Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit
reply to Dude111

Re:  

That is NOT correct.
All they are removing is the menu option to disable JavaScript.

You can still disable it using the Preference in about:config (which at that point makes it virtually worthless), or you can use somehting like NoScript.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to antdude

Re: Mozilla Firefox 23 Will Block Mixed SSL Content

There seems to be a trend underway to dumb down browser adjustability (or to export fine-grain control options to extensions). Opera is doing this right now to the protesting howls of users who detail-configured it in the past, and it appears Firefox may be moving in a similar direction. And, of course, there stands Windows 8. IMHO, this is the spreading fallout from a drift toward bright, shiny, pre-configured software that plays well on hand-helds and dazzles the eyes of the ooh-ooh-ooh crowd whose skill-sets are limited largely to pushing cute icons around a tiny screen and playing micro-games. Desktop developers seem dazzled by the prospects of getting that crowd to adopt their own particular software.

As one who uses desktop computers to accomplish meaningful work, I keep wondering when (or if) significant pushback against this "de-technifying" of desktop computers/software will come...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
said by Blackbird:

There seems to be a trend underway to dumb down...

IMO that is an across-the-board trend with anything of a technical nature. Developers are catering to "the average user" who typically have no clue about what they're using.

You know...
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Yep. Depressing article from Larry Seltzer:

"I can also see why this curated experience is so appealing to Microsoft. The history of DOS and Windows has shown that there really is no other -- or at least no better -- way to prevent malware.

It was always possible to do a very good job in securing systems by giving significant authority to administrators and locking down users. The problems come from the fact that folks resist these restrictions. The BYOD phenomenon is an outgrowth of user impatience with IT restrictions. But somehow they are OK with limitations that come from Apple.

So perhaps people will be happy with the restrictions coming from Microsoft too."

»betanews.com/2013/07/03/the-cura···ui-apps/

I think this will be my last computer. It's not much fun anymore and the situation is just going to get worse.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to therube

Re:  

said by therube:

That is NOT correct.
All they are removing is the menu option to disable JavaScript.

You can still disable it using the Preference in about:config (which at that point makes it virtually worthless), or you can use somehting like NoScript.

How long til' Mozilla does something that breaks NoScript's functionality though?

If they're bound and determined to force the operation of Java code in Fx with no ability to curtail it, why wouldn't they simply write in a "kill bit" for NoScript and keep doing it until NoScript withers away and dies?

Not suggesting that Mozilla would do this at all, but if they were bound & determined to "let the Java flow" that's how I would imagine they would have to proceed.

NefCanuck

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
Well I have no clue why they would want to make it hard to disable scripts!!!!!! (The average user isnt gonna know they can goto about:config and disable it there)

I think its quite stupid on thier part! (They are doing what MICROSOFT is doing and its not good)

jake337

@comcast.net
reply to antdude

Re: Mozilla Firefox 23 Will Block Mixed SSL Content

Would like to see this in the Opera browser.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Well I have no clue why they would want to make it hard to disable scripts!!!!!! (The average user isnt gonna know they can goto about:config and disable it there)

I think its quite stupid on thier part! (They are doing what MICROSOFT is doing and its not good)

Do they even know what JS is? Haha.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to NefCanuck
> How long til' Mozilla does something that breaks NoScript

Why should they, purposely?
Over time they've certainly made changes that NoScript has had to take into consideration.

> force ... Java

JavaScript is not Java

> write in a "kill bit" for NoScript

They could, but again, why?
If you use NoScript, you use it for a reason & are expected to know what it does & how to use it.

> bound & determined to "let the Java[Script] flow"

Because JavaScript is almost always needed.
(It need not be that way, but that is how it is, these days.)
For 99% it is ALWAYS needed.
For that other 1%, they know more or are expected to know more & decide to handle things in a way that gives them greater control.

> The average user isnt gonna know they can goto about:config and disable it there

That's the whole point.
The average user has no business disabling it, at all.

> Do they even know what JS is?

No.