how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MoReInPuT

join:2009-03-17
NY

Help Finding Web-Host For My Situation

I want to create a nice website for my small business (comp repair). I can't decide on hostgator, bluehost, or namecheap. I only need to provide details on my services and I need to be able to have access to incoming emails through my phone and possibly an addon for firefox. I figured I could use wordpress for easy themes etc. I signed up with hostgator but maybe I should have looked elsewhere.

I would like to offer simple websites but how would I set the client up? Sign them up through a 3rd party site and give them the login info?

MoReInPuT

NY

Just found byethost.com That looks good too.

MoReInPuT

NY

1 edit
reply to MoReInPuT

Well I'm currently using hostgator and so far it's pretty good. Much easier to use then godaddy. Roundcube webmail seems pretty nice so far. Should I stick with this or go with namecheap or byethost? I just want to choose the right one for me.

1 year standard service with cpanel & fantastico:
Byethost/ifastnet $47.88
hostgator $95.52
namecheap $77.40

They all offer the same services but different prices. Should I go with byethost/ifastnet?

Thanks for any help,

MoreInput

MoReInPuT

NY

1 edit
reply to MoReInPuT

Beythost has as a nice reseller package which seems simply enough. »myownfreehost.net/index.php Wonder if it's worth trying since it's free to start out?

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to MoReInPuT

For a basic site, pretty much anything out there will be good enough. As long as you don't need something resource intensive, large amounts of bandwidth, or large amounts of disk space any mainstream host is going to be about the same as other mainstream hosts when it comes down to it.

Check out webhostingtalk.com, search for the particular hosting company, and see what the reviews say. All sites will have downtime no matter what their "uptime guarantee" says. What those outages are caused by and what their response to resolve the issue is what's most important.

Personally, I try to stay away from hosting sites with registrars. Convenience of one-stop-shopping can lead to overloaded servers, poor support, and more emphasis on upselling transactions then providing what's best for the subscriber. Not saying that all such providers are like that, but some are.

MoReInPuT

NY

said by cdru:

For a basic site, pretty much anything out there will be good enough. As long as you don't need something resource intensive, large amounts of bandwidth, or large amounts of disk space any mainstream host is going to be about the same as other mainstream hosts when it comes down to it.

Check out webhostingtalk.com, search for the particular hosting company, and see what the reviews say. All sites will have downtime no matter what their "uptime guarantee" says. What those outages are caused by and what their response to resolve the issue is what's most important.

Personally, I try to stay away from hosting sites with registrars. Convenience of one-stop-shopping can lead to overloaded servers, poor support, and more emphasis on upselling transactions then providing what's best for the subscriber. Not saying that all such providers are like that, but some are.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me. The site you mentioned is full of information! It's gonna be a long few days studying all the threads on there and asking for advice. Appreciate all your help!

Cheers

-MoreInput-

Nordy

join:2007-10-20
kudos:1
reply to MoReInPuT

Try »www.Hostek.com
I've hosted 2 sites there in the past and all was well. They respond almost instantly and will sometimes go out of the way to help you with your scripts etc.

But check

happy4ya
Premium
join:2004-10-31
West Babylon, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to MoReInPuT

I have the same type of computer business and have been using Namecheap for my domain name and Stablehost for my website and email hosting for a couple of years now, both at the recommendation of someone here and both have been great. The hosting is somewhere around $50 a year.