Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rizzo2dial
Premium
join:2004-08-05

1 edit

[VOIPo.COM] *RESOLVED* Outbound SMS broken

Had been successfully using VOIPo's Beta SMS feature, to send/receive txt msgs on my VOIPo #, since they first publicly released it.

Towards the end of last month, discovered that the ability to send txt msgs through the vPanel (beta or regular vPanel) has disappeared. Submitted a VOIPo support ticket about the issue, yet after almost two weeks, there has been no response whatsoever to the ticket. I even updated the ticket a few days ago in case they missed it the first time.

So while I can receive incoming SMS msgs on my VOIPo #, it doesn't do much good if I can't respond to them. I realize that beta features can break at any time, but to receive no response on an reported issue after almost 2 weeks is shameful and rather uncharacteristic of VOIPo. Have reluctantly posted the issue here to draw more attention to it.

Any other VOIPo users unable to send SMS msgs through the vPanel (where previously you were able to?)

P.S. There's even a thread at VOIPo's own support forum on this same issue (from Apr 8), where another VOIPo customer asked whether the feature was still offered. VOIPoTim responded in that thread that it is.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric

Re: [VOIPo.COM] Outbound SMS broken, support not responding to t

said by rizzo2dial:

I realize that beta features can break at any time, but to receive no response on an reported issue after almost 2 weeks is shameful and rather uncharacteristic of VOIPo.

Sure sounds strange.

Being that they do offer US-based customer support by phone (949-829-4200), I am curious if you called them to ask about the lack of response to your ticket.

rizzo2dial
Premium
said by PX Eliezer:

Being that they do offer US-based customer support by phone (949-829-4200), I am curious if you called them to ask about the lack of response to your ticket.

No, haven't called in. If time permits, may give that a try.

voipouser

@gdds.com
I have the SMS option on my control panel and just tried sending a text to my cell and it worked.

rizzo2dial
Premium
said by voipouser :

I have the SMS option on my control panel and just tried sending a text to my cell and it worked.

The input box (for sending an outbound SMS) is still missing for me in the vPanel, but it's reassuring to learn that the feature isn't broken across the board.

DaveSin

join:2009-07-17
Could it be a browser issue why it isn't showing up? Have you tried another Browser?

rizzo2dial
Premium
said by DaveSin:

Could it be a browser issue why it isn't showing up? Have you tried another Browser?

It's not a browser issue. In the section of the vPanel where the text form used to appear (for sending an outbound SMS), it now says "You do not currently have any SMS Enabled phone numbers at this time."

I didn't disable my phone # for SMS (not even sure there's an option for that), and the fact that incoming SMS continues to work would imply that my # is in fact "SMS Enabled."

VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-06
Newport Beach, CA
kudos:3
reply to rizzo2dial
We're not aware of any issues with the SMS functionality. It must be something isolated to your account.

Do you have a ticket number? Feel free to e-mail it to tim@voipo.com and I will look into it.

rizzo2dial
Premium
said by VOIPoTim:

We're not aware of any issues with the SMS functionality. It must be something isolated to your account.

Don't doubt that it is, but to not get any response to my ticket in almost 2 weeks is also an "issue" which I guess you're not aware of.

said by VOIPoTim:

Do you have a ticket number? Feel free to e-mail it to tim@voipo.com and I will look into it.

Sent it to you now in a BBR IM.

VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
Premium,VIP
Newport Beach, CA
reply to rizzo2dial
said by rizzo2dial:

said by VOIPoTim:

Don't doubt that it is, but to not get any response to my ticket in almost 2 weeks is also an "issue" which I guess you're not aware of.

I think your post and my response crossed paths. As I said in the reply, somehow your ticket got labeled as a bug report rather than a support request. Bug reports are not actively worked until developers are working on an update to the feature in question.

I've reflagged it as a support request and also flagged for priority so you will have a response today.

Thank you for your patience.

rizzo2dial
Premium
said by VOIPoTim:

I think your post and my response crossed paths.

Yes, they did.

said by VOIPoTim:

As I said in the reply, somehow your ticket got labeled as a bug report rather than a support request. Bug reports are not actively worked until developers are working on an update to the feature in question.

Until I received your response here today stating the above, I was completely in the dark about whether VOIPo was taking any action on the issue. (Adding the report to a bug queue is at least some form of action, but I wasn't made aware of that until YOU informed me -- something your support team could have and IMO should have done).

said by VOIPoTim:

I've reflagged it as a support request and also flagged for priority so you will have a response today.

Appreciate that. Your participation here, IMO, is why your company is as successful as it is.

rizzo2dial
Premium
reply to VOIPoTim
said by VOIPoTim:

Your support team has resolved the issue. Out of curiosity, do you know whether the fix they applied was only for my account, or did they actually correct a bug that was potentially affecting numerous customers?

VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
Premium,VIP
Newport Beach, CA

1 recommendation

reply to rizzo2dial

Re: [VOIPo.COM] *RESOLVED* Outbound SMS broken

said by rizzo2dial:

said by VOIPoTim:

Your support team has resolved the issue. Out of curiosity, do you know whether the fix they applied was only for my account, or did they actually correct a bug that was potentially affecting numerous customers?

It's possible it could have impacted some others, but definitely not wide spread. Basically SMS is both ratecenter and carrier dependent. It's currently available in about 7100 of the 9000 ratecenters we service.

On the feature page, we do an LRN dip (basically lookup the underlying carrier) to confirm that the number is eligible for SMS (based on underlying carrier and rate center). If we don't see specific carrier names there, we flag as "not eligible".

When you activated SMS, it was eligible. Sometime between now and then the name the carrier was reporting as in the LRN dip (carrier lookup) for your number changed slightly. The carrier didn't change, but the formatting of the name changed slightly so it was displaying different and our system didn't think it was eligible since it was looking for different carrier names. Name variations are pretty common because carriers use so many different entities for different RCs, areas, etc. So when you tried to send, the system didn't think it was a DID eligible for SMS.

We're contractually obligated to provide a "2 way" SMS service by our SMS vendor so we don't allow "blind sending" if the number can't receive. Basically, we need to keep incoming/outgoing messages within certain ratios so we do the check on BOTH activation for incoming and also every time a message is sent.

Once we added the variation in carrier name your DID was returning into the "eligible" list then your DID met all the criteria to send and was as a result fixed.

Kind of a long answer, but nothing is simple in telecom.... Lots has to happen behind the scenes for every little thing.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by VOIPoTim:

Kind of a long answer, but nothing is simple in telecom.... Lots has to happen behind the scenes for every little thing.

Very interesting!

Thanks for the detailed info and followup.

As you say, nothing is simple, everything is interrelated, and unforeseen consequences abound.

rizzo2dial
Premium
reply to VOIPoTim
said by VOIPoTim:

Thanks for the detailed reply. At the very least, the issue was fixed for any other VOIPo customers using the same carrier as my #.

EDIT: The change in carrier name (as returned by the LRN dip) likely occured sometime between Feb 2013 and the end of Mar 2013. The last successful txt msg I sent through VOIPo (prior to submitting the ticket) was in Feb 2013.