spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Venom14
join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA

Venom14 to Phantasee

to Phantasee

Re: How can Wow bring back vanilla/BC feel?

said by Phantasee:

vanilla gameplay/graphics

why? tablets and smartphones can display better graphics than vanilla wow had.

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee

said by Venom14:

said by Phantasee:

vanilla gameplay/graphics

why? tablets and smartphones can display better graphics than vanilla wow had.

Very true. Dem resolutions.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to navymaverick

Premium Member

to navymaverick
This whole thread:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· U3BELZEo

Venom14
join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA

Venom14

did you not scroll up to read 5 posts before your link? late to the party /smh

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

mine is more Dude111ish.

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw to navymaverick

Premium Member

to navymaverick
I think the problem is not with the current content, the current content is better. The problem, as others have pointed out, is with the community.

If that little punk talking trash knew I lived down the street and that he might get his ass kicked if he talks trash about my mother, then he may just think twice before opening his mouth. Likewise if people had to live with the consequences of their actions, they would think twice or be ostracized.

I saw it happen to several people in Vanilla. People who did stupid things to where their server rep prohibited them from getting into a decent guild or getting invites to 5 mans or premade PVP. The only way for them to get out of the hole they had dug was to reroll. And rerolling back then was an enormous undertaking.

There were no server changes or renames.

So, IMHO to get rid of this problem you would need to target some of the following "new" features that were not present in Vanilla:

Name changes
Race changes
Server transfers
Cross-realm BG's
Shared Zones
Cross-realm LFR
Cross-realm Arena

We would need to make it impossible to be anonymous.

Getting rid of all of those things would suck. But to get more of a Vanilla feel back, people would need to know they lived in a World of Consequences.

This would probably require that some lower population realms be merged in order to have viable populations. It would also make ques worse. But overall, getting rid of most of these features would probably go a long way towards rebuilding the missing the sense of community that has disappeared.

I suspect however, that the pill is probably too bitter for most to be willing to swallow it.

Goldheart
join:2002-06-09
Las Cruces, NM

Goldheart to navymaverick

to navymaverick
I agree that the current community is the really lame.

I suppose that it could be a combination of many factors. The current financial and job environment = stressing people. I really hope it not due to widespread poor parenting!

Also, as previously mentioned, many of the conveniences Blizzard has added has had the unfortunate side effect of no consequences to rude behavior. That and the apparently no enforcement by Blizzard.

I don't believe that bringing back the "vanilla feel" should involve reversion to previous code. Bringing back the sense of community, I think, would go a long way towards that.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to saillaw

Premium Member

to saillaw
It doesn't help that even back in BC/WotLK Blizz was locking and deleting threads about known ninjas and douchebags--they were very anti-community justice.

Couple that with the features you just mentioned, and it's the perfect breeding ground for ass-hattery and all sorts of gray behavior.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

It doesn't help that even back in BC/WotLK Blizz was locking and deleting threads about known ninjas and douchebags--they were very anti-community justice.

"Ninja'ing" isn't illegal/against TOS.

Regardless of spec/gear they have the same right to the gear as you do technically.

I'm not defending the act, but I don't think it's an argument against Blizzard. I woulnd't play this game if Blizzard policed it heavily.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

What I meant was that even back then, Blizzard was against server communities policing themselves. You weren't allowed to get the word out that a certain player was a known ninja and would always grab the weapon/trinket if it dropped. Blizz enforced the idea that all players were free to do what they wanted, because they paid the $15/month, but then shielded ninjas from the effects of their actions (getting a server-wide blacklist). I guess it's ok to RP some good ole bondage in Goldshire, but dealing with the fallout of stealing gear from others is too extreme for Blizzard. /pandora-mode-off

So back then I didn't actually use a friends list for friends, but added the ninjas so I could set a note before they changed their names, and I checked the name of every pug against my friends list. Now, there is no such thing as a server community anymore.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
I think the comment wasn't intended that Blizzard needed to take action, it was more that they were preventing the community from taking action. True it isn't against the ToS so they don't need to enforce anything. But don't deny the community from knowing and dealing with these ninjas.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

I wish putting a character on /ignore automatically put their battleID on ignore. At least give me the ability to make it so (if this already exists... please let me know, lol).

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I never saw these threads deleted unless they were in the wrong forum category. You can still find threads on Tich - "don't group with ____ terrible dps" etc.

I hated this forum because of how heavily it was moderated compared to the WoW forums so my experience is entirely different then yours.

Taino
join:2010-10-15
Port Richey, FL

Taino to navymaverick

to navymaverick
I honestly don't think you can bring back the Vanilla feel. The genie is out of the bottle. Remember the huge backlash on how "difficult" cata 5 mans were at the onset of that xpac. Personally as someone who remembers how difficult certain 5 mans were in TBC even for raid geared toons (until patch 2.4 anyway) I don't see a return to that anytime soon.

Personally I am glad attunements are gone. Nothing sucked more than getting a group of people attuned to a raid, only to have them pilfered by other guilds.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

1 recommendation

Skittles

Premium Member

said by Taino:

I honestly don't think you can bring back the Vanilla feel. The genie is out of the bottle. Remember the huge backlash on how "difficult" cata 5 mans were at the onset of that xpac.

I believe you are right. WoW just came out at the right time offering the right things in a package that was palatable to the masses....a perfect storm of events that I dont think can be duplicated.

We cant go back. Thats like saying oh man I remember vinyl records and they're the best...we should all be listening to vinyl records, why doesnt iTunes wake up and sell records. While your opinion maybe right (and yes I am one of those that think Vanilla was the best) , and while others may argue that cassettes, 8 tracks or CDs were the best (expansions) the masses dont want it, they want easy to download, play the way they want mpgs....

and so it goes...

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee

Pretty much that, Skittles.
GungHoSOB
join:2013-04-18
Honolulu, HI

GungHoSOB to Taino

to Taino
said by Taino:

... Remember the huge backlash on how "difficult" cata 5 mans were at the onset of that xpac.

Yes, but it was fun. I just got my tank into 5 man heroics for pandaland and was expecting a wipefest. I'm under hit cap, under expertise cap, bare minimum ILVL, no enchants, not reforged, and it was a joke. If I tried that with ZA/ZG when it was first released for Cata I woulda got stomped by the first pack of trash.

The point being made that people complaining about difficulty are not doing difficult content is only half an argument. Is there difficult content available? Yes. Is there a challenge available to people who can't/won't raid? No. There should be challenging content available for casuals as well as raiders, and this is coming from someone who spent two weeks smashing my face against Heroic Spine before the nerf-fest.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

1 recommendation

Adalicia to navymaverick

to navymaverick
Yes, I eagerly look forward to cat herding in raids, farming for hours for the mats I need to raid (or paying someone to farm for me), people having only the slightest inkling of what they're doing with their class (generally speaking), Warriors being the only tank and then being the least desirable tank because they had to be godly to deal with AoE pulls in instances like SH where Paladins simply continued the old face roll mechanic, waiting in Shatt looking for a group for anything other than SV and SL as a warlock because you're only useful CC was Banish and no group would take you over a rogue or a mage for anything that didn't have elementals, spending months at a progression wall due to the nature of attunements and being the revolving door guild, etc, etc, etc....

Sounds great, lets bring that back.
Adalicia

Adalicia to GungHoSOB

to GungHoSOB
said by GungHoSOB:

said by Taino:

... Remember the huge backlash on how "difficult" cata 5 mans were at the onset of that xpac.

Yes, but it was fun. I just got my tank into 5 man heroics for pandaland and was expecting a wipefest. I'm under hit cap, under expertise cap, bare minimum ILVL, no enchants, not reforged, and it was a joke. If I tried that with ZA/ZG when it was first released for Cata I woulda got stomped by the first pack of trash.

The point being made that people complaining about difficulty are not doing difficult content is only half an argument. Is there difficult content available? Yes. Is there a challenge available to people who can't/won't raid? No. There should be challenging content available for casuals as well as raiders, and this is coming from someone who spent two weeks smashing my face against Heroic Spine before the nerf-fest.

Challenge Modes would be what your asking for jackass. Hate fuck heroics aren't the answer.

BG5150
join:2008-08-14
New York, NY

BG5150 to navymaverick

to navymaverick
said by navymaverick:

4. If you do not have a level 90, you cannot wear a title for anything and are automatically forced to wear the title "... the noob" or "Who is Sageras?".

I would love to hear what you all think.

What happens when the new x-pac arrives? Do yo go back to "Noob" until you hit 95?

Axa
@mda.mil

Axa to navymaverick

Anon

to navymaverick
The main thing I miss about previous incarnations of WoW is the complexity of the stats and gearing system.

A few reminders (hopefully they are accurate):

- Gear did not always have the same amount of primary stat when it was the same iLevel, leading to the "sometimes a rare is better than an epic" syndrome. Hell, sometimes gear had plain weird states (My first epic ever as a Ret Paladin at lv 39 in Vanilla? Ice Mail Hauberk, IIRC. Stam, Spirit, and maybe something else weird)

- Weapons were not all normalized to the same speed. Currently, all 2H weaps are 3.6 and all 1H weapons are 2.6. This change accually occure din two phases that most people don't realize. At some point in late BC (I think, it's possible this was always the case), they "normalized" instant weapon strikes, like sinister strike, mortal strike, crusader strike, and stormstrike (geez, lots of strikes) to have their damage calculated as if the weapon was 3.3 seconds speed for 2H and 2.5 seconds speed for 1H. Even though most people thought "Hey, that 3.8s mace is better than the 3.6s sword b/c instant "weapon damage" based abilities hit harder, it wasn't the case at some point and it wasn't all that well publicized. Now, they made it official by simply making all weapons the same speed. HOWEVER, before that, sometimes a weapon in a new raid that was 3.5 wasn't as good as the 3.8 from the previous tier for certain classes.

- Confusing mechanics, like the introduction of expertise. Rememember when expertise rating gave you an interger-value amount of expertise that was then multiplied by 0.25% to give you the chance you had to avoid a dodge/parry? Although strange, I liked that fact that there were certain points where 1 expertise rating would give you 0.25% value where the next 14 points of expertise would give you no value. It really set apart the DPS of folks who wanted to do the extra math (pre Mr. Robot) to max their toon.

- Dynamic scaling stats. By this, I mostly mean Armor Penetration. It was an "interesting" stat, at least to me. If you recall how armor worked formerly, you would gain A LOT more damage reduction % per point of armor if your armor was low. For example, a mage gaining 1000 armor in BC woudl take you from liek 8% to 15% damage reduc, where a bear gaining a 1000 armor would probably take him from 55% to 55.5% armor reduc. Armor pen was "broken" according to blizzard because it affected the clothies/leatheries way more than mail/plate wearers. If you had 1000 armor pen, you'd effective do 7% more dmage to the mage (in my made up example) and only 0.5% more damage to the bear.

There are probably several other examples, but that's mainly what I miss. The whole "9 times out of the 10, the one with the higher iLevel is better" is boring to me. I enjoy most other aspects of the new game, though. As someone aluded to, the average age of WoW players has increased over time and many people, myself included, went from being in college to having full-time jobs and families in the last 8 years. I can't raid 4 hours a night 5 days a week anymore and compete for server firsts, so I appreciate the new access and still raid 2 nights a week so I can experince my own "challenge," which is normal 10 mans. Currently 3/12!

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

I find the current paradigm of meaningful secondary stats far more engaging across all classes/specs than ArP was for 3 classes.

While the weapon speed thing was dynamic/interesting for shamans/rogues... it left a lot of unwanted loot in the loot tables. Normalizing melee weapon speeds does simplify things greatly. I'll concede that since I'm not a melee player... I simply don't understand the "loss".

for the most part... I don't think anyone truly enjoys finally progressing through a new tier, only to get drops that were inferior to the previous tier. terribly anti-climactic.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles to Axa

Premium Member

to Axa
said by Axa :

- Weapons were not all normalized to the same speed.

Ya I remember stealth runs to BRD to kill Plugger for Barman's Shanker because that dagger was the best you could get until Perdition's blade dropped from Rag....those were heady times....