spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dosil

join:2013-04-10
Houston, TX

[Mobile] Turning a MiFi (T-Mobile Sonic 4G) into a media server

I have the T-Mobile Sonic 4G wireless mobile hotspot (HuaweiE587).
It has a MicroSD card inside (can be up to 32GB).
My iPad is running low on memory... now wouldn't it be nice if I could move my music to the E587? (Surprised that I haven't found anywhere else on the web talking about this)

Well potentially I can - and I have verified this and it doesn't stop you surfing the net at the same time.
Although the access to the MicroSD card is really brain-dead with very restrictive upload/download via HTML... you can put your music on the MicroSD card. Along with it you put the jPlayer javascript demo. You edit the script to put the http links to the music files, and album art, and even movies (if you want). Then you launch the jPlayer .htm in Safari. The interface is actually really nice although obviously it could be customized/improved and there are a couple of glitches which may be due to the MP3 files I used (no progress bar), no control of volume on the player (not an issue as you can control with iPad controls). the interface to switch playlists (I am thinking of albums) really deserves it's own gui instead of text links.

On the PC side I cannot run jPlayer in the browser as every attempt to open the master jPlayer .htm file results in a prompt to save it locally... I suspect the E587 is not setting the mime type properly.
The workaround seems to be to build a playlist (say in VLC) which has links to the .mp3 files.

Now the main irritation is the need to manually build playlists and album lists. Maybe someone has a better idea, or can create a program with gui to create the playlists.

My guess is there are quite a lot of devices out there with similar unused brain-dead 'nas' functionality that could be used in the same way. e.g. the Linksys WR610N router has a USB port which might be usable in the same way.

This is actually a way to escape the cage of the Apple Store... HTML5 web apps obviously can be run in Safari from LAN storage and they are becoming increasingly powerful... with it all coming over the LAN there are no data charges or caps.

First song to upload? Rolling Stones "Get off of my cloud"

Dosil