zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..
reply to Jim_in_VA

Re: Are you guys really that remote?

I am on exede now but as far as anything but satellite goes, with an antenna I think I could get Verizon LTE ok with millenicom but I had it for a while and it was by far less dependable than even my old HN system was. I figure it was the tower I was pulling off of at that time, but I am still gun shy about it and besides the up front cost is prohibitive for me atm with the service, antenna and router.

There are to WISP's within range of me but I am in a slight depression on the prarie and cant get line of sight without a tower. There is talk of DSL or U-Verse in the future from AT&T but I'm not holding my breath. Last but not least, our power company has stated that they are going to get into the broadband game and that our little rural community will be their pilot testing ground, but again this will be a while out yet and I am unsure if they are going to try the BPL or if they are going to run lines or what.

We are dead center between 2 towns and 4 miles as the crow flies or about 7 or so by road to either town.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

joeMI

join:2006-08-15
Mcmillan, MI
reply to Jim_in_VA

I am not that rural. I'm in the central U.P. of Michigan. About 5 miles from a small town. As the phone wires run, I can get 26Kbps dial-up.

Due to the surrounding hillsides, cell service is not available. The wireless companies don't seem too concerned about the large gap in coverage over several major highways (well, major for the area).

If I wish to agree to a 2 year contract of continuous service, I can get a 1.5Mbps T1 from AT&T installed with a surcharge due to the distance from the POP at about $800/mo.

Because we are seasonal (May-Oct), I can't justify the expense of roughly $10K/year.

Right now, the only choice is satellite internet.

A local ISP (Lighthouse.net) is bringing cable/fiber to the town so I'm hopeful that at some point, it will be expanded up the lake shore enough to reach me and other residents.
--
HughesNet | BI-700 | HN9000 | .98m/2W | 180SS | 42NPW | 5Mbps/1Mbps
HughesNet | Business Internet plan | HN7000S | .98m/2W | G17 91W:1050MHz | 88 sig | ACP 99 | 1.5Mbps/385Kbps

JMM

join:2013-06-01
Jefferson, MD

YUP - Apparently. Us and the 3 houses along this stretch of road. DSL and cable all around us, just not here :-(, they promise that we will get FIOS when they finally start laying that...

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to Jim_in_VA

I am nearly 9 miles (wire path) from the AT&T telco switch that is a town of 11,000. They do offer UVerse DSL in town near the switch.

What really makes me mad is there are DS1's going past me to feed a cell phone tower. If they can do that they should be able to add a DSL node to the area.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

said by TheTechGuru:

I am nearly 9 miles (wire path) from the AT&T telco switch that is a town of 11,000. They do offer UVerse DSL in town near the switch.

What really makes me mad is there are DS1's going past me to feed a cell phone tower. If they can do that they should be able to add a DSL node to the area.

They could, assuming they have enough pairs available which they probably do. But that's not how At&t runs things.