share rss forum feed

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..

Insight encourages owning modem?

Just called to have new 10.0 internet installed (It's really Road Runner Standard since I live in Columbus OH but the lady in sales loved to keep calling it "Broadband 10.0")

When we got past the package part of the order she was like "you may provide your own modem or rent ours for a monthly fee"

Was kinda of surprised she even mentioned modem ownership as I know cable companies love that monthly income..

OSUGoose

join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH
Insight Columbus has never cared, tho they will give you heartburn over troubleshooting issues when you have your own. Every tech will say if you just had one of ours you wouldn't have these problems. 9/10 times the fix they will do is to put their own modem in.

Matt7

Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
said by OSUGoose:

Insight Columbus has never cared, tho they will give you heartburn over troubleshooting issues when you have your own. Every tech will say if you just had one of ours you wouldn't have these problems. 9/10 times the fix they will do is to put their own modem in.

Interesting -- I've had Insight twice before at two other locations and was never asked... I am going to go with whatever they give me at this point... since I don't think this area has been upgraded to DOCSIS 3 yet. [I know we're not going to see higher speed tiers at this point until Time Warner finally morphs our internet into their system completely end of June] --- though I wonder why Columbus is last when Columbus Insight is already tied into the Road Runner (TWI) system. [and from the FAQ I read online that TW doesn't plan any channel line up changes at this point yet]

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH
My only guess is were smaller then the other markets.

Matt7

Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
said by OSUGoose:

My only guess is were smaller then the other markets.

Had a nice chat with the Time Warner install tech that installed my HSI today.. He said that he wasn't sure why they chose Columbus last in the transition.. also learned that Time Warner tries to not use Contractors for most installs unless totally needed that's the overflow work they get.. he said that their still upgrading Insight's plant (upgrading CMTS's to support DOCSIS 3.0) and hopefully will be able to offer "Wide band" after the switch over.

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH
Interesting, was it a TWC branded Tech or a ex-Insight one.

I was told my CMTS is D3 already about 6 months ago.

Matt7

Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
said by OSUGoose:

Interesting, was it a TWC branded Tech or a ex-Insight one.

I was told my CMTS is D3 already about 6 months ago.

He worked for Time Warner (not the new time warner / INS)

I just got my own modem and hooked it up (going to take their RCA modem back)

I purchased a DOCSIS 3.0 modem... I am getting 6 channels on DS and 3 channels Up.. so I guess I am on a DOCSIS 3.x CMTS even though they don't offer higher than 15 / 1 right now with Insight.

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH
Same here, im running the Motorola SBG6580, which tech support thought it was strange since im on a D2 speed package why was it trying to use all 6 channels.

Matt7

Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
said by OSUGoose:

Same here, im running the Motorola SBG6580, which tech support thought it was strange since im on a D2 speed package why was it trying to use all 6 channels.

The Tech guy I got on the phone didn't question it -- I just said I want to use my own modem and here is the HFC Mac address to put into ICOMS :P

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH
Eh I had a tech support call and the guy turned on the remote access w/o asking and made the remark that it was trying to use all 6 channels on DS when it should only be using 1 since I'm on a D2 speed package. I truly don't know if he knew what he was doing or not.

Matt7

Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
said by OSUGoose:

Eh I had a tech support call and the guy turned on the remote access w/o asking and made the remark that it was trying to use all 6 channels on DS when it should only be using 1 since I'm on a D2 speed package. I truly don't know if he knew what he was doing or not.

Just because your on a D2 tier like all of us on Insight Columbus are at this point because they don't offer higher tiers yet... does not mean D3 is bad.. In fact D2 tiers are great on D3 because of the multiple DS and US channels it allows for better bandwidth management.. As you know if a downstream or upstream channel is congested with multiple D1/D2 users your on D2 your speeds will suffer..

OSUGoose

Columbus, OH
I wasn't saying it was bad, the tech support guy was, I ended up hanging up on the clown as he was just making up excuses, even said testing to speedtest.ohiordc.rr.com was unreliable during peak periods. Its 15 minutes away!

Matt7

Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
said by OSUGoose:

I wasn't saying it was bad, the tech support guy was, I ended up hanging up on the clown as he was just making up excuses, even said testing to speedtest.ohiordc.rr.com was unreliable during peak periods. Its 15 minutes away!

Sorry I should have been more clear - I meant that the Tech shouldn't said it was only should be using one on a D2 tier... yeah not all techs are created equal.. I used to do Cable support for another company.. [I actually got asked by my installer if I had worked in the industry because I knew to many terms and asked to much]