share rss forum feed

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:1

[IA] Slow speed issues

Make sure you guys are using

»speedtest.comcast.net/ and Chicago server. This is for IA area.

Keep in mind

- the speed will vary somewhat
- different websites and different servers even if listed on one website will most likely give you different results
- when testing make sure you are only using a wired connection and if possible bypass your router
- flash based speedtests are not 100% accurate
- your speed is advertised as up to XX Mbit, so don't greet a tech with "I'm paying for XX Mbit and I only get YY Mbit" This is a personal pet peeve of mine.

If you consistently test much slower than your "up to XX" speed you may have an issue. Repeated tests with multiple servers. Occasionally you may see some odd results (too slow or too fast) and this should not concern you.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

TJFriday

join:2009-06-29
Des Moines, IA

3 edits

+1 for all of the above--especially for the caveats.

I've found the Comcast server in Chicago to be by far the most reliable and consistent SPEEDTEST.NET server for those of us on Mediacom in Des Moines and surrounding communities since the somewhat recent peering with Comcast infrastructure.

You will definitely see a range of results from time-to-time. I've recently moved to a 105/10 subscription and I typically see a lot more variation on my downstream than I did with the 50/5. I now see anywhere from 80 Mb/s to 116 Mb/s (and a consistent 10.1 Mb/s upstream). With the 50/5, it was much more consistent around 57.7 Mb/s downstream (and a consistent 5.7 Mb/s upstream). Latencies to the Comcast server have been between 10 ms and 20 ms, but occasionally as high as 29 ms during prime-time hours.

Examples

Ultra Plus 105/10:

Ultra 50/5:

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to Anonymous

Just to add my input. I use the speedest.net hosted by Comcast in Chicago and get consistent results for the Cedar Rapids area. The issue I used to see with the flash based test was that on older computers the test gave erratic and unreliable results. Now that I have a new computer (intel i7 based) I get consistent results from the Comcast Chicago test. My 50/5 service always reports 55-57 down and 5 up. I'll post some results tonight.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
reply to Anonymous

Ultra 50/5

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to Anonymous

said by Anonymous:

Make sure you guys are using

»speedtest.comcast.net/ and Chicago server. This is for IA area.

Keep in mind

- the speed will vary somewhat
- different websites and different servers even if listed on one website will most likely give you different results
- when testing make sure you are only using a wired connection and if possible bypass your router
- flash based speedtests are not 100% accurate

It's not really flash that is the issue with the speedtests. It's the "speed boost" mediacom and other ISP's use that causes the tests to be overly inaccurate. Before they added the boost the tests were much more accurate.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

Flash or Java based tests are inaccurate on old, slow computers. I can do a side by side test on my new computer with my old one and they show very different results.

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

1 edit
reply to TJFriday

As soon as Ultra 50 is $59.95 i'll sign up anything over $60 is too much for me and i'm fine with 30Mb down but really could use a little more up but $80 is a bit of a stretch for upstream only.

bulletsam

join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by IowaMan:

As soon has Ultra 50 is $59.95 i'll sign up anything over $60 is too much for me and i'm fine with 30Mb down but really could use a little more up but $8- is a bit of a stretch for upstream only

I've said it before, I wish they'd offer a 35/5 mid-package. My Ultra50 deal is up in May so I'll downgrade. Hell, I get 29-35Mbps 85% of the time anyway.

By the way...

What does one consider a "old" computer these days?

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

I really am not sure because any computer from 2008 onward can handle the modern web just fine. HD, Video editing etc Just avoid the $400 computers unless your DIY

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
reply to bulletsam

said by bulletsam:

said by IowaMan:

As soon has Ultra 50 is $59.95 i'll sign up anything over $60 is too much for me and i'm fine with 30Mb down but really could use a little more up but $8- is a bit of a stretch for upstream only

I've said it before, I wish they'd offer a 35/5 mid-package. My Ultra50 deal is up in May so I'll downgrade. Hell, I get 29-35Mbps 85% of the time anyway.

By the way...

What does one consider a "old" computer these days?

My desktop in my home office was 10 years old. It still works but is slow. The speed tests just don't work well.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.