spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

luisa

@videotron.ca

dlink

I recently blocked my wifi (dlink 655), when i scroll through network connections it's shows the name i gave it and that it's blocked but it's also still showing my dlink as open. Why is this and how do i remove it?

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by luisa :

I recently blocked my wifi (dlink 655), when i scroll through network connections it's shows the name i gave it and that it's blocked but it's also still showing my dlink as open. Why is this and how do i remove it?

You need to supply some context to your question; I have no idea what you are asking.

What do you mean by "blocked my wifi"? Blocked how and from where?

How are you doing your network connection scroll? Are you looking at some WiFi scan report? Are you looking at a network discovery scan from your OS? Are you using some vendor supplied utility? Screen shots of what you are seeing would be helpful for anyone trying to understand your post.

If you are trying to turn off the WiFi capability in your DIR655, just go into Wireless Settings and uncheck the [Enable Wireless] box and it will be gone.

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

luisa

@videotron.ca
I was worried about that. Ok, so, up until now my wifi wasn't secure. Therefore my connection was always super slow and required constant resets as my neighbors were helping themselves to it. I finally got around to securing and everything went well but when i click on the "show other networks" i see my new network name as secure but i also still see my old one as open.

I'm really hoping this is enough information because honestly i understood very little of what you were asking me

Thanks

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

3 edits
said by luisa :

I was worried about that. Ok, so, up until now my wifi wasn't secure. Therefore my connection was always super slow and required constant resets as my neighbors were helping themselves to it. I finally got around to securing and everything went well but when i click on the "show other networks" i see my new network name as secure but i also still see my old one as open.

I'm really hoping this is enough information because honestly i understood very little of what you were asking me

Thanks

Do you have a guest network configured in your DIR655? If so, that is probably the open network you are seeing.

Here is where the primary WiFi network is setup

Here is where the guest WiFi network is setup

Either that, or you were not previously actually using your own DIR655, and you are still seeing the neighbor's connection that you used to use. That may sound silly, but I have had to make on-site service calls for that very reason (I would be called to secure a client's WiFi because they could not keep their neighbor from using it..but in fact the client was actually using the neighbor's WiFi connection). An easy way to find out if that is what you had been doing is to connect to the old "open" connection and then power off your DIR655. If you stay connected, then you are not using your DIR655.

Screen shots from the utility you are using to view the wireless networks and screen shots of your DIR655 wireless config pages would greatly help with the remote diagnosis.

If you don't know how to upload a screen shot to this forum, here is a link to a FAQ that tries to explain it: »Site FAQ »How do I post attachments and screenshots?

If you don't know how to save a screen shot to a file that can be uploaded, just press the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard and everything on your monitor screen will be saved to the clipboard (I am assuming that you are running Windows). Next open up your favorite image viewing program, paste the clipboard contents to a new image, then save that image as a .jpg or .png file (don't save it as a .bmp file). If you don't have an image viewing program, I suggest that you download and install IrfanView and it's plug-ins (this program's "Save for Web" plug-in is perfect for uploading images to this site).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

luisa

@videotron.ca
I hope these shots help. I really appreciate all that you're trying to do.