share rss forum feed

Crusty

join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
·CenturyLink

[Embarq] Slow....for a while now....AGAIN

Well, like clock work, CTL is slowed again in the North Texas area to a crawl at times I want to use it. It has been this way now for at least the past 5 months. I've only just reached the point to where I must get on here and put it out for everyone else to see.

Last I was told by CTLJoey, a few months back, is that there is a known issue down the line and it will take a few months of engineering to correct.

Any update Joey? I can barely game at night with high pings yet alone watch any streaming services.

Boss302_1970

join:2009-12-11

probably oversold in your area

Crusty

Sanger, TX

Oh it has been for sure...for years. They temporarily fixed it but it's come back.

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7
reply to Crusty

Hey Crusty. I don't have any updates as I'm not sure exactly who you are based on your DSLR username. I've been in touch with a few people in Sanger in the past few months, but I don't see any posted known issues on the accounts I can find. We'll certainly look into this trouble for you. Send us an email to my attention and I'll let you know what I can find out. TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com. Thanks.

- Joey

Crusty

Sanger, TX

Crusty = daddyg_76266

You told me that there were issues in Decataur (i believe this was the town) and that yall discovered them after 2nd/3rd lvl eng looked at it.

CenturyLink
VIP
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID
kudos:7

Ok.... good deal! I didn't realize that was you! Just sent an email your way. Thanks.

Joey

kahleeb

join:2002-12-10
Decatur, TX
reply to Crusty

Are the issues in Decatur and Wise County fixed now?

Crusty

Sanger, TX
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
·CenturyLink

said by kahleeb:

Are the issues in Decatur and Wise County fixed now?

No and it's quickly getting worse.

kahleeb

Decatur, TX

I find it hard to believe it could get worse than it used to be. Why can't the government heavily fine or shut down Centurylink for being a monopoly in these areas and failing to provide a service they charge for?

GetMoney

join:2010-06-11
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

You do realize that CenturyLink is not a monopoly right? No where in the USA are they a "monopoly". Nothing stops any other company from coming in and providing service. Why do you feel that it's CenturyLink's ultimate responsiblity to provide cutting edge broadband service to underserved areas? You want them to spend a ton of money and have their expenses exceed their revenues just to make your home internet connection good? I know it sucks, but that's a bit of the opportunity cost of living in a rural area.

kahleeb

Decatur, TX

Thanks for informing us! I guess, with your logic, anyone who doesn't live in a big city should not expect to get electricity, have to use a horse and buggy to get around, and have to hunt animals to get food.

Seriously, get that stick out of your butt. Good, high speed Internet is as important as all of the above. Centurylink and all others who provide a service, where no other options exist, should fix the problems. I feel the government should be giving tax breaks to get fiber laid coast to coast.

Crusty

Sanger, TX
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
·CenturyLink
reply to Crusty

Click for full size
Fail #1
Click for full size
Fail #2
Click for full size
Fail #3
Click for full size
Fail #4
said by GetMoney:

You do realize that CenturyLink is not a monopoly right? No where in the USA are they a "monopoly". Nothing stops any other company from coming in and providing service. Why do you feel that it's CenturyLink's ultimate responsiblity to provide cutting edge broadband service to underserved areas? You want them to spend a ton of money and have their expenses exceed their revenues just to make your home internet connection good? I know it sucks, but that's a bit of the opportunity cost of living in a rural area.

This made me chuckle. How about some facts about the current state of my connection. I pay for the 10m/768k.

I hardly live in a rural area and definitely not even close to "last mile". This ongoing failure of CTL to provide their customers with what they pay for, or hell even close to it is highly frustrating. It comes in waves. This particular wave has lasted about six months now. The graphs above are YTD information and it clearly indicates issues that they need to address. However, they won't for quite sometime.

And yes, they need to spend a ton of money to upgrade their shit so that I can enjoy the connection that I PAY for.

Before you say - change ISP's...I can't. They are the ONLY option I have but that's not a "monopoly" right???

GetMoney

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to kahleeb

said by kahleeb:

I feel the government should be giving tax breaks to get fiber laid coast to coast.

I agree with you 100% right there.

GetMoney

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Crusty

said by Crusty:

said by GetMoney:

This made me chuckle. How about some facts about the current state of my connection. I pay for the 10m/768k.

I hardly live in a rural area and definitely not even close to "last mile". This ongoing failure of CTL to provide their customers with what they pay for, or hell even close to it is highly frustrating. It comes in waves. This particular wave has lasted about six months now. The graphs above are YTD information and it clearly indicates issues that they need to address. However, they won't for quite sometime.

And yes, they need to spend a ton of money to upgrade their shit so that I can enjoy the connection that I PAY for.

Before you say - change ISP's...I can't. They are the ONLY option I have but that's not a "monopoly" right???

I'm sorry to assume, my bad.

CenturyLink definitely isn't a monopoly. I know you as the end user feel that way, but nothing is stopping any other companies from providing service to your location. NOTHING. It's technically against the law for monopoly in the USA, but we all know that companies with fat pockets get to screw over the little guy.

CenturyLink is actually more of an oligopoly. Here's their latest commercial:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso

It does suck for you all and I'm sorry you have to deal with it. Maybe one day someone will come in there and compete. Maybe you'll live there when that time comes.

Crusty

Sanger, TX

The video is hilarious...LOL

GetMoney

Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Crusty:

Pretty much sums up a large portion of CenturyLink's customer base

Crusty

Sanger, TX
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
·CenturyLink

1 edit

said by GetMoney:

said by Crusty:

Pretty much sums up a large portion of CenturyLink's customer base

Oh man...in a nutshell...it's rather sad what CTL puts its customers through.

Crusty

Sanger, TX
reply to Crusty

Still suffering. Attempted to watch a 7 min Youtube video on the galaxy s3 last night while connected to home wifi....buffered for 50% of the video before I went LTE and had zero issues.

Crusty

Sanger, TX
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
·CenturyLink
reply to Crusty

1000 CST and get this garbage.

C:\Users\Greg>tracert www.google.com

Tracing route to www.google.com [74.125.225.241]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms tx-184-5-80-1.dhcp.embarqhsd.net [184.5.80.1]
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 26 ms 26 ms 26 ms 206.51.81.0
5 196 ms 216 ms 216 ms bb-dllstx97-jx9-01-ae0-0.core.centurytel.net [208.110.248.18]
6 243 ms 216 ms 216 ms 74.125.51.237
7 35 ms 34 ms 32 ms 72.14.233.65
8 27 ms 26 ms 27 ms 209.85.240.77
9 27 ms 26 ms 26 ms dfw06s26-in-f17.1e100.net [74.125.225.241]

Trace complete.

DL speeds at current time are on par with what I pay but I'm lagging crazy like.

Crusty

Sanger, TX
reply to Crusty

Probably nothing to do with "issues" but still highly frustrating when it takes 15+ mins to upload 71MB of information.

WTB faster speeds plz.