Search similar:

uniqs

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

wifi4milez

Using the FIOS app for ipad when off the network

I recently purchased an ipad mini and proceeded to jailbreak it to add some additional functionality (topic for another thread). I found out about the FIOS app which allows you to watch live TV and I promptly installed it. I happen to be watching it right now, and I find it to be very useful. However, it only works when connected to the FIOS provided router. Is there any way around this restriction? What if I create a VPN tunnel back to the FIOS router if that is even possible. Does the fact that I am jailbroken help by allowing for another app to bypass the Verizon restriction?

miataman
I've attained a PHD in DVR.
Premium Member
join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA

miataman

Premium Member

said by wifi4milez:

However, it only works when connected to the FIOS provided router. Is there any way around this restriction?

Actually, It doesn't have to be "on" your FIOS network, Simply any valid FIOS network. I use it when visiting my friends, who also have FIOS.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by miataman:

said by wifi4milez:

However, it only works when connected to the FIOS provided router. Is there any way around this restriction?

Actually, It doesn't have to be "on" your FIOS network, Simply any valid FIOS network. I use it when visiting my friends, who also have FIOS.

Thats interesting, thanks! However I was more asking about using it while out and about for instance when tethered to my cell phone. Is that possible?
nfotiu
join:2009-01-25

nfotiu

Nope, but slingbox works very nicely for that purpose, and you get all your channels and dvr recordings.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez
You could try to install a VPN server on your router (DD-WRT firmware) I think it supports it (I am using one) you could then connect via VPN to your home network.

You would need to google around for more info, it might work.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by patt2k:

You could try to install a VPN server on your router (DD-WRT firmware) I think it supports it (I am using one) you could then connect via VPN to your home network.

You need to actually be connected to the Verizon provided router, so you couldnt run DD-WRT. I am not sure if the Verizon device allows for VPN connections but that was my original thought.
wifi4milez

wifi4milez to nfotiu

to nfotiu
said by nfotiu:

Nope, but slingbox works very nicely for that purpose, and you get all your channels and dvr recordings.

I used to have a Slingbox, but the issue was that when using it the device would change the channel of the box I was connecting to. I don't know if they have created a work around but obviously that prevents me from using it if someone is watching at home.
28727686 (banned)
join:2013-04-08

28727686 (banned)

said by wifi4milez:

said by nfotiu:

I used to have a Slingbox, but the issue was that when using it the device would change the channel of the box I was connecting to. I don't know if they have created a work around but obviously that prevents me from using it if someone is watching at home.

My parents use a Slingbox all the time. They just got a separate box to hook the Slingbox too. That cable box doesn't have a TV attached it's just an orphan box just for Sling.
patt2k

patt2k to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez
said by wifi4milez:

said by patt2k:

You need to actually be connected to the Verizon provided router, so you couldnt run DD-WRT. I am not sure if the Verizon device allows for VPN connections but that was my original thought.

I am not sure about that I use my own router with Fios and when using iPad I use my DD-WRT router not Verizon and I can watch live channels.

As I said it would have to be checked first to ensure it works ok.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by patt2k:

said by wifi4milez:

said by patt2k:

I am not sure about that I use my own router with Fios and when using iPad I use my DD-WRT router not Verizon and I can watch live channels.

Are you also using a Verizon router?
patt2k

patt2k

said by PJL:

Well yes from Verizon router to my own router but WIFI on Verizon router is completely off. For everything I use my DD-WRT Router.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by patt2k:

said by PJL:

Well yes from Verizon router to my own router but WIFI on Verizon router is completely off. For everything I use my DD-WRT Router.

Hmm, that is strange because the Verizon router itself is where the channel data comes from. Also when you start the FIOS app it communicates with the Verizon router and you can actually see a little icon pop up on the top right hand side of your TV screen indicating a connection is being made.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL to patt2k

to patt2k
said by patt2k:

said by PJL:

I presuming you're using the Verizon router for DHCP and your other router as a switch that also does WiFi. Because of this, all are on the Verizon router subnet which is why it works.
patt2k

patt2k to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez
Yes sir.

Since I prefer to use my own router to have better wifi performance and dd-wrt , however when port forwarding I must forward on both routers not a such big deal though.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

Back to the original question, is there a confirmed way of using this service when you are not in the same physical location as the Verizon equipment?
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by wifi4milez:

Back to the original question, is there a confirmed way of using this service when you are not in the same physical location as the Verizon equipment?

None I've seen in the various forums I monitor, in fact to the contrary.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by PJL:

said by wifi4milez:

None I've seen in the various forums I monitor, in fact to the contrary.

So a VPN pass through to the Verizon router wouldn't suffice?

JS
@verizon.net

JS to wifi4milez

Anon

to wifi4milez
said by wifi4milez:

Yes, a VPN works, I have one setup on my Synology Diskstation. My sister wanted to use the app when not at home as well and she said it works fine. I will admit though, I haven't tried it personally.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by JS :

said by wifi4milez:

Yes, a VPN works, I have one setup on my Synology Diskstation. My sister wanted to use the app when not at home as well and she said it works fine. I will admit though, I haven't tried it personally.

If you (or someone) else can personally confirm this works, as well as the specific setup, that would be great.
patt2k

patt2k to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez
Well why don't you try to to setup a VPN server on your computer.

Then configure it with your iPad via VPN and see if it works , or buy cheap router that be be flashed with DD-WRT.

If noone can confirm this for you this is what you can try.

JS
@verizon.net

JS to wifi4milez

Anon

to wifi4milez
said by wifi4milez:

said by JS :

said by wifi4milez:

If you (or someone) else can personally confirm this works, as well as the specific setup, that would be great.

I just asked her and she said she used it last night with no problems. I am using Option 1 and the diskstation is sitting on the double NAT'd network. Our speed tier is 15/5.