dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
slajoh01
join:2005-04-23

slajoh01

Using Time settings on an Android phone?

Click for full size
According to my print screen of my time settings to use Network-Provided Values, does this require constant Wifi or internet connection to obtain an accurate time?

Or does it still maintain an accurate time even if NOT using an internet connection?

thx
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

No it doesn't and of course it still maintain time. How accurate it is? It depends on your particular phone and its quartz generator precision. Next time it gets network connection, the time will be adjusted accordingly.
slajoh01

slajoh01

I don't still understand, does it need internet connection to maintain the accurate time or not? Because I usually do not use public WiFi or any internet connection except when I am home on my own network.

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

south1178

Premium Member

said by slajoh01:

I don't still understand, does it need internet connection to maintain the accurate time or not? Because I usually do not use public WiFi or any internet connection except when I am home on my own network.

Your phone won't lose hours but it won't be synced up. I appears to need Mobile Data from your provider to update. I don't think wifi will work.
slajoh01

slajoh01

Can I add my own time servers like for example from the Boulder atomic clock in Colorado? Or does that need a third party app in order to do so?

Thanks

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

south1178

Premium Member

I've never looked or tried to. I'm sure you can with an app.
aa6vh
join:2005-07-25
Oxnard, CA

1 recommendation

aa6vh to slajoh01

to slajoh01
Your phone uses the regular cell phone network (not the data connection) to get the time, when that network time option is set.

There are apps available to obtain time from internet time servers, but those apps do require a wifi/data connection to work.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to slajoh01

to slajoh01
said by slajoh01:

Or does it still maintain an accurate time even if NOT using an internet connection?

As aa6vh said it's getting the time from the cellular network, not the internet.

I have seen the tower time be off before... when daylight savings kicks in a few years back some towers didn't realize and were kicking out the wrong time (haven't seen this for a couple years so they are all aware of the new daylight savings dates ).

Also if you are near the border of a time zone people have complained that their phones give them the wrong time when they hit a tower in another time zone.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to aa6vh

MVM

to aa6vh
said by aa6vh:

Your phone uses the regular cell phone network (not the data connection) to get the time, when that network time option is set.

Yeap, that's how I've always understood this as well. By "network", they mean "cell network", not "internet network".

brian
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mission Viejo, CA

brian to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
said by dib22:

Also if you are near the border of a time zone people have complained that their phones give them the wrong time when they hit a tower in another time zone.

I frequently travel between CA and AZ and during non-DST times of the year my phone likes to bounce back and forth between AZ time and CA time for about 10 miles on either side of the border. I can imagine how annoying this would be for someone that lives there.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

That's when you would uncheck 'Automatic time zones'.