how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ripperjack

join:2012-01-12
Fredericksburg, TX

4G LTE Hotspot, when?

When are they going to have a 4G LTE hotspot device, rather than the one they have now that is using the cripped WiMax network?

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
They have not said... and the Galaxy Victory (the only lte device on vm-usa) doesn't list the "add hotspot for $15" like the wimax androids do.

Ripperjack

Fredericksburg, TX
reply to Ripperjack
This REALLY SUCKS, now that I see that Sprint has finally lit up my town with 4G Lte, and I don't have a virgin device to use it.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
reply to Ripperjack
Virgin is more than likely NOT going to put up a 4gLTE broadband2go device just yet.

look how dated the mi-fi was....Clearanced them out to $19.99.
finally took off website.

look how dated the MC760 USB stick was . . . Clearanced them out to 9.99. finally took off the website.

BOTH of these devices have been around for YEARS. (AMAZINGLY, some MVNO' still use them like DATAJACK, and TRUCONNECT, and still try to charge $70 for them).

then here comes the Overdrive by Sierra, and the U600 by Franklin....Both do 4G, but WIMAX..... they're still active and supported devices.

i'd say they'll stay around a while, until their EOL comes around.

I wouldn't hold my breath for them to put a tri-fi on broadband2go.....

Ripperjack

Fredericksburg, TX
Reviews:
·Charter
I pretty much expected this. It appears I'm going to have to revisit T-Mobile, once they expand out to my area some time "By the end of 2013"

I just returned my Sonic hotspot device, as I can only get "G" coverage (1Mb in 15 minutes). However, I'm hoping that now that Sprint has 4G LTE out here, T-Mobile will follow and I can, try them again.

As for Virgin.... Meh... Like you said I'm not holding out hope. Just keep trucking along with my $40 grandfathered 3G account until then.

dib22

Kansas City, MO
reply to compuguybna
said by compuguybna:

Oh I would... depends on if they overproduce them like they did the 2200

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
You got that right. How many of the MIFI 2200's did Novatel Wireless make? Probably still making them...

I think some of the other MVNO's bought up all the rest.....
Look at TRU CONNECT and the WAL-MART internet on the go.
Both use the 2200, Charge $79 for them (this is the one I took back, awful speeds).
DataJack does the same, $89 for theirs....
old device, but still maximizing profit there.

I might snag a VM Sierra Overdrive off FleaBay. A friend of mine in another city has one where WIMAX was available. About 5mbps there, and about 1mbps on 3G. Walmart will eventually mark these down, as they marked down the U600.

said by dib22:

said by compuguybna:

Oh I would... depends on if they overproduce them like they did the 2200

JamesGTRS

@bigsb.net
I currently use the Sierra Overdrive 3g/4g hotspot through Virgin, and I love it.

It's breathed new life into my phone that was crippled by 0.5 megabit 3G service from Sprint. Everywhere I go in my area is now 5 megabit. Last month I blew through 17gb of data without getting throttled. $35, 17gb? Who else does that? If you get throttled, it's supposed to cap you at 2 megabits...that's still 4x faster than my 3g phone was getting!

It might not be the greatest, but it works well. I picked it up at Walmart last year as the black friday deal...$38.88 for the device. Worth every penny.

Ripperjack

Fredericksburg, TX
Reviews:
·Charter
said by JamesGTRS :

It might not be the greatest, but it works well. I picked it up at Walmart last year as the black friday deal...$38.88 for the device. Worth every penny.

OK mate, you can stop hawking Virgins overdrive product now!!

The problem with Virgin 4G, is that they are still using the older WiMax network, which has a very small footprint, compared to the ever expanding 4G LTE network.

If your beloved overdrive had 4G LTE capability, I'd drive down to walmart NOW, and buy one. However, as I am an hours drive away from the nearest WiMax covered area, no way the Overdrive would help me.

If Virgin wants new customers, it needs to stop hanging onto the old WiMax network, stop hounding customers whom live within that tiny footprint, and bring out a 4G LTE modem, which would extend their reach for new customers 10 fold, me included.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
reply to JamesGTRS
Post your usage screen, we'll all believe you used 17GB of data in 1 month. Not until. (of course, you're an anon. user).

The usage meter would not allow you to go over.

said by JamesGTRS :

I currently use the Sierra Overdrive 3g/4g hotspot through Virgin, and I love it.

It's breathed new life into my phone that was crippled by 0.5 megabit 3G service from Sprint. Everywhere I go in my area is now 5 megabit. Last month I blew through 17gb of data without getting throttled. $35, 17gb? Who else does that? If you get throttled, it's supposed to cap you at 2 megabits...that's still 4x faster than my 3g phone was getting!

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
reply to JamesGTRS
Once again, I can guarantee that you didn't use 17GB on ANY Virgin Mobile Network.

Yesterday, I used the daily 500MB plan on 4G. The usage counter online is almost REAL TIME. As soon as you hit +/- 20MB, and you're over your daily allowance on 4G, you will be THROTTLED to a snails crawl. Anywhere from 100kbps to 200kbps. Enough for browsing but not for anything else.

I tracked it spot on, it happened. their system WILL throttle you in an instant.

ALSO, I got these emails about the minute it all happened.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Confirmation no.: 912145398 Date/Time: May 13, 2013 01:40 pm(CST)
Your account has used 85 percent of your data usage cap. Once you reach 500.000MB of usage, we'll reduce your data speeds through 05/15/2013.

Confirmation no.: 912150030 Date/Time: May 13, 2013 01:47 pm(CST)
Your account has exceeded its data usage cap of 500.000MB. We have reduced your data speeds through 05/15/2013.

To check out your account online, go to virginmobileusa.com any time. If you'd like to talk about this notice, please give us a call at: 877-877-8443

Did you know?

--------------------------------------------------------------

So your claim of using 16GB on Virgin Mobile is pure b/s!

said by JamesGTRS :

dib22

Kansas City, MO
said by compuguybna:

Once again, I can guarantee that you didn't use 17GB on ANY Virgin Mobile Network.

I hit 50-60 GB usage for various months on Virgin Mobile EVDO... not sure why you think 17GB would be that hard to hit on wimax?

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
No way that happens on any current plans . . .

said by dib22:

said by compuguybna:

I hit 50-60 GB usage for various months on Virgin Mobile EVDO... not sure why you think 17GB would be that hard to hit on wimax?

dib22

Kansas City, MO
said by compuguybna:

No way that happens on any current plans . . .

Sure it is, on the wimax plans... much easier in fact because the throttle speeds are pretty high on the wimax side.

You are correct about the new plans in regard to EVDO... you would pay a lot for 40 gigs of EVDO...

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
reply to Ripperjack
WIMAX is dying quickly. Virgin mobile better should come up with the TRI-FI soon.

Guess current VM devices will be useless on 4G when Clear axes Wi-max.

I'd buy a Victory, but I am sure Sprint/VM crippled the hotshot feature on purpose, since this is the first LTE phone on Sprint

VM had it for $187. Anyway, you'd be throttled after 2.5GB of data....

dib22

Kansas City, MO

1 edit
Why would sprint put in multimodal towers with the new upgrade if it was dying quickly?

Who knows what softbank will do, since wimax is so much more energy efficient compared to LTE they might start selling tri-mode phones as standard... hard to say what will happen in the future with so much going on.

edit: spelling

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
They need to work on getting their "LTE" network built strong, and forget about wimax. they got ALOT of work to do.....after trying the Victory, their first LTE phone. I'm not impressed.

said by dib22:

Why would sprint put in multimodal towers with the new upgrade if it was dying quickly?

Who knows what softbank will do, since wimax is so much more energy efficient compared to LTE they might start selling tri-mode phones as standard... hard to say what will happen in the future with so much going on.

edit: spelling

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
reply to dib22
there is NO hotspot on the Victory for VM. its disabled.

said by dib22:

They have not said... and the Galaxy Victory (the only lte device on vm-usa) doesn't list the "add hotspot for $15" like the wimax androids do.

bgarcia17

join:2013-07-12
Princeton, TX
reply to Ripperjack
Sounds like it's time for a petition!

AMDee

@verizon.net
reply to JamesGTRS
Could not have said it better myself. I blow through 30gb a month and no throttle. Love my Overdrive pro. It gets hot but if u stand it up on its side its fine.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
Ironically, you're posting from a VERIZON domain!

said by AMDee :

Could not have said it better myself. I blow through 30gb a month and no throttle. Love my Overdrive pro. It gets hot but if u stand it up on its side its fine.