This spot reserved for Xenu.
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Roslyn, NY

2 edits

6 recommendations

StreetSpirit

Premium Member

[OOL] Received monthly price relief for aging Mom. Thanks OOL.

Click for full size
Hi folks:

A few weeks ago, my Mom needed to go to a hospital for a spell. She really enjoys her OOL/iO service, but of course paying and not using it can become an expensive proposition. She asked me to call CV on her behalf, thinking of suspending service for a few weeks until health had improved a bit.

I thought I might get a one time credit or perhaps a one time waiver of a few bucks, but was very surprised that the billing rep gave her a great deal - $29.99 OOL, 3 months free iO with $29.99 thereafter for two years! NICE! The rep did not make a big to-do about her being a customer for years, and not using oV [she has a lifeline and is on my cell plan with Virgin to keep in touch with siblings, children and nephews.]

So if you're having a hard time making ends meet, give CV a call. YMMV of course as with anything but in this case they did good and deserve some praise.
Parth
join:2010-08-16
Poughkeepsie, NY

Parth

Re: [OOL] Received monthly price relief for aging Mom. Thanks OO

Is her street address eligible for Verizon FiOS?

StreetSpirit
Premium Member
Roslyn, NY

StreetSpirit

Premium Member

said by Parth:

Is her street address eligible for Verizon FiOS?

Yep.

Her building had VZ FIOS installed last summer. That could of course be part of why I was able to get the discount, however, she's kind of set in her ways and likes her CV services. . I tried to talk her into giving FIOS a chance without success a year ago when it first went live in her building.

In any case, if FIOS is part of the reason, VZ has my thanks as well.

Regards,
David.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

1 recommendation

limegrass69

Nice! Glad that worked out!!
Parth
Poughkeepsie, NY
ARRIS TM1602
Linksys WRT1900ACS

1 recommendation

Parth to StreetSpirit

to StreetSpirit
Yeah I think that's why they were so eager to give your mother a discount of any type. I usually have to yell at them in order for anything to happen, but guess what I got in the mail:

»i.imgur.com/Ia6Oj4r.jpg

This was suspiciously before a company called MasTec, which apparently VZ uses to outsource its FiOS buildout, left a letter at my house stating that they are going to be burying utility lines in our development… the only development around here that has underground utilities that VZ was too lazy to wire themselves. :P

Now I can finally get a reasonable upload speed

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1

Parth,

How long have you been a CV subscriber? I could have sworn it was far longer than the year the letter suggests. Reason I'm asking is we've never been offered a triple play package, never had a cut rate, not even for a short period of time, never any incentive to stay with them at all.

You think this is only because FIOS is available in your neighborhood (if it is)?

Sometime in the last 15 years we could have used a discounted rate, but none was ever offered to us.
Parth
Poughkeepsie, NY
ARRIS TM1602
Linksys WRT1900ACS

1 edit

1 recommendation

Parth

said by momcat1:

Parth,

How long have you been a CV subscriber? I could have sworn it was far longer than the year the letter suggests. Reason I'm asking is we've never been offered a triple play package, never had a cut rate, not even for a short period of time, never any incentive to stay with them at all.

You think this is only because FIOS is available in your neighborhood (if it is)?

Sometime in the last 15 years we could have used a discounted rate, but none was ever offered to us.

We've had Cablevision since 1999. It's definitely only because FiOS is being built out in our development; they have never been proactive about handing out promotions without asking. I already see our local utility companies flagging their lines on properties nearby. They haven't reached my street yet but I guess they'll get here soon.

momcat1
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1

I know someone will report me for not staying on topic, but it burns me that so many people have gotten offers from them. We have been subscribers non-stop since 1986, well before CV came into the picture in Dutchess. And to date, not once have we received any incentives from them. Just keep paying, more, more.

Streetspirit, I am glad to hear they did something generous for your mother.

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

Unfortunately if you don't have FiOS as an option, you have to disconnect and get satellite. Once you do that, they'll try to win you back. They know that most people who threaten never actually leave.

momcat1
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1

We can't do satellite here, either. Dish already did a site survey, and due to the trees on neighboring properties, in the direction of the satellites, they said we would not get enough signal to have service.

And I have no other usable option for internet, either. It's OOL or nothing.

limegrass69
No Whammies

limegrass69

Yeah. I'm more or less in the same boat. Satellite would be a gamble due to trees, and Verizon DSL would be somewhere between 1.5 and 3.0 Mbps if I'm lucky. No thanks.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with Cablevision -- all things considered. They've fixed any problems I've had over the years.

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

MxxCon to momcat1

to momcat1
Downgrade just to OOL(maybe even +OV) and then after a month you will be eligible for tripelplay promo again.

StreetSpirit
Premium Member
Roslyn, NY

StreetSpirit to momcat1

Premium Member

to momcat1
I'm sorry, momcat1 See Profile, limegrass69 See Profile and everyone in the same situation. Mom was in the same boat, at least until last summer it seems, when Verizon decided it was worth the money to lay down fiber in the multi-story buildings `round where she lives. Private homes there have had FIOS as a choice for years, probably including competitive/promotional pricing.

Competition is a good thing. Hope things change from the status quoe soon.

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to StreetSpirit

to StreetSpirit
I think it depends who you talk to also.

I got a letter that my bill was going up because my promotion was expiring. I called them last night and she was able to extend it for another year.

I read on here that they were going to stop doing promotions to tighten the belt a bit, but seems you can still get them... I am actually saving some money also because they applied a $2 credit for my cable card. I did not know about that but apparently Cable Cards are also free for a year after the digital conversion...
jcondon
join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY

jcondon to StreetSpirit

to StreetSpirit
I was just looking at my MIL TimeWarner bill yesterday. She is on a fixed income and I was hoping to help her save a few bucks. She initially had the Triple play for $99. A few months ago she dropped the Internet but the bill didn't change a whole lot.

Whatever she has is $84.95 for TV and phone only. Perhaps later this week I will ask her to fax me a copy and do a quick call with her on the line and have authorize me to make changes. She needs basic cable (maybe a step up not sure) and basic phone.

She too is waiting for one of those life line cell phones with 250 mins. I believe she can buy extra time which might make more sense then having a home phone too but won't know till I can look at everything.

They also nailed her for some 411 calls. Cablevision doesn't charge for them but TWC does. She moved into a new county and doesn't have Internet or a phone book. So trying to track down one for her as well.

She can't get FIOS though so it wouldn't surprise me if they are less likely to deal.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to StreetSpirit

to StreetSpirit
For people on fixed incomes or the less fortunate there is always OTA.
Whether they have an HDTV or old analog tube most can receive plenty of channels with an antenna and built in tuner or digital converter box.
jcondon
Fishkill, NY

jcondon

If you live fairly close to the Empire State building sure. North of Westchester County, NY (and parts of Westchester) good luck getting anything worth watching via OTA.

momcat1
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to dm145

to dm145
There's no OTA in Dutchess. Not even a remote chance. THis was one of the areas cable was invented for, before it went commerical for everybody.
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to StreetSpirit

to StreetSpirit
Ok then cut back services to an affordable package
RemyM
join:2005-02-14
Pinehurst, NC

1 recommendation

RemyM to momcat1

to momcat1
You can get your OTA stations through Aereo.
»aereo.com/zips
And many cable shows are available to purchase online.
root
join:2002-12-11

root to momcat1

to momcat1
said by momcat1:

There's no OTA in Dutchess. Not even a remote chance. THis was one of the areas cable was invented for, before it went commerical for everybody.

So if they have you backed into a corner because you have no other option for service...why exactly would they need to give you an incentive? They are in fact a business that is out to make money after all.
jcondon
Fishkill, NY

jcondon

As soon as Verizon was available to me I left. Much better service and more channels for a couple of extra bucks.

I know how it is played. They are in business to make as much as they can. Take advantage of those with no real options. I remember that when I have options and will switch back and forth or play one off the other to get the best price. That is how competition works too many places have no real competition.

I could switch back for less (they have been hounding me with the $89.99 Triple play deal with Showtime (I think).

Which is about $10 less then where I started with FIOS with HBO/Showtime and 1 year free DVR. So I could probably save $10 to $15 if I really wanted to. Not worth it to me to save $10/$15 for all I would lose. If money became tighter for me I would switch though.
jcondon

jcondon to RemyM

to RemyM
said by RemyM:

»aereo.com/zips

All well and good for those of us who have the Internet and are tech savy. My MIL sold her computer a year ago and doesn't currently have any Internet or cell phone at all. Should be getting a basic non smart phone soon.

I actually considered the option though for her. Would it be cheaper to have a cable modem only and then do Aereo and Vonage? Maybe but probably not drastically. Do I think she could figure out Roku or Apple TV? Probably not or it would be pain full at least. Her Closed Caption got turned on by her (probably when she was dusting) and I couldn't walk her through how to turn it off. So when I was there Sunday I had to turn it off for her.

StreetSpirit
Premium Member
Roslyn, NY

2 edits

StreetSpirit

Premium Member

said by jcondon:

said by RemyM:

»aereo.com/zips

All well and good for those of us who have the Internet and are tech savy. My MIL sold her computer a year ago and doesn't currently have any Internet or cell phone at all. Should be getting a basic non smart phone soon.

I actually considered the option though for her. Would it be cheaper to have a cable modem only and then do Aereo and Vonage? Maybe but probably not drastically. Do I think she could figure out Roku or Apple TV? Probably not or it would be pain full at least. Her Closed Caption got turned on by her (probably when she was dusting) and I couldn't walk her through how to turn it off. So when I was there Sunday I had to turn it off for her.

If she's on a fixed income or receives any type of assistance, she might qualify for the Federal Lifeline program, which includes offers from wireless providers such as Virgin Mobile's Assurance Wireless and many other wireless service providers . I didn't think mom would qualify as she doesn't receive any Federal Assistance, however apparently her yearly income is just within the range needed to qualify.

While this kinda goes against my principles, it gives me a chance to take back some of the money myself and family paid in USF charges from the coffers of the bureaucrats while helping a relative.

Your mother in law might qualify simply on income, as my mom did, or participation in an assistance program. If anything, it's worth looking into. Since she doesn't have a computer, you can simply give her the telephone #: 1-888-321-5880 (Assurance Wireless).

My mom qualified for their 250 free minutes/250 free texts program. She pays an additional $5 a month to bring both up to 500, which are more than enough for her to keep in touch with grand kids, kids & relatives. If she needs more, she just uses her phone to top up her account. While you don't get a nice iOS/Android phone, you do get a functional Kyocera or Motorola low cost set with limited online capabilities.

HTH,