uniqs

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

video noise issue

I have a 51in 3D plasma tv, and it has an issue with video that I wonder if I can get some feedback on. I'd post pics of the problem, but no pic I have taken will show the problem, so I'll do the best I can to explain.

It's a Samsung (don't have the model this second but can get it when I get home) and overall operates with no issues, however, if you get a white background, say for instance, a hockey game, then in the center of the tv you will see purple blotches messing up the picture. It can be a white color, light colors, even sometimes can happen on flesh tones, and it's really distracting. It looks like some sort of interference.

It does this through all my inputs, HDMI, RCA, HDMI input from my computer, it doesn't matter, it just shows this distortion in the center. My setup is my tv on a regular stand, and my receiver is below it on the shelf, with speakers set on the corners of the room. I have a center smallbar speaker that sits in front of the tv, which I moved to see if maybe that was causing the problem, but that had no effect.

I've tried adjusting the color balances, the brightness, etc, with little change. If I tone it to "soft" the effect isn't as pronounced as say on vivid, but it's clearly still visible. The most annoying thing is I can't get a picture of it doing this, so I can show someone what it's doing. If I pause something on screen that makes this happen, a picture will come out clear. argh!

The unit has plenty of time left on its warranty, but I would rather try some things myself first, before I look at having it serviced, and likely taken to be worked on.

Ideas?

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Probably a defective display board. "purple haze" appears to be a proper search term for it.

BTW, instead of trying to make a photo at the right time, you can just make a video and grab the frame that shows it best.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

said by aurgathor:

Probably a defective display board. "purple haze" appears to be a proper search term for it.

Damn, I was hoping for something NOT defective. I had issues with my previous plasma, which was a Panasonic, and it's faulty power boards, which was why I bought the Samsung.
quote:
BTW, instead of trying to make a photo at the right time, you can just make a video and grab the frame that shows it best.
Ok, I'll try and see if that will work.
BoulderHill1
join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL

BoulderHill1

Damn, that kinda sucks.

Defective parts happen across a lot of brands.

I personally went with Panasonic because I had seen a friend having issues with Samsung. My Panasonic is still going. Go figure.

captokita
Premium Member
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

said by BoulderHill1:

I personally went with Panasonic because I had seen a friend having issues with Samsung. My Panasonic is still going. Go figure.

I actually think my 50in Panasonic was a better tv than this Samsung is. The first power board failed on it 11 months after I bought it, so it was covered under warranty. The repair place then took near 3 months to get it repaired, because they couldn't get the part from Panasonic. Then the replacement board they got from Panasonic was also defective. (the whole batch was) If you powered on the tv, it would run 24/7 without a hitch, turn it OFF, and it wouldn't come back on, just the power light would blink at you. If you drained the power completely from it, it would then come back on, and again, run 24/7 until you turned it off. They replaced it again, which took another 2 weeks to get the new power board in, and it ran fine for another year and a half when it started doing the same thing again. Now it was out of warranty, and the cheapest board I could find was around $300. I didn't want to put that kind of money out on it even though it's an easy thing to replace, I just bought the Samsung. The Panasonic sits in my spare bedroom and my wife keeps nagging me to get rid of it.