uniqs
share rss forum feed

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5

Patch 5.3 Adds Off-Spec Loot and Rewards

Patch 5.3 Adds Off-Spec Loot and Rewards
In the upcoming patch 5.3, we’re adding a new “Loot Specialization” option that will give you more control over the loot drops and quest rewards you receive that are based on your class specialization (spec). This includes items obtained through bonus rolls, Raid Finder loot, the Heroic Scenarios coming in patch 5.3, and Mists of Pandaria quests. This new option will allow you to, for example, enter into Raid Finder as a Protection Paladin, but receive loot appropriate for a Holy Paladin.

To change your spec-specific drops, you’ll right-click your character portrait, and select the “Loot Specialization” menu option. The “Default” setting refers to your current spec, and you’ll have the option to choose from any available class specs (e.g. Frost, Fire, or Arcane). This option can be changed at any time you’re able to swap specs, which generally means while out of combat, allowing you to change which spec’s gear you’ll get from each boss within a single raid. Need those healing bracers from Tortos but that DPS off-hand from Megaera? No problem!

Right now, it’s difficult to collect off-spec gear easily, which can make it tough to switch roles if you decide you want to start healing or tanking. This change will allow people to play the specs they’re most comfortable with while collecting loot for another should they want to try out a new role . . . or even fully transition. Going from DPS to tanking or healing—especially when you’ve never done it before—can be daunting, and gathering up the appropriate gear can be a good first step. We want to help make it a more comfortable one.

I like it. Anyone else notice that 5-mans were not mentioned? The writing is on the wall folks.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
well they have already told us no new ones for this expac, if this system works the telling will be in the upcoming Blizzcon if they say no more 5 mans at all.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Carpie
No 5-mans cause this place is dying.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
shouldnt you be making us some boudan

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
said by cymraeg:

shouldnt you be making us some boudan

You want sausage in yours, right?

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
uh ya, do you even sausage bro?

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to Carpie
No 5 man means what? A new player quests from 1-90 then boom, go into 10man/25man raid? :P

navymaverick

join:2011-07-21
Papillion, NE
kudos:3
I think it means no additional five mans or five man loots. Meaning you have to climb the gear latter with dailies or LFR or raids.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
said by navymaverick:

I think it means no additional five mans or five man loots. Meaning you have to climb the gear latter with dailies or LFR or raids.

yes which is why if they do away with them for the emerald dream or whatever they decide to name the next one i will say goodbye.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO
reply to Phantasee
said by Phantasee:

No 5-mans cause this place is dying.

No, it's "dieing". You spoil the meme if you spell it "dying". Agreed, though - seems like the importance of dungeons/heroic dungeons in gearing up is really de-emphasized with MoP. Now it's "get into LFR as soon as you can, using whatever combination of PvP/VP gear gets you there". If there had been 2 or 3 new 5-man heroics that came out with 5.2... and these dropped gear somewhere in the 475-485 ilvl range... that would be another option for people trying to hit the 480 ilvl needed to queue for ToT. Also, it's a nice option for people who like to run with friends/guild members, but have trouble finding enough people to do 10-mans.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
reply to cymraeg
They're not going to do away with 5-mans completely. That'd be silly. People enjoy them - it's just that a portion of the playerbase detests running them over and over again. There's also the often restated "you can have several new dungeons, or we can give you a new raid tier".

Personally, as someone who raids - and it's not just with guildmembers - I'd rather see new raids. 5-mans are too easy when you're already in equivalent ilvl gear - except for that one piece they added that fits your itemization *perfectly* and thus you need to run the 5-mans over and over until it drops, and hope that someone else doesn't take it.

Also, there's no sense of progression in 5-mans. There's no cheering over vent after killing that last boss that has been frustrating you for weeks. Why? Because 5-mans are easy. They're *made* easy, so that more people can access them. Going from 5 to 10/25 makes sense. It's moving forward with a larger force to defeat the enemy. I will admit that sometimes it makes sense in the storyline to have an elite group take on a special mission - but isn't that essentially what raiding is? You've got the whole Alliance/Horde behind you, and you 10/25 are the people going in to fight the Thunder King. You *are* the small elite group going to do what must be done.

Also, previous tiers you can do with battletag friends, so you're not even limited by your server anymore for getting the gear for ToT LFR. If you don't have enough friends/guild members to do 10-mans, you have several options: make more friends, recruit to your guild, or find/create a guild-blind raid group. Check out Openraid.us and find one.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to Caelharrad
said by Caelharrad:

Agreed, though - seems like the importance of dungeons/heroic dungeons in gearing up is really de-emphasized with MoP. Now it's "get into LFR as soon as you can, using whatever combination of PvP/VP gear gets you there".

not de-emphasized, heroics are a great 1st step into the low LFR's. What they worked towards is the gap between hardcores and casuals. They stated they wanted more time for people to be in the "catch up" phase so those that are raiding in the current tier don't feel that thier hard work was worth nothing as some scrub gets to the same ilvl in a matter of days.
--
Blade with whom I have lived, blade with whom I now die; Serve right and justice one last time; Seek one last heart of evil, still one last life of pain; Cut well old friend, and then farewell.

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
I agree with you here - your gear progression is dungeons/scenarios, then raiding (be it LFR or normal). I know in Wrath I got tired of ICC 5-mans really quick, on top of raiding and dailies. In Cataclysm troll/HoT 5-mans did the same. It felt like a step backwards, but that's where the gear was, so it had to be done.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
reply to stonhinge
as I said Greg hinted that they are considering it in a tweet, so it is not impossible that they would ditch 5 man content, for these weak content scenarios, and for the prior 3 expansions we have had new 5 mans along with new raid tiers, and I would argue that the ICC 5 mans were some of the best ones they have made, it actually makes me sad that you can't queue for them after you hit 80 now.

For people that don't raid you can progress your character through 5 mans, just not to the level of raiders. Let us make something clear LFR is not raiding, anyone who believes it is , is blowing smoke up their own ass, it is nothing more than a 25 man target dummy with some bad shit on the ground that is negated after 2 weeks of people running the dungeon. Blizzard knows this all too well, which is why they run a thin line on the ilvl distribution from it to a normal raid, because if it was no where near a normal raid ilvl it wouldn't get run at all, as it stands now they had to make it the standard progression model to justify having it, by not making actual heroic 5 mans. 5 mans were not always as easy as these or the HoT heroics, there is a reason why as a tank i made good coin in TBC for running people through heroics, how many people wiped on Arthas in Halls of Reflection or hell that whole dungeon even after getting some gear was tough.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
said by cymraeg:

it is nothing more than a 25 man target dummy with some bad shit on the ground

Who are you kidding, this is all raiding is. The difference is gear and a much lower margin for error.
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
well if the raids nowadays is the same then i am glad i no longer do them, so you no longer have to make a strategy confer with your team when to use cooldowns , who is going to soak damage, where the raid is going to position themselves during certain phases, when was the last time you went a gathered pots and food for an lfr, do your tanks not talk to each other bout when to swap, or who is going to take the boss or adds, these are the things that make a raid a raid, if your raids feel like an lfr to you then i would suggest moving on to another guild.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
By this time in the game, most raid boss mechanics can be summarized by mentioning a different boss you did them on. Stack here, stay out of that, tank swap on/after this, burn here move there. In it's basic form raiding, either LFR or regular is nothing more than moving around while staying alive and either doing damage, healing or maintaining aggro, which are all overcome with time and gear. Granted many derps can't understand x mechanic over y, but that is all raiding is, situational awareness while performing your roll.
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
kudos:1
Not exactly.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to cymraeg
said by cymraeg:

uh ya, do you even sausage bro?

Do you even bacon bro?

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
we are on cajun food, do you even ettoufee?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by cymraeg:

we are on cajun food, do you even ettoufee?

Naw bra I don't do that french-y stuff.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
you should it is awesome, now i want a benet, damn it

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Find a cute and/or hot (must be at-least 18), smart girl to convince me and I might.

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA

Mattphill

join:2012-12-21
Somerset, KY
reply to stvnbrs
said by stvnbrs:

By this time in the game, most raid boss mechanics can be summarized by mentioning a different boss you did them on. Stack here, stay out of that, tank swap on/after this, burn here move there. In it's basic form raiding, either LFR or regular is nothing more than moving around while staying alive and either doing damage, healing or maintaining aggro, which are all overcome with time and gear. Granted many derps can't understand x mechanic over y, but that is all raiding is, situational awareness while performing your roll.

Dude, no. Did you do Elegon pre-nerf in iLvl 483 gear? "Ok guys, situational awareness . . don't stand in stuff. . . perform your role. . . . if you've done LFR you should be good" YEAH RIGHT!? lol. No offense but your way off on this one.

Antonica
Premium
join:2002-09-02
kudos:1
Actually he did. He was with us with our first Elegon Kill. Yes Raiding is MUCH more difficult than LFR, but it's just more mechanics and less room for error, not a completely seperate concept. Same boss, mostly same abilities.
Expand your moderator at work

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Venom1

Re: Patch 5.3 Adds Off-Spec Loot and Rewards

said by Venom1:

(youtube clip)

naw man I meant get such a girl to convince me in person, not via video

Endymion

join:2009-11-04
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Carpie
Anybody know if 5.3 is coming today with the extended maintenance?

qualitybobby
Premium
join:2009-12-29
Middleville, NY
Not today. There still isn't a release candidate on the PTR yet. We've got pre-patch downloads now, so I figure about 3 weeks or so.