uniqs
share rss forum feed

RXDOC
You want what?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-03-13
Pawtucket, RI

[Modem] New 4111N wireless gateway

What is the best settings for a 6 meg plan...I am currently getting 130Mbps but want to know if there is a better setup.

I am with all the defaults now...15MCS, etc

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

I don't know what 15MCS is, and can't find it in my Pace 4111N-030 (which doesn't have AT&T firmware, so it might be ISP specific setting?)

130 Mbps is faster than AT&T "Elite" DSL speed (6.016 Mbps sync, 5.112 Mbps throughput).

What does your modem report for sync (Rate:), SNR (Noise Margin:), and attenuation?

In general, there is nothing to tweak on a DSL modem; either it works within the constraints of the length of the copper loop, or it doesn't.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

RXDOC
You want what?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-03-13
Pawtucket, RI

Well that is good news then...

I am getting a much more consistent wireless performance since setting this up right out of the box.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by RXDOC:

Well that is good news then...

Except that 130 Mbps is faster than probably 98% of the U.S. I got that percentage from a Comcast user's posted Speedtest.net results. Very few Comcast users, and fewer still other cableco users get speeds much over 120 Mbps on DOCSIS systems.

I am getting a much more consistent wireless performance since setting this up right out of the box.

I think I misunderstood your post; you are not discussing WAN speed, but LAN speed. Ah, there is the 15MCS you speak of:

My defaults ...

I don't use wireless much. I had the old place wired (mostly DiY; but remodel contractor added a couple of rooms). The new place is so cramped wireless isn't necessary. I am capable of 1 Gbps wired, if all wired devices have 1 Gbps ports.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum