uniqs
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian

Re: My windows 7 desktop has "snapped" in half

#1 - Understood. Just tested one. Images are posting fine now.

#2 - I'll look into log-me-in. Does that require that the other person install a program on their computer or register as a user at logmein? If so, that might be a problem for them to grasp. I can handle my end okay.

#3 - Good to know logmein would work with XP to W7. What about using the native Windows Remote Assistance tool? Does that work easily from an XP computer to a troubled W7 box?

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

said by Gem:

#1 - Understood. Just tested one. Images are posting fine now.

#2 - I'll look into log-me-in. Does that require that the other person install a program on their computer or register as a user at logmein? If so, that might be a problem for them to grasp. I can handle my end okay.

#3 - Good to know logmein would work with XP to W7. What about using the native Windows Remote Assistance tool? Does that work easily from an XP computer to a troubled W7 box?

Remote assistance is something of a bad dream to get working behind a NAT router. Log Me In, Teamviewer, etc. are much easier.

Zupe
MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY

Zupe to Gem

MVM

to Gem
As posted earlier, as far as I'm aware, this isn't a feature of Windows 7. From Googling, a frequent cause seems to be bad/corrupt drivers. As suggested, I would reinstall up to date video drivers.
Quattrohead
Premium Member
join:2005-02-09

Quattrohead

Premium Member

Use Teamviewer, its free and you can run it rather than installing it.
Simple enough to talk anyone through it on the phone.

Mr Anon
@k12.il.us

Mr Anon to Gem

Anon

to Gem
A picture would help.

This doesn't sound like something windows can do by its self (the desktop) is it just the picture in the background or the whole shebang? Coursor stops halfway, so do icons, full sized windows etc etc.

the taskbar:
Right click a free spot on it and select properties. In the new window select from the first drop down box "bottom" Hit okay.

For the desktop I'd have to see it and know if you have any right click options on the desktop, things like "Catalyst control denter" "Nview" or "graphic options" You can always reset the default theme in personalize and check settings in screen resolution.
SHOtime
join:2001-12-04
Bedford, IN

SHOtime to Gem

to Gem
My Win8 with multiple monitors occasionally does this on bootup. It can be anywhere from just slightly split where the very bottom of the screen is at the top or split into 4 somewhat equal pieces across all 4 corners.

The fix for mine is to go into the resolution settings. Make sure it is set for a single desktop and not extended. You may even need to change the resolution to something lowerand then back again to get it to readjust.
Gem
Premium Member

1 edit

Gem to Kramer

Premium Member

to Kramer
Thank you, Kramer. That is extremely good to know.

And thank you to everyone else who helped. Many of you got the diagnosis of the problem right.

And the solution - capturing the taskbar and moving it back to the bottom where it belonged.

As to the screen. It really was "cut in half" by the taskbar that first moved up to the half way point and then to the left hand side and across the top.

It also really was two screen views on the desktop. One on top and one on the bottom. The top was blank and the bottom what the program the user had open.

Moving the task bar back to the bottom let the main program expand back up to fill the whole screen.;)

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to SHOtime

Premium Member

to SHOtime
said by SHOtime:

My Win8 with multiple monitors occasionally does this on bootup. It can be anywhere from just slightly split where the very bottom of the screen is at the top or split into 4 somewhat equal pieces across all 4 corners.

The fix for mine is to go into the resolution settings. Make sure it is set for a single desktop and not extended. You may even need to change the resolution to something lowerand then back again to get it to readjust.

I've never seen this and have had 8 installed on a dual monitor system for a few months now.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

It can happen. It obviously happened to us. We didn't make it up.

As for how it happened, it turns out there is more to the story. On the laptop the user has a wireless mouse that is used with the right hand.

The user's left hand sits in a normal touch typing position with the left hand thumb sometimes resting on the touchpad just below the spacebar. The user's thumb then moved across the touchpad at the same time that the mouse pointer moved beyond the desktop screen borders. That's when the main desktop window split in two and also when the taskbar repositioned itself.

Disabling the touchpad as well as disabling the "Snap" feature in Windows is said to prevent this problem from happening again.

Googling "how to disable snap in Windows 7 (or 8)" will come up with hits on how to disable snap, but not how to eliminate the split screens that snapping creates. Snapping is also called "docking the window" in some settings.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Do note who my reply was directed at.

Mr Anon
@k12.il.us

Mr Anon to Gem

Anon

to Gem
Now that you explain it sounds like an issue with refresh rate or signal but I'd more doubt the later.