spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

furnace

@websense.net

Channel Lineup

Anybody think that optimum will revamp thier lineups so that they are in some sort of order, with sports being grouped, kids, science, news, and so on?

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

1 recommendation

No

the majority of the customer base does not like change

And the people who post here will find something wrong with any channel realignment they come up with

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Hence, cableboxes should be able to reorder channels based on user input.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

bobmay

join:2001-08-08
Trenton, NJ

That is an excellent idea!

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to MxxCon

And you actually believe what one person/group wants, is what another person/group wants?

Those that do not like the change will scream, those that do, will be quiet, in order not to be told they are stupid.

Of course there is the very large group that would prefer no change because they already know where the channels they want are located and have no interest in trying to figure out where those channels have been moved.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I think he means reorder channels based on household/account # and/or have the option to reorder them on an individual box to your preference.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

yes, each user should be able to reorder channels however they want...and possibly have a few different presets to simplify that.
--

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2

That is what I have. Presets, and "channel lists" - as many as I want. I hope CV does not renumber everything - I'd probably have to setup all my lists again.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to MxxCon

Right now the boxes need to use cloud storage for some of the settings and for some of the guide. That means they have little internal memory available. So now you add a long list mapping all the channels(if you even can). You store that in the cloud and every channel change would require the box to check with the cloud, or you can move something else to the cloud and then have something else become much slower.

Certainly there are a lot of wish lists as to what they should do with their boxes, but I suspect the vast majority of users would not take the time to set up a different channel menu. If it really matters, get a HTPC, Windows Media center allows you to set up the guide anyway you want or I believe Tivo can do it too.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to furnace

I think the only channel lineup that should be changed is the HD line up so they all match their lower level number, or get rid of them completely and just access hd channels 100% from the lower number, 27 and 727 should both be discovery yet 727 is actually Velocity...

SirQAM

@verizon.net
reply to furnace

I recall when CV made the huge channel revamp in the early 2000's that moved just about every channel (except CNBC and perhaps Disney Channel). They argued at the time it was to group channels by genre and theme.

But they also said some position changes for broadcast over-the-air channels were mandated by the FCC. I believe that was false. The FCC cannot mandate that a cable company provide a specific channel designation for a broadcast station. The broadcaster could request such a designation, and the cable company could do their best to accommodate, but the FCC doesn't get involved in these matters.

If that were true, WNJN would be on channel 50 instead of 8. WRNN would be on channel 48 instead of 19. And so on...

But such a large move now may be a moot issue. No sooner would a cable company complete a revamp, and one or two channels would change their missions such as G4 and GMC, two recent examples. Such mission changes are becoming more frequent in today's increasing attempts at revenue-chasing experiments

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

said by SirQAM :

But they also said some position changes for broadcast over-the-air channels were mandated by the FCC. I believe that was false.

You might want to read.

»louise.hallikainen.org/FCC/FccRu···ndex.php
--

milan22

join:2008-12-17
Newark, NJ
reply to TheWiseGuy

said by TheWiseGuy:

And you actually believe what one person/group wants, is what another person/group wants?

Those that do not like the change will scream, those that do, will be quiet, in order not to be told they are stupid.

Of course there is the very large group that would prefer no change because they already know where the channels they want are located and have no interest in trying to figure out where those channels have been moved.

That's not what MxxCon was talking about. He never said anything about groups of people. He's talking about each individual user.

milan22

join:2008-12-17
Newark, NJ
reply to furnace

Back to the OP.

There's no reason for NEWS & SPORTS genre's NOT to be grouped together.

FIOS does.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

FIOS is younger, so they didn't get to the point where they can't fit new channels in between existing ones...unless they increment each type of programming by 100s..
--

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to TheWiseGuy

said by TheWiseGuy:

Right now the boxes need to use cloud storage for some of the settings and for some of the guide. That means they have little internal memory available. So now you add a long list mapping all the channels(if you even can). You store that in the cloud and every channel change would require the box to check with the cloud, or you can move something else to the cloud and then have something else become much slower.

Certainly there are a lot of wish lists as to what they should do with their boxes, but I suspect the vast majority of users would not take the time to set up a different channel menu. If it really matters, get a HTPC, Windows Media center allows you to set up the guide anyway you want or I believe Tivo can do it too.

please don't use "cloud" here. it is a misused marketing bullshit term. it absolutely does not apply here.
these boxes can easily store channel mapping in mem.
'display channel number' => 'internal channel number' does not take up that much mem. 4 + 4 bytes = 8 bytes * 1000 channels...whole 8kb. they will not have to go anywhere to fetch that data.
--

dm145

Clifton, NJ

Yea just like
Tru HD
Super HD

furnace

@comcast.net
reply to milan22

Exactly, fios does, I can't get fios though, my only choice is optimum, or cut done trees. I like that the new guide allows me to make a list of favorites, but when i'm just scrolling through, I would like to see what is on discovery, history, science, h2, ext, in the same scroll. Same thing with the news, it would be nice to see cnbc, fbn, fox, cnn, msnbc, all together. Just makes sense.

anonn

@optonline.net
reply to MxxCon

I think customized channel lineups could actually work pretty well on a smart tv app. The channel guide could probably also work a lot better too.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to furnace

Channel lineup is also motivated by money.

There are recent examples of competitor channels paying money to move to a better number so as to NOT be placed near the competitor.

I have no doubt that Cablevision has similar deals.

It would be nice, but in the current environment of carriage agreement HELL you can bet there's probably a fine line to deal with.

dm145

Clifton, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by Jmartz:

There are recent examples of competitor channels paying money to move to a better number so as to NOT be placed near the competitor.

Name some

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Here is an older example of Bravo paying for a better channel position, with CNBC being moved to a higher position. NBC fights back with antitrust concerns and then negotiates with Bravo and they flipped it back.

said by nytimes :

CNBC would have been replaced on Channel 15 by Bravo, a film and live entertainment network that had paid Time Warner Cable to get better placement on its lineup.

»www.nytimes.com/2001/08/03/nyreg···nbc.html

Some of the contracts do specify channel position in some manner, which is simply another item in the negotiations.

EDIT
Obviously these are normally not talked about much since neither side, the content companies or the MSOs, have a desire to publicize it. So most of the time when you hear about it, it will be due to antitrust concerns.

--