spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

subdivided

join:2010-12-16
Canada

Off-topic: Does anyone remember Rogers@Home launch speeds?

I subscribed to cable internet in the late 90's, but I can't remember how fast it was at the time. I recall in 2003 they gave a speed bump to 3mpbs (from 1.5) but can't remember the speeds in the 90's. My only late 90's memory of highspeed internet was downloading the RealPlayer installer at 60kb/s, but that's it.

Just wondering if anyone remembers?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:22
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
I got Shaw Wave in 1997, which later became Shaw@Home, and I had 10/1 speeds, until sometime in 2000 when Rogers & Shaw swapped their areas. After that Rogers quickly reduced the speeds to 3/384k, then 1.5/192k... At that time I ditched it and went DSL.
--

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
i had Rogers Wave service back in 97-98 in Ottawa when it launched, back then it was 4Mbit down and 400Kbit up. The speeds basically stayed the same for years and years before I had cancelled it in ~2003. At that time they were called @home.

subdivided

Canada
Oh right, I forgot it was called "Wave" at launch!

Thanks for the info on this.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
it also had a Lancity modem with giant fins.

BTC Kevin

join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON
kudos:1
I remember those modems, I was a national help desk CSR supporting them at the time.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to HiVolt
Shaw Wave here launched with Terayon TeraPro modems.

Toronto was split with Rogers and Shaw at the time... Rogers areas had the Lancity's, which were slower and had more issues than Shaw's Terayons... I remember many friends on the Rogers side which werent happy...

I had zero issues with the Terayon until Rogers took the area over and oversubscribed and everything turned to shit.
--

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
reply to subdivided
I had one of the first Terayon modems and no clue what my first speeds were but i remember hidding 1 MB/s download at one point and i was all amazed by the speed coming from dialup at that time. I loved my service back then

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to HiVolt
Another thing on Shaw back then was that you could hook up as many pc's as you wanted, with a simple hub or switch, each computer would get a real IP... No routers necessary. Rogers of course changed that when they took over, limited to 1 IP per modem.
--

subdivided

Canada
reply to jmck
I remember those modems! They looked so much more advanced than my 56k USRobotics modem

Didn't the Lancity have some sort of firmware mod/flash that let you have uncapped speeds? I always heard people talking about that but never knew anyone who actually had it on their modem.

videonerd

join:2007-01-21
reply to jmck
said by jmck:

i had Rogers Wave service back in 97-98 in Ottawa when it launched, back then it was 4Mbit down and 400Kbit up. The speeds basically stayed the same for years and years before I had cancelled it in ~2003. At that time they were called @home.

And the sad part is... upload speeds have not improved since then. In fact it's gone DOWN for the lowest tiers and only recently was raised a tad.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to subdivided
Hmmm....Rogers launched at 4M?

I recall Bell launched the Nortel 1Meg Modem at, surprise surprise, 1M/160k, Videotron was 1M/~200k, and I thought Rogers was the same at the time. This would be 1998, and speeds started to increase to 1.5M and then 3.0M in 2000-2001.

Bell had 3M residential service prior to the 1MM, but only briefly, and it wasn't PPPoE (neither was the 1MM when it was launched in Dec 1998, but became so in 1999 so that wholesalers could come on board) but used the same equipment as the business non-PPPoE services.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
I'm not sure what it actually launched at, all I know is when I could get cable internet in Ottawa/Orleans it was 3-4 Mbit (i remember downloading some files at 350K/sec the first day I got it).

I believe it had launched a few months before or even a year before in other parts of Ontario.

brassy

join:2004-01-09
Brantford, ON
reply to subdivided
said by subdivided:

I remember those modems! They looked so much more advanced than my 56k USRobotics modem

Didn't the Lancity have some sort of firmware mod/flash that let you have uncapped speeds? I always heard people talking about that but never knew anyone who actually had it on their modem.

was called fuckupc (after cable company UPC in Holland I think?)

And yes it uncapped your modem................or so I heard.................

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON
reply to subdivided
Probably off topic but the same technology was in use for more than 10 years before it came to consumers in the lucky areas it was tested in. Was used in industrial and commercial networks that could afford the modems and had things to connect to such as each other before there was an internet. The ironic thing was that a synchronous network was just assumed such as a 10/10 or higher. Cable companies later figured out modem costs but thought of broadband like they do TV, one way consumption networks with minimal upstream needs for control and monitoring. They still do and took forever to learn how to balance the networks.

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I got Shaw Wave in 1997, which later became Shaw@Home, and I had 10/1 speeds

I remember how awesome those speeds were at the time...nobody I knew online believed me that I had that with a residential connection!

QuantumPimp

join:2012-02-19
reply to subdivided
said by subdivided:

Just wondering if anyone remembers?

Don't remember the speed. I do remember getting a letter from the "abuse" department telling me to lower usage or else. Asking support what they meant resulted in "keep lowering usage until we tell you to stop"

I disconnected all services including cell phone, tv, and internet and left for DSL. Never went back.

urbang33k

join:2010-02-13
Canada
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Another thing on Shaw back then was that you could hook up as many pc's as you wanted, with a simple hub or switch, each computer would get a real IP... No routers necessary. Rogers of course changed that when they took over, limited to 1 IP per modem.

Cogeco in Burlington released the wave internet service mid to late 90's. I remember getting real IP's at each computer. no router. I also remember being able to browse Network neighbourhood and being able to see other customers computers if they were running windows 95 or higher. I used to be able to browse their shared folders, print to their shared printers. etc etc. It was lots of fun. hehehehe
--
Opinions and ideas expressed in my post are my own and in no way represent those of Bell Canada Enterprises, Bell Canada, Bell TV, Bell Internet, Bell Mobility, Bell Technical Solutions, Expertech, or any other partners under the BCE umbrella.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by urbang33k:

Cogeco in Burlington released the wave internet service mid to late 90's. I remember getting real IP's at each computer. no router. I also remember being able to browse Network neighbourhood and being able to see other customers computers if they were running windows 95 or higher. I used to be able to browse their shared folders, print to their shared printers. etc etc. It was lots of fun. hehehehe

Haha yeah, shaw had that at first too... it was like a big ol lan... until they closed netbios hehe...
--

dgass

join:2007-09-27
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to subdivided
I remember being on the waiting list with Rogers for the Wave service. I got the first appointment in the entire neighborhood March 1st 8-12 am. When I tested it out the first day, the only servers I could get a possible max out on was Microsoft's. It was 1MB/s Now upping from a solid dialup speed of 53.33Kbps was just jaw dropping. Then a few months later I couldn't get more than ~400KB/s at anytime of the day so they must have lowered the max speed.

Funny at that time I never thought of testing max UL speeds.

wasHighwire

@teksavvy.com
reply to subdivided
I signed up with Rogers@home just as they transitioned to DOCSIS. At that time, they had a package for Nortel telecommuters where you could purchase a SB5100 modem for about $100. The monthly fee at the time was $42. For the life of me, I can't remember the speeds, but I'm sure it was only 1mbps at first.

Service for the first year or so was so bad in Barrhaven that with all the bill credits, I pretty much got most of the first year for free.

Arcturus

join:2008-04-18
London, ON
reply to subdivided
I remember my first Rogers connection was a 400kbs shared up/down of bandwidth.

Was with a Zenith modem, I think I had that service in 1996. Possible late 1995 into 1996. So hard to remember offhand. I remember one month they cut me off, (no reason why) I tried calling them and the support guy said they cut me off, and he couldn't tell me why and couldn't fix me. I was rather confused. a week later (while using backup dialup) my bill showed up from Rogers for full price. So I connection a serial cable to my modem and turned my cable connection back on. I never did hear from Rogers about why it was turned off.

The upgrade path over 15+ years of Rogers was always a painfully slow process. I think in late 1996 or early 1997 I had a 3MB down connection, with of course a slow downgraded upstream of 256k.

My upstream stayed the same till around 2009 ish or so when it was finally upgraded to 0.5M

Canada/Rogers went from in 1996 to having one of the best residential home connections available, to now retard slow.

All while having a steady increase in billing every year.

I switched to Teksavvy the first week they were available in my area with cable. (DSL is horrible here).

Edit: I should add I have never used the Rogers DNS servers or Email servers since day 1. They had always been absolutely horrible.

infamouskid

join:2007-01-24
North York, ON
reply to subdivided
haha i remember this service.
they even gave you some @home cd full of useless tools.
anyways at launch here in toronto we had only 1 tier speed for 24.95.
the modem at launch was the large fin lancity,
speeds were 500k down / 500k up.
it was upgraded in 2002 to 1.5 meg down / 192-384 up
then one day in 2003 just stopped working.
tech support number stopped taking calls and that was that.
--
BELL CAN SUCKADANUTZ!

BTC Kevin

join:2011-10-01
Nepean, ON
I remember having a Bell 1 megaByte DL/ 128 UP service on one of the only 2 remotes at the time in Ottawa,

then they turned around and "upgraded" everyone services to a 2.5-5 megabit and told em... "LOOK how FAST it is!" And people fell for it.

Videl
Premium
join:2002-07-23
Scarborough, ON
reply to subdivided
I had Shaw Wave in GTA back in the late 90's. I think the speed was 5mbit.

And I had this modem:

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to Kardinal
Bell had symmetrical 2.2 meg service. Ralph at istop was one of the few who had it.

meglin1

join:2006-02-10
Ottawa, ON
I had Bell's ADSL service from about 1996 until 2008. It was a static IP service with 2M down 1M up. It was orphaned at Bell and from about 2004 I tried to upgrade to the then better 5M service but Bell could not seem to workout how to remove the service. I cancelled some time in 2005 and they successfully removed my account and email but not the service. I ended up with free service for the next three years. I only lost the service when I moved house.

petah

join:2002-07-27
L9T
reply to subdivided
Shaw@Home in Scarborough was 10mbps down and approx 1mbps up back in 1998/1999. Internet was blazingly fast!

After Shaw and Rogers swapped customers we got screwed. Rogers @home was crap.