how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bluenote73

join:2009-02-17
V4N6A5
reply to bbbc

Re: [Cable] TSI West (Shaw): Speed during peak hours?

how about an update on this for those of us considering the service?

phlypsyde

join:2011-05-09
Vancouver, BC
It looks like I may have to switch to a Docsis 3 modem due to congestion on the shaw network. I'll update how this goes.

fluffybunny

@teksavvy.com
reply to bluenote73
guys - there IS no congestion on the shaw network. the only congestion is ON THE LOCAL NODE which will affect you anyway regardless of whether you are on TSI or Shaw.

i am using an SB5101 modem. it was picked up for free from a garbage bin in an office. it works great, DOCSIS 2.0, old and reliable.
i am in a non node congested area and the network is fine.

phlypsyde

Vancouver, BC
Congestion on the local node is.... the Shaw network.

Correct, this congestion will impact regardless of provider. However, Teksavvy need to push their supplier for improvement if their customers experience degraded speeds due to node congestion.

phlypsyde

Vancouver, BC

1 edit
I'm on a SB5101 as well. No problem with the modem. Congestion nightly around 9pm. Took 2 hours of troubleshooting and a week of back & forth with Teksavvy to get them to admit it.

phlypsyde

Vancouver, BC

9:40pm in Kitsilano on Teksavvy Cable 25Mbit package.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to fluffybunny
said by fluffybunny :

i am using an SB5101 modem. it was picked up for free from a garbage bin in an office. it works great, DOCSIS 2.0, old and reliable.

*Blinks*! Oh really! Oi, Though I'd wonder how you got that provisioned. If its not, you might be watching it for when the network gets around to doing an audit for athorized modems, or when the CMTS catches it.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

fluffybunny

@teksavvy.com
its been working for over a year. dont know what you mean by provision but i just gave em the mac address, told them its a 5101 and it works fine.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
Ah you got lucky then, yeah I had the impression you just found the modem in the garbage bin and just slapped it on the line. But if you gave 'em the mac address and those other details to get it put on thats the provisioning part, then I'd say you lucked out on the freebie modem after all.

Just so you know, maybe be aware sometime down the road you might have to switch to a docsis 3.0 unit. But for the time being it sounds like you're doing ok with the 5101. Cheers.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca