uniqs

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Hey Now

Premium Member

to Hey Now

Re: cogeco ftth oakville phone problems? not ringing in.

I have no idea what you just attempted to say.

All I will say is that the end user equipment and service offerings are identical with Cogeco regardless of whether you're served via coax into your home or fibre. The only difference is that when coax goes into your home the conversion to fibre is in a green box up the street, while with RFoG the conversion to fibre occurs with a mini node strapped to a battery and fed directly from your hydro meter on the side of the house. If you didn't know what you were looking for you wouldn't know the difference.

Hey Now
@rogers.com

Hey Now

Anon

Wow thanks for the lesson Now I know. How does that differ from Bell Or Rogers in A FTTH area? Do rogers and bell put Fibre Lines througout the House? So what your saying is that the Micro Node at the SOH, One leg goes to hydro, the other carry's RF and anf the modem goes of a 9DB coupler so that to attempt to bring the modem closer to 0DB.
Working for both Cable and phone companies I am all to aware how FTTH works. All I was trying to say is fibre lines are Glass. And for you to say RFoG isn't a fibre optic line is wrong
Hey Now

Hey Now to Gone

Anon

to Gone
And sorry one more thing the conversion dosn't happen and the "green Box" down the street visit any new Subdivion in Milton, waterdown Burlington..... and the line is spliced in the CSE where the Mocro Node is placed. That's where the conversion happens

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

Gone to Hey Now

Premium Member

to Hey Now
said by Hey Now :

Working for both Cable and phone companies I am all to aware how FTTH works. All I was trying to say is fibre lines are Glass. And for you to say RFoG isn't a fibre optic line is wrong

said by Gone:
For the record, Cogeco uses RFoG for their FTTH installs. It is effectively no different than a home that is fed directly by coax instead.
I never said fibre lines aren't glass. I also never said that RFoG isn't FTTH. I said it effectively operates no differently than if they wired coax right into your home. There is no advantage to it from the customer side, and there's no point in pointing out you're on an RFoG installation because your Internet service, digital phone service and television service is identical to anyone who has coax. That's what I said. No more. No less. How you read more into that is beyond me.
Expand your moderator at work
Gone

1 edit

Gone

Premium Member

Re: cogeco ftth oakville phone problems? not ringing in.

nm
Gone

Gone to Hey Now

Premium Member

to Hey Now
I don't live in Milton, Waterdown or Burlington.

coaxguy
join:2009-07-29

coaxguy to Hey Now

to Hey Now
said by Hey Now :

And sorry one more thing the conversion dosn't happen and the "green Box" down the street visit any new Subdivion in Milton, waterdown Burlington..... and the line is spliced in the CSE where the Mocro Node is placed. That's where the conversion happens

Gone is not disputing that Cogeco uses fiber to the home. He was simply correcting the terminology and pointing out that the service issue is not determined by the signal delivery, but rather a head end/ main mode issue.

splittin
@cogeco.net

splittin to Hey Now

Anon

to Hey Now
There is still a "green box" and that is still where your main fiber is split for the sub division, the micro node will be on the side of your house in your CSE, that is where it turns from light to RF.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by splittin :

There is still a "green box" and that is still where your main fiber is split for the sub division, the micro node will be on the side of your house in your CSE, that is where it turns from light to RF.

Right, and my reference to the "green box" was for areas that aren't using FTTH and instead are served with coax, since that's where the plant will convert from fibre to RF in "traditional" areas.

My point was that it doesn't matter if it's converted to coax in the green box or coax at the side of the house, the service is otherwise identical.

splittin
@cogeco.net

splittin

Anon

My bad, I re-read what hey now wrote and mis-understood what he was saying..