how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dlewis23

join:2005-04-18
Boca Raton, FL

Server Download Speed Issue From Servers

I recently ordered 2 new dedicated servers and ever sense I've been having an issue with the download speeds I get from the servers at home and it seems mostly on AT&T connections.

I have a 18 Mbps and when downloading from these servers I see anywhere from 250 KB/s - 1.2 MB/s. It's all over the place, never consistent.

I've been working with the host for over a week to try and figure this out but nothing is working. I was hopping to get a few speed tests comparing the results from the 2 servers.

If anyone has any suggestions to try and resolve this that would be great. So far we have tried replacing the NIC, cables changing subnets and routers. Nothing has worked.

After all we have done trying to fix it noting has worked for all the AT&T connections I test on. If I download on Comcast I can max the connection no problem. 50 Mbps Comcast gets 6 MB/s download all day every day, so to me that says its not a problem with the host or server.

Server 1: »69.163.33.58/downloads/test100.zip

Server 2: »69.163.33.42/downloads/100MBtest.zip

Thanks

Frodo

join:2006-05-05

Gave it a try on my 12Mb connection - 202 seconds to get the 100MBtest.zip.

Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
 StartTime = Timer
objShell.Run "c:\bin\GnuWin32\bin\wget.exe http://69.163.33.42/downloads/100MBtest.zip", 1, True
 EndTime = Timer
   TimeIt = EndTime - StartTime
wscript.echo TimeIt
Set objShell = Nothing

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to dlewis23

Tried with my Sonic.net "Fusion" (ADSL2+) 15 Mbps line.

15 Mpbs sevice download reports.

dlewis23

Boca Raton, FL

That's the way its suppose to be. But for some reason I can't get anything close to that on U-verse

dlewis23

Boca Raton, FL
reply to dlewis23

Called AT&T today figured it would be a waste of time but decided to give it a shot.

It was a waste of time. Was told AT&T doesn't guarantee any speed for personal servers and that nothing was wrong. Even tho its not a personal server of any kind and this only happens on AT&T connections around me.

snitzle_iii

join:2004-12-06
Dublin, CA
reply to dlewis23

i too have 18mb connection. the first server gave me better results maxed out at 18mb. took a while to get there ie maxed @ 18 when it was 75% done. the second server only maxed at 1.4mb and was at 1.0mb for a while

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
reply to dlewis23

I have a 12mb Uverse line and I just tried the second link and got a peak of 1.1MB download. Looked just fine to me.

dlewis23

Boca Raton, FL

Thanks for testing. I've narrowed the problem down to South Florida specifically. I've tested from Miami to Port St. Lucie and every Uverse connection or POTS ATT DSL line I've tried gets horrible results. Sometimes less then 100 KB/s on a 6 Mbps DSL line.

Darknessfall

join:2012-08-17
kudos:2

1 edit

When I downloaded I started off with 1.8 MB but by the time I got near the end I got to around 600 KB/s on Comcast.