how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Alu400

@rogers.com

First to 400 gbps in North America

»www.newswire.ca/en/story/1142865 ··· -network

Impressive stuff and interesting point for gaming.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
The trial ran over a 400 kilometre route between Calgary and Edmonton in Alberta

Calgary to Edmonton is 300km one-way, where did they run their fiber to add an extra 100 km?
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
said by kevinds:

The trial ran over a 400 kilometre route between Calgary and Edmonton in Alberta

Calgary to Edmonton is 300km one-way, where did they run their fiber to add an extra 100 km?

Maybe including on the non linear paths it ended up being that length?

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:19
reply to Alu400
"Photonic Service Engine," huh? Sounds like something you'd play with
during saturday morning cartoons.

My inner geek goes pitter patter

Regards

eject

join:2013-01-23
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Alu400
who cares when their best package available to most is only 500 gigabytes monthly usage, and their middle tier packages are perpetually stuck at 250~400, and why have a uniform increase in bandwidth/usage when you suddenly drop off at 50mbps and 400 gigabytes rather then the proper 500 and 100mbit with 1tb. if people need more upload because they're content creators i can understand, but the rush for download is sickening without usage that parallels it. shaw has been banging my home phone the past month trying to get me to switch from telus offering free equipment, but until they sort their internet usage i'll be hedging my bets instead of going all in on one or the other leaving the window open to bundle with telus or if shaw comes correct do their triple play garbage, or even a distributel.

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
shaw doesnt really enforce caps that much more then telus.....

Unlimited

@shawcable.net
reply to eject
Doesn't really matter if you have an unlimited package. Just because you can download quicker (convenience) doesn't mean to say you will download more. Unlimited packages are available to everyone aren't they?

lostspaceman

join:2012-07-26
T3N0K7
Thank you! I wish more people used this logic.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to eject
said by eject:

who cares when their best package available to most is only 500 gigabytes monthly usage, and their middle tier packages are perpetually stuck at 250~400, and why have a uniform increase in bandwidth/usage when you suddenly drop off at 50mbps and 400 gigabytes rather then the proper 500 and 100mbit with 1tb. if people need more upload because they're content creators i can understand, but the rush for download is sickening without usage that parallels it. shaw has been banging my home phone the past month trying to get me to switch from telus offering free equipment, but until they sort their internet usage i'll be hedging my bets instead of going all in on one or the other leaving the window open to bundle with telus or if shaw comes correct do their triple play garbage, or even a distributel.

You do know these companies (whether it is Shaw or any of the other major carriers the world over) have other business units other than consumer broadband and these upgrades have essentially zero relevance to their consumer broadband service?

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Unlimited
said by Unlimited :

Doesn't really matter if you have an unlimited package. Just because you can download quicker (convenience) doesn't mean to say you will download more. Unlimited packages are available to everyone aren't they?

That is also why the lies these companies feed you about caps are just that. There is no justification for the caps in the first place.

molfert

join:2002-02-19
Calgary, AB
What are these lies? There a many justification for bandwidth caps that do not require lies. There is also great reasons for not having bandwidth caps.

eject

Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to 34764170
it all leads to the inevitable gigabit+ customer internet, they're going all in with increased throughput and leaving data bandwidth trailing behind. it should be going the other way with more data intensive requirements like the creeping up to 20 gig pc game downloads and 10+ gig hd movies. it's gonna take my parents generation leaving the earth and taking their home phone and cable tv packages with them to force the pendulum in the other direction. there's just no practical application for gigabit internet outside of business, but it will be made available to customers pretending it's worthwhile when all you will need for the next while is 25~50mbit with unlimited bandwidth.

eject

reply to Unlimited
at the price of a monthly car payment any person that shells out $200 for their internet alone is a money mark rounding the turnstile into the carnival of life.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to eject
said by eject:

it all leads to the inevitable gigabit+ customer internet, they're going all in with increased throughput and leaving data bandwidth trailing behind. it should be going the other way with more data intensive requirements like the creeping up to 20 gig pc game downloads and 10+ gig hd movies. it's gonna take my parents generation leaving the earth and taking their home phone and cable tv packages with them to force the pendulum in the other direction. there's just no practical application for gigabit internet outside of business, but it will be made available to customers pretending it's worthwhile when all you will need for the next while is 25~50mbit with unlimited bandwidth.

They can have all the 100Gbps links they want at the core of their network but if the edge cannot handle the capacity requirements then it doesnt mean anhthing for that portion of the network. The upgrades are for large businesses and other carriers purchasing 100Gbps and eventually 400Gbps links. Of course there isnt a practicle application when the connections dont exist to be able to create the app. Chicken and egg situation. 25Mbps and even 50 is pretty slow for the day and age we are in but no caps is a must.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to molfert
said by molfert:

What are these lies? There a many justification for bandwidth caps that do not require lies. There is also great reasons for not having bandwidth caps.

There are only justifications that sheep buy and keep repeating thinking if it is repeated enough that it is true. The Internet wont run out bits.

eject

Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to 34764170
pretty slow for what? 2.5mbps is enough to stream 720p/480p which is about the max any streaming service offers for things like live tv/sports/ppv. online gaming is fine relative to the servers location, downloading from something like usenet i could grab a full 45 gig bluray every night, or 3~4 encodes which is generally 10~20gbs in 1~3 hours each. 250kbp/s upload is fine for a 24/7 torrent seed, you will rapidly gain credits with the proper files seeding. i can't think of anything besides real time streaming of a 1080p file which i've never done and i suspect it would still work. so, in this "HD" day and age, what is it unable to accomplish?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
Could you do all those things at once?

What about multiple people using the internet at home?

And yes, streaming a movie while one is downloading is very common for me, nevermind anybody elses internet traffic.

25 mbps to 50 was a huge difference, 50 to 100 wasn't as big of an increase, but everybody still noticed
--

eject

Reviews:
·Shaw
well, i don't do all those things at once so it's something i've never noticed. and i don't have people sharing my internet or at least not to the extent of maxing it out. i must just be accustomed to compartmentalizing my usage since i have a always on pc that can be used to download overnight etc. so i suppose if you're a hardcore user 2.5mbps is enough but if you have multiple average to heavy users you'd want more. point is gbit internet is coming and is unnecessary for the masses, unless it was that google gbit that seemed to be very attractively priced and not the predictable overpriced from a cable company.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
accustomed to compartmentalizing my usage

haha
reminded me of years ago when I had a 28.8 modem shared between 4 computers/people
--

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Alu400
said by Alu400 :

»www.newswire.ca/en/story/1142865 ··· -network

Impressive stuff and interesting point for gaming.

At the current rate of speed upgrades it will be approximately 40,000 years before you get 400gig/s to your house

I mean seriously it took TWC 10 years to go from 5mbps as the highest speed here to 50mbps

lostspaceman

join:2012-07-26
T3N0K7
Shaw currently offers 250Mbps in my area, so I don't think it'll take quite that long :P

lucky644
Premium
join:2002-02-04
I subscribe to the 250mbit package, I've never seen my speeds exceed 200mbit yet, best I've seen is 170mbit. They could offer 500mbit but it wouldn't matter if the nodes are so saturated you'll never see anything close to it =|

(this is doing multiple speedtests on multiple computers on multiple websites and monitoring the modem/routers throughput)
--
~~Desu

Doonz

Beaumont, AB
said by lucky644:

I subscribe to the 250mbit package, I've never seen my speeds exceed 200mbit yet, best I've seen is 170mbit. They could offer 500mbit but it wouldn't matter if the nodes are so saturated you'll never see anything close to it =|

(this is doing multiple speedtests on multiple computers on multiple websites and monitoring the modem/routers throughput)

I have no problem hitting 28Mb/s

lucky644
Premium
I'm in Edmonton, so there's about....800,000 more people than Beaumont, might affect that :P

Also, did you mean 28MB/s?
--
~~Desu

Doonz

Beaumont, AB
said by lucky644:

I'm in Edmonton, so there's about....800,000 more people than Beaumont, might affect that :P

Also, did you mean 28MB/s?

yes MB. and those results are from summerside and kingsway in edmonton

lucky644
Premium
Sucks to be me then.
--
~~Desu

HempHog
Shrewd

join:2004-03-07
Okotoks, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to lucky644
said by lucky644:

It's your hardware, you need a high end router to handle that kind of speed. What do you use?
--
»www.speedtest.net/result/8650358 ··· 5818.png

lucky644
Premium
Dir 825 dlink, I believe, I'm out of town on business currently so I can't look.
--
~~Desu

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
kudos:2
Should be able to handle 250 when wired:
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless ··· &start=2
Make sure the firmware is up to date (as always).

lucky644
Premium
It is wired, and it is up to date (even though 'up to date' is pretty old) dlink doesn't update their firmware very often.
--
~~Desu