join:2012-08-10

TheThing

EverQuest Next - The Next BIG thing in MMORPGs

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· MEgLXKXs

Blade and Soul - pvp is supposed to be bad
Wildstar - looks gimmicky and that it might lack depth
Archage - sorry mochis... but besides some sandbox elements looks terrible
ESO - i just predict its gonna flop

to me the next big thing in MMORPGs is going to be EQ Next... over the past 2 years... I looked forward to Tera, then GW2... and for a while Tera was OK... but then GW2 took me away from it, and I still love GW2... i was pretty right on picking out winners for the most part

EQ Next is the only mmorpg right now im looking forward to... "next" and sounds like its going to be a true next gen mmorpg

Fishead1
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY

Fishead1

Premium Member

Wasn't this a game that was played in the late 90's with the same name except everyone called it EverCrack because it was so addictive.
Is this the same game that their bring back with updated graphics and game play?

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to TheThing

to TheThing
Sounds like it's hush hush on this till SOE Live in August. Could be interesting.

Morfein
Lead Peon
Premium Member
join:2004-09-08
Brownsburg, IN

Morfein to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing
Guessing they will use the new pricing model these games now user.

$59.99 to buy... $15 to play per month.. taking in as much as they can till they have to make F2P because of population.

Milk em as long as you can model.

So I'll wait for the F2P option.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing
ESO a flop? This could happen, but I think it has more of a chance than EQN to dip into WoWs numbers.

TheThing

TheThing

yeah, I see ESO going to same way as Tera... 2-3 months of excitement and then it dies... just my gut feeling... 99% of mmos don't make it, betting that ESO fails is no big stretch

I'm putting my money on EQN... it's not a reskin of the old EQ, it's a new next gen mmo

i think the fan base will be strong, and after listening to the devs, it seems they have long term population support in mind... like EQ1 and EQ2

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to TheThing

to TheThing
Don't know I'd be putting my money on it when no one knows anything about it.

TheThing

TheThing

supposedly this is intentional

because of the new features they dont want other mmos copying them

it will be revealed August 1... soon!

i would then expect Q4 release 2013, or Q1-2 release 2014

Fiftycals
join:2010-02-16
El Paso, TX

Fiftycals to TheThing

to TheThing
Do these companies not realize that they don't HAVE to charge $15 a month. If the game fails at the $15 rate they should try $10 or maybe even $5 instead of the F2P model. F2P models seemed so watered down.

I will buy EverQuest Next AND ESO. Which one will be around longer? Who knows... If history has anything to say about it EverQuest Next will win this one out since this will be ElderScrolls first attempt at an MMO.

As for all games i've played before... I can't rely on other peoples comments or opinions until I've tried it out myself. Hope to see you all in one of them!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing
said by TheThing:

it's a new next gen mmo

What makes it next-gen?

Dolgan
Premium Member
join:2005-10-01
Madison, WI

Dolgan

Premium Member

The developers and fanbois say it is going to be next gen, so it has to be the greatest game ever...as we have never heard predictions like this before.

SOE has proven over time that they cannot be trusted to release and maintain a quality game, so do not understand how people can buy into the hype surrounding any game they plan to release. Based upon their prior performance, have learned that SOE stands for "same old excuses" when it comes to dealing with issues that occur within their games. Maybe we will be pleasantly surprised, but am highly doubtful at this time.

TheThing

1 edit

TheThing to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
to me next gen is graphics, combat mechanics, and new features not found in older mmos like WoW and old EQ

to me Tera, Firefall and GW2 qualify as "next gen" mmos

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by TheThing:

to me next gen is graphics, combat mechanics, and new features not found in older mmos like WoW and old EQ

to me Tera, Firefall and GW2 qualify as "next gen" mmos

Given that Tera and GW2 have been out, I don't really get the purpose behind hyping things as "next gen MMO," especially when 90% of the MMO's out there still can't match the convenience offered in WoW, such as addons (especially for things like the AH that let you buy/sell/pricecheck in bulk), LFD, LFR, auto-learn on skills, built-in mouse-over macros, etc.

If the old EQ and early WoW were vanilla MMOs, then GW2/Tera/MoP/Firefall are current gen (although Firefall feels more like a vanilla MMO).

What are some features in the new EQ that will differentiate it from some of the features I mentioned in WoW?

TheThing

TheThing

I personally feel MoP could NEVER be next gen, because it's still WoW and WoW combat hasn't changed much

I consider Firefall/Tera to be current gen to next gen

and GW2 at least in my mind is 100% next gen mmo... nothing else even comes close

at thsi point, EQ next and Titan will have their hands full living up to the features of GW2
TheThing

TheThing to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
" LFD, LFR, auto-learn on skills, built-in mouse-over macros"

to me, none of these things qualify an mmo as "next gen", they are convenience and don't change the core of the game or combat mechanics...

GW2 is next gen because, there is no more holy trinity, great graphics, and real collision combat with weapons, open world raids, etc... it innovates the genre

next gen mmos approach the mmorpg genre differently than their predecessors... EQN is very hush hush, but it is rumored that it will have many ways to measure ePeen than just gear... and that there might be permadeath

games that qualify as next gen based on what I say include Tera, GW2, Firefall (changes how leveling works), ESO (most likely), WildStar, Titan, EQN... some more than others... GW2 is more next gen than Tera

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing
It's gonna be so next-gen that it will cause a disruption in the time-continuum and become prev-gen.

Seriously, every game is next-gen now... and every one is same old shit.

People should wait till something is actually released before even deciding whether it's really next-gen or not,

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by ekster:

People should wait till something is actually released before even deciding whether it's really next-gen or not,

I agree. I've had enough hype about all these "next-gen" MMOs. I'll wait to see when it's released.
Chuck_IV
join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

Chuck_IV to Fiftycals

to Fiftycals
said by Fiftycals:

Do these companies not realize that they don't HAVE to charge $15 a month. If the game fails at the $15 rate they should try $10 or maybe even $5 instead of the F2P model. F2P models seemed so watered down.

I will buy EverQuest Next AND ESO. Which one will be around longer? Who knows... If history has anything to say about it EverQuest Next will win this one out since this will be ElderScrolls first attempt at an MMO.

As for all games i've played before... I can't rely on other peoples comments or opinions until I've tried it out myself. Hope to see you all in one of them!

While I completely agree with you on the monthly fee and reducing them at some point, I still think if the F2P is done right, it work. LOTRO is a good example of F2P done right. The F2P doesn't hinder you all that much and it allows you to only buy the pieces you want, when you want.

TheThing

TheThing to ekster

to ekster
said by ekster:

It's gonna be so next-gen that it will cause a disruption in the time-continuum and become prev-gen.

mmm hmmmmm

I follow most MMORPGs that are coming out in the market, F2P and P2P, and the secret is, many are not next gen and are re-hashing the same old thing, and are being released as new mmos

Why is GW2 next gen? I could list about 100 things in the game that is new to the MMO genre, maybe you should try some games out first

why am I saying EQN will be next gen? its mainly speculation, but its speculation based on a company that has 2 huge games in EQ1 and EQ2... EQ1 revolutionized the industry... so its not a stretch to say the company can do the same thing again...

also, the main developer says the game has new features for the genre, and they are specifically not talkinga bout them so they have a head start from the rest of the industry... sounds next gen to me

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by TheThing:

also, the main developer says the game has new features for the genre, and they are specifically not talkinga bout them so they have a head start from the rest of the industry... sounds next gen to me

Sounds like hype.

"I got something new, but I won't tell you what it is. What I want you to do is die of a nerdgasm right now."

TheThing

TheThing

august 1 we shall see!

maybe it is hype who knows! at that point i think we can make an assessment

I hope it's great, cause after watching the ESO video im a bit bummed on that one

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Hope and wait, but don't become an unwitting mouthpiece for them.

TheThing

TheThing

I picked winners in Tera and GW2, long before they came out

If I was to pick future winners now I would pick EQN and Titan, until 8/1 proves me wrong, I think EQN will be a winner.

I would NOT pick Blade and Soul, ESO, Wildstar, Archeage, Firefall, etc...

Ast1
@nayuta.nl

Ast1 to TheThing

Anon

to TheThing
I won't hold my breath.
SOE are not known for their talents at keeping a healthy game going. EQ1 was a great game though went down hill when Verant left.
EQ2 was a big disappointment, jumping from EQ1 being a hard game to EQ2 being very easy and bland.

Thanks to WoW every MMO isnow instant gratification, no consequence style games, it's what everyone is used to and what they expect, harsh games are no longer appreciated. So, EQ Next will be more of the ame regardless of what 'next gen' they throw at it.

I would expect ESO to be better. Not that I have massive hopes for it because again it will still be the nonstop instant gratification stye of the modern day, but it won't have SOE in charge.

Every game claims next gen, GW2 talked about it's next gen, and aside from a game which though pretty good, got boring rather fast, it had some nice ideas - rezzing strangers giving xp, killing mobs tagged by others still gave xp and quest credit (a good idea which was quickly taken up by Rift soon after). Resource nodes not being contested. The dodge mechanic was ok too. But all in all, a few things to hand pick, the rest to ignore.

Rift talked about next gen, it gave dynamic events which were a great idea (which GW2 then adopted, always a good sign when an idea is taken on board by others) it gve the soul system which to me allowed for the best character creations of current MMOs (of course ven this was flawed by the inevitable min/max raid builds, but you could still create odd builds which were perfect for other situations) but beyond that was ultimately more of the same.

Vanguard was claimed to be next gen yet ironically what made it so 'next gen' was the fact it brought back the old school style of EQ1. It was actually probably one of the best games released in terms of gameplay but was so buggy and poorly coded that th population dwindled. Then SOE took over and instead of trying to fix the actual problems, tought that changing the game intoa WoW/EQ2 style would slve the problems - not realising that actually a tougher game was why people joined in the first place and a badly coded/unfinished game was why they left and not because the game was tough.

ESO, EQ Next, anything else will all be same old mundane mass market appeal MMOs with 'next gen' wrappin to hide that fact

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

1 recommendation

Exodus to TheThing

Premium Member

to TheThing
Since everyone is making up definitions of what's next-gen, let me tell you what this board and everyone I've ever spoken to, is expecting out of a 'next-gen' MMO. We're not just looking for a handful of features, we're looking for a game that changes the genre entirely.

We can't think of these features because they would and should be absolutely foreign to us. Just like how DOTA/League/etc became a new genre to hook us on, the MMO field has to change. No other company is going to be capable of doing this until Blizzard releases Project Titan.

Will Project Titan be the next-gen MMO? I'm not sure. I hope, but I have my doubts after they handled D3. The reason why every other MMO is going to suck until then is that no one is going to put serious money and creativity into an MMO until they see what happens with Titan. If Titan flops, that leaves the door wide open for a new company to come in and do something fantastic. If it's successful, well then you're going to see Blizzard continue to dominate the MMO market for another decade.

The next-gen MMO has to be engaging. People like their achievements and they like their instant gratification, but the game has to be difficult and not grindy. Some of the most successful games out there have leveling systems, but they're an afterthought, a non-primary motivator (call of duty, league of legends). It's about playing the game itself, through an adventure that holds you from the time you log in until you pass out 12 hours later from exhaustion, dehydration, and lack of self-care, only after calling your boss to let him know you're calling off sick.

It has to be epic on a grand scale. You need to feel like you're a part of something, yet be able to uniquely contribute. You need to be able to form up with your friends and do something awesome, yet not feel like you're doing something scripted. And it better not be something you end up doing a hundred times, either.

Like WoW, the game must be easy to learn and difficult to master. It has to be fast-paced. That is what a next-gen MMO has to be. It isn't about newer graphics or newer features. Those are baseline requirements just to get a release, not to be called next-gen. It can't be about "oh neato dynamic event that pops a rift open while I'm questing", only to realize there's only a handful of "dynamic" events. It can't be about dropping a giant thumper from the sky and farming the same fucking bugs for the same shitty resources so you can spend it on downgrading your class. It can't be about running around as the little alien from Lilo and Stitch in a story line that you utterly cannot stand, doing shit that absolutely does not matter.

All the other MMOs suck. Anyone who says this MMO or any other MMO is going to be worth playing for more than 30 days is a paid spokesperson or never really played MMOs, or is not part of the millions of people out there who are fatigued from MMO boredom.

But until Titan succeeds or flops, no other MMO until that point is going to have a shot, simply because no one is going to give a shit enough to put out something amazing.

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to TheThing

to TheThing
I won't get my hopes up. Sony threw money at Everquest 2 and no heart. Vanguard was the real EQ2, but that went down in flames thanks to drug use and Sony forcing it to be rushed cause ole boy was a fool.

I can only hope at this point.

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

Since everyone is making up definitions of what's next-gen, let me tell you what this board and everyone I've ever spoken to, is expecting out of a 'next-gen' MMO. We're not just looking for a handful of features, we're looking for a game that changes the genre entirely.

We can't think of these features because they would and should be absolutely foreign to us. Just like how DOTA/League/etc became a new genre to hook us on, the MMO field has to change. No other company is going to be capable of doing this until Blizzard releases Project Titan.

Will Project Titan be the next-gen MMO? I'm not sure. I hope, but I have my doubts after they handled D3. The reason why every other MMO is going to suck until then is that no one is going to put serious money and creativity into an MMO until they see what happens with Titan. If Titan flops, that leaves the door wide open for a new company to come in and do something fantastic. If it's successful, well then you're going to see Blizzard continue to dominate the MMO market for another decade.

The next-gen MMO has to be engaging. People like their achievements and they like their instant gratification, but the game has to be difficult and not grindy. Some of the most successful games out there have leveling systems, but they're an afterthought, a non-primary motivator (call of duty, league of legends). It's about playing the game itself, through an adventure that holds you from the time you log in until you pass out 12 hours later from exhaustion, dehydration, and lack of self-care, only after calling your boss to let him know you're calling off sick.

It has to be epic on a grand scale. You need to feel like you're a part of something, yet be able to uniquely contribute. You need to be able to form up with your friends and do something awesome, yet not feel like you're doing something scripted. And it better not be something you end up doing a hundred times, either.

Like WoW, the game must be easy to learn and difficult to master. It has to be fast-paced. That is what a next-gen MMO has to be. It isn't about newer graphics or newer features. Those are baseline requirements just to get a release, not to be called next-gen. It can't be about "oh neato dynamic event that pops a rift open while I'm questing", only to realize there's only a handful of "dynamic" events. It can't be about dropping a giant thumper from the sky and farming the same fucking bugs for the same shitty resources so you can spend it on downgrading your class. It can't be about running around as the little alien from Lilo and Stitch in a story line that you utterly cannot stand, doing shit that absolutely does not matter.

All the other MMOs suck. Anyone who says this MMO or any other MMO is going to be worth playing for more than 30 days is a paid spokesperson or never really played MMOs, or is not part of the millions of people out there who are fatigued from MMO boredom.

But until Titan succeeds or flops, no other MMO until that point is going to have a shot, simply because no one is going to give a shit enough to put out something amazing.

Brutal, but 100% true.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy to Exodus

to Exodus
Great writeup Archy.

I wonder if some of those goals are contradictory though. Like WOW found out, you have hardcore players but you need to appeal to the masses, who can feel like they are achieving something without putting in 200 hours for a purple epic. I would also like to be able to solo play and stop at any time, now that I'm married (and those that have kids), but still be able to join epic battles if I can commit the time.

Let's not forgot the more lingerie-like armor is, the better protect it gives to toons!

TheThing

TheThing

I agree with some of what Arch said, however, GW2 takes a lot to wrap your mind around

you haven't played GW2 enough to truly understand the game, mechanics, dungeons and philosophy

many people interpret GW2 dungeons as a cluster fuck, its because you don't understand what you're doing, or what's going on, and thats because a lot of us are brainwashed into the old school WoW/EQ dungeon philosophy

if there is a game out there that's a next gen mmo, its GW2, nothing else comes close

i love mmorpgs, I'm not a spokesperson, im just having fun, talking about games i love, and hoping these coming out will be great! it's like people Bullshitting about footballs teams, im just bullshitting about video games! cause i actually play them unlike pro sports, so it actually makes more sense

while GW2 has simplified abilities available at once, the skill cap, and knowledge cap of how it interacts and plays in with the rest of your group is much higher than WoW

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

1 recommendation

Exodus

Premium Member

There is no next-gen MMO. GW2 is not it.