Is Acanac Cable Internet officially available in Cogeco territory, and if yes, at what speeds & prices ? (Not much info on Acanac.ca - the only clue which I could find being on their Ontario list of approved Cable modems page, which has a list each for Rogers and for Cogeco areas, and which also contains a modem model number error, I believe, as Cogeco's network supports the 476 but not the 475, AFAIK)

Back to topic, is this TV offering also available in Cogeco territory, and must we first subscribe to Acanac Cable Internet in order to subscribe to their TV service ?

....which may lead back to my first question....

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

Zazeen Inc
Premium
Mississauga, ON
We will start offering Cogeco cable once the rate limiting equipment is in place. You will probally be looking at another month or two.

IPTV service will be available within the Cogeco Territory in the locations we have a BDU license.

You can subscribe to the TV service however you won't be able to view it until you subscribe either to Acanac or Distributel's internet.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by Zazeen Inc:

....You can subscribe to the TV service however you won't be able to view it until you subscribe either to Acanac or Distributel's internet.

Does anyone know whether Distributel is going to offer Cable Internet in Cogeco Land ?

And as they are not doing rate limiting (AFAIK), would theirs be happening any sooner ? (or already, & I did not check )

Zazeen Inc
Premium
Mississauga, ON
They already do offer Cable within the Cogeco territory.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

Hmmm, cannot even find a list of qualifying cable modems on the Distributel site (like the one to which I referred above on Acanac's site), let alone any mention of Cogeco.

Even their Rogers area cable plans are quoting outdated speed tier info.

Zazeen Inc
Premium
Mississauga, ON
The old speeds are still being advertised because we are still using the disaggregated interconnects. Once the majority of the areas are on the aggregated setup the new speeds will be advertised.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

It seems like that policy might apply both to the websites of Acanac AND of Distributel, regarding all of the recent developments being discussed in this thread.

Strat

@teksavvy.com
reply to Zazeen Inc
Well,... it sure sounds as if it's very far from being available and there's very little information available.

Looks like I'll be sticking with Rogers for a while.

Zazeen Inc
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Should not take to long. Testing as has already started.

infamouskid

join:2007-01-24
North York, ON
reply to Strat
any updates to this? have stb been shipped to beta testers?
is this still open testing or closed?
--
BELL CAN SUCKADANUTZ!

GoRaptors

join:2011-07-22
London, ON
Ditto, since I am with Distributel any info at all would be greatly appreciated! :P! ! Thanks in advance! Would love to kick Rogers analog tv to the curb!

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:22
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Zazeen Inc
said by Zazeen Inc:

How long? I'm pretty sure I saw a TTC bus ad mentioning something about Acanac & HDTV.
--

infamouskid

join:2007-01-24
North York, ON
seen many ads in the 24 newspaper too.

said by HiVolt:

said by Zazeen Inc:

How long? I'm pretty sure I saw a TTC bus ad mentioning something about Acanac & HDTV.

--
BELL CAN SUCKADANUTZ!

shimh

join:2003-05-23

2 edits
reply to HiVolt
»community.zazeen.com/viewtopic.p ··· =6&t=279

"a tentative STB ship out date of June 1st 2013"

update:

»community.zazeen.com/viewtopic.p ··· =6&t=281

"1.We signed off on two more affiliate agreements this week however we still have a few more to go. With that said I don't believe we will be able to meet our self imposed June 1st ship out date."

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to Strat
Why is it taking so long for Acanac's IPTV service to get off the ground while it seems like VMedia came out of no where with their own IPTV service which is already fully available to all of Ontario?

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3
Wasn't burger saying that they started by being a service dedicated to streaming foreign channels? If so, it would mean they'd probably been working on it for far longer.

Without implying anything, maybe Zazeen is trying to cover all it's bases. One of the threads that was linked up was about lan over powerline, so they're thinking about how to easily connect devices throughout the house. It'd be much easier to simply state to customers that they simply provide the hardware and it's up to customers to connect them.

Given their competition, I think a full solution is better.

shimh

join:2003-05-23
They also consider MoCA 2.0. One high end STB they are working on includes Docsis 3.0 cable modem, Android 4.2 media computer and Minerva TV (dual boot). The unit could potentially serve internet service at home if the modem is approved.

pducharme

join:2010-06-29
Sherbrooke, QC
That would be nice for new customers. Dual boot with android so i can have Plex installed to replace my aging boxee box