uniqs
caps620
join:2009-01-18
Central NJ

caps620

Caller ID and Remote DVR stop working quite often

Hello everyone,
Sorry if this is a repeat topic ......
About every month or so Caller ID and remote DVR access both stop working. A router reset or the Caller ID fix from the STB menu does not correct the problems, only a DVR reboot does.
I have Cat 5 from the ONT to the standard AT router, REV D (i think).
Does anybody else experience this problem? Is this one of those issues that never goes away and we have to just deal with it.
Thanks
swope1221
join:2008-08-26
Newtown, PA

swope1221

Hi caps, I had this problem after the long power outage due to Sandy. I googled this and found a post in the verizon forums that said to check the protocol on the router. Apparently it should be a UDP protocol and that TCP was not as reliable. I Dm'd Verizon Support at twitter and asked them to remap the CID ports and set the protocol to UDP because it was being flaky. They changed it back in early Nov. and has not gone down once since.
caps620
Central NJ

caps620

Thank you for the info swope, just tweeted VZ and they set the protocol to UDP. Never tweeted for support but it worked out pretty well. Thanks again
swope1221
join:2008-08-26
Newtown, PA

swope1221

No problem, if I remember mine didn't happen instantly, but by the next morning it was kicked in.

Twitter is my go to for support. I either tweet or dm them and they haven't let me down.
caps620
Central NJ

caps620

It's been about a month since I had Verizon change the protocol and both caller ID and remote DVR have been working flawlessly.
matthewh16
join:2010-05-21
Culver City, CA

matthewh16 to caps620

to caps620
I've found a permanent solution to this, but I don't know if you can do it with the Actiontec's DHCP system. Have Verizon get CID and Remote DVR working. Then set the STB's to use STATIC DHCP, so they get the same IP every time, no matter what gets rebooted. I've had no problems for over a year now after doing this.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by matthewh16:

I've found a permanent solution to this, but I don't know if you can do it with the Actiontec's DHCP system. Have Verizon get CID and Remote DVR working. Then set the STB's to use STATIC DHCP, so they get the same IP every time, no matter what gets rebooted. I've had no problems for over a year now after doing this.

My STB had not changed it's IP address in five years, since it was installed. The real solution is to get the UDP protocol set for your account as caps620 did.
justin9876
join:2006-04-21
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

said by PJL:

My STB had not changed it's IP address in five years, since it was installed. The real solution is to get the UDP protocol set for your account as caps620 did.

I agree, and for me it works perfectly even if the STBs do change IP addresses. I have three STBs, I bet the CID has been reliably working for at least 3 or 4 years on all of them, I can't remember a failure since soon after the feature became available. And I do have the UDP protocol.

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to caps620

to caps620
FWIW, I originally had a 6146 DVR and Remote DVR was very sporadic since it was implemented a few years ago - it worked less than 10% of the time. On three occasions, V* tried to reset the DVR and my account settings but it made no difference.

In March, I got an upgrade to a 7232 for the MPEG4 changeover and since that time, it has been rock solid OK. I'm not sure whether the issue was related to the old DVR or whether activating the new one "realigned" my account allowing it to work all the time. I checked it on almost a daily basis after the new DVR went in and now I use it a couple times a week and it has never failed.

I don't have CID implemented on my system since the phone is immediately next to the TV viewing position so I don't know if that would have been a problem.
egruber1
join:2008-03-03
Scottsdale, AZ

egruber1 to swope1221

to swope1221
How do I check whether I have a UDP or TCP protocol on my router? And where exactly did you tweet to get Verizon to change it? Thanks!