join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Coxcustomer

Re: [GA]WarnerRobins High latency\bad tracerouting to many areas

One more time: You show no (0%) packet loss at 74.125.225.240. Please explain how packets lost at 68.1.4.133 are making it to 74.125.225.240. Because that is what your PingPlot is showing.

Please look at your first Cox IP address: 68.1.8.1. A latency of 109 ms at that hop is not normal. Here is a tracert from a Comcast user to an AT&T user:
Tracing route to reki.aosake.net [68.126.149.120]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.123.254
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    18 ms    11 ms    15 ms  ge-1-1-ur01.corvallis.or.bverton.comcast.net [68.87.219.97]
  4    14 ms    14 ms     *     te-9-1-ur01.salem.or.bverton.comcast.net [68.87.216.54]

Note the latency of the 3rd and 4th hops is only 11 ms to 18 ms. I expect this from early hops on cable connections.

Here is another going the other way:
Tracing route to vcodsk0039.hsd1.or.comcast.net [67.171.206.239]

1    <1 ms     2 ms     1 ms  suzuka.aosake.net [192.168.0.1]
  2     9 ms     8 ms     9 ms  adsl-68-126-149-0.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net [68.126.149.0]
  3     9 ms     8 ms    22 ms  64.164.107.129

The 2nd and 3rd hops are 8 ms to 9 ms, with one statistical outlier. This is typical for DSL with Fastpath (no error correction).

And a recent trace to Google:
Tracing route to www.google.com [74.125.224.148]

1    <1 ms    <1 ms     1 ms  homeportal [192.168.42.1]
  2    27 ms    24 ms    26 ms  173-228-7-1.dsl.static.sonic.net [173.228.7.1]
  3    24 ms    25 ms    25 ms  gig1-4.cr1.lsatca11.sonic.net [70.36.243.13]

2nd and 3rd hops ate 24 ms to 27 ms; typical for DSL with Interleaved (error correction active).

The problem is not packet loss midway to the end, but induced high latency at the beginning.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

domiguy85

join:2009-06-02
Warner Robins, GA
reply to Coxcustomer
said by Coxcustomer:

Interesting that we are BOTH having really close to the exact same experience. It is even the same IP that is suffering high packet loss.

Using that data I mean it is pretty safe to say that something around the area of 68.1.4.133 is not right at all.

Right, 68.1.8.1 and 68.1.4.133 always seem to jump in latency during the peak times. Take that what you will I suppose since it didn't seem to matter as much to the techs. I was originally given the excuse that it was issues with the backbone network, but I find it sad that there aren't contingency plans for cases like this (especially if it's been happening to you for awhile now).

I would really recommend you complain to tech support and/or get a credit for the poor service if possible. More people complaining can only raise awareness on the issue if it really is a city-wide problem.

Coxcustomer

join:2013-04-17
reply to domiguy85
Interesting that we are BOTH having really close to the exact same experience. It is even the same IP that is suffering high packet loss.

Using that data I mean it is pretty safe to say that something around the area of 68.1.4.133 is not right at all.

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA
reply to domiguy85
Well, that was fast.

Tech came by about 5:20 or so, ran some tests at the tap, said all looked good after 15 or so minutes, and then went on his way. As I told him and everyone already figured out, he wasn't likely going to find anything, but the checkup was needed to escalate further to the maintenance team. He seemed to understand this.

I'll keep updates on what happens next, especially if they take too long to address this ongoing issue.

In the meantime, here's my daily traceroute showing high latencies for 4/17, 5:49 p.m:

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA
reply to Coxcustomer
said by Coxcustomer:

Got the same issue here in Warner Robins. Has been going on for the past few days. I have had broadband here with Cox for about 4 years.

This happens a lot and when you call it is ALWAYS on your end and you will need to agree to unknown charges if they have to come out and "fix" something on your end. No way I am verbally agreeing to an open ended agreement like that. Odd part is it being on "my end" is after a month or two it fixes and we have about 3 or 4 months of GREAT connectivity. Odd how it seems to fix itself for that long it being on out end and all.

I know what you're talking about; the Level 2 guy said that there's a possibility of a fee if they find an issue on your end. I'm not worried about that though since I didn't start my Cox service until last week Wednesday. Any issue they do find means that it wasn't setup correctly by the first technician. I'll laugh at any attempts to charge me fees because I've been constantly documenting here. I'll also file a FCC report if I get forced with any dubious charges.

I'm not too happy regarding your comments about it doing this every now and then (no way I'll let this go for months), but I'll try my best make it so that it'd be more cost effective for them to find the issue than not.

said by Coxcustomer:

Cox Cable in Warner Robins really other then DSL has no competition. FIOS is not here yet. I do believe once FIOS comes here we will see a big change as if they do not shape up a lot of customers will ship out.

Sadly this is true. I've had good experiences with Windstream DSL for about a year or so at least; they did have one issue that lasted a few days, but they admitted it was a problem on their end and fixed it. Their connection is pretty stable as you can tell by the traceroutes of my previous posts. It's just a shame how much slower it is.

And yeah, FIOS, google fiber, whatever...would change quite a bit if that were available.

Update: Technician should be here soon since I have a 5-7 p.m appointment. I'll post again once he finishes.

Coxcustomer

join:2013-04-17
reply to NormanS
I looked it up and it seems you are right. I hope this does not mean we are stuck with extremely bad service in the middle Georgia area for LIFE. No competition no reason to improve. They can keep offering bad service and we have no choice but to either take it or downgrade to a DSL line.

Not really fair in my opinion.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Coxcustomer
said by Coxcustomer :

Cox Cable in Warner Robins really other then DSL has no competition. FIOS is not here yet. I do believe once FIOS comes here we will see a big change as if they do not shape up a lot of customers will ship out.

Is Warner Robins served by Verizon? If not, FiOS will never get there.
--
Norman

Coxcustomer

@cox.net
reply to domiguy85
Got the same issue here in Warner Robins. Has been going on for the past few days. I have had broadband here with Cox for about 4 years.

This happens a lot and when you call it is ALWAYS on your end and you will need to agree to unknown charges if they have to come out and "fix" something on your end. No way I am verbally agreeing to an open ended agreement like that. Odd part is it being on "my end" is after a month or two it fixes and we have about 3 or 4 months of GREAT connectivity. Odd how it seems to fix itself for that long it being on out end and all.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Cox_tiff
said by Cox_tiff:

The packet depriorization wouldn't affect your speed when surfing the internet, playing online games, transferring files, etc.

domiguy85 See Profile is showing unusually high latency on his first Cox IP hop. I have run tracert on AT&T (ADSL Fastpath), Charter (DOCSIS 2.0), Comcast (DOCSIS 2.0), and Sonic.net "Fusion" (ADSL2+ Interleaved) connections. I've never seen latency higher than 25 ms (ADSL2+ Interleaved) on the first IP hop; the others being 9 ms (ADSL Fastpath) to 15 ms (DOCSIS 2.0).

Even I consider 100+ ms on the first IP hop as unacceptable, and latency isn't all that critical to my operations.
--
Norman

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA
reply to domiguy85
4/16 8:19 p.m

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA
reply to domiguy85
Another traceroute for documentation sake 4/15 at 8:08 p.m:

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA

1 edit
reply to Cox_tiff
Well, whatever it is, it's very apparent when playing online games. The pings are all 120+ or higher than usual to servers. The traceroutes very much show this when I run it to those same servers.

Anyway, I called tech support to schedule an appointment regardless of what was told to me. Apparently this is needed to escalate the issue from the technician to maintenance if no problems can be found at my end. I did not know this (and I would've scheduled an appointment sooner if I had known).

They're coming by in a couple days, so I'll see where it goes from there. I'm glad I didn't wait the week or two as I originally planned as the Level 2 guy I got off the phone with seemed confident about it being fixable.

Cox_tiff

join:2013-01-12
Chesapeake, VA

1 edit
reply to domiguy85
Hi Domiguy85,

The packet depriorization wouldn't affect your speed when surfing the internet, playing online games, transferring files, etc. Most likely ICMP packets (Ping and Traceroute) are assigned a low priority. If the device is configured to prioritize other traffic first, then all ICMP traffic will have to wait till all other traffic has been processed before they will respond to ICMP traffic.This will appear as a false positive, but if non-ICMP traffic is routed through the same server, it would not experience the same depriorization. The reason why this would not cause any latency issue, is because the type of traffic you would be sending through the server is not ICMP.

I would be happy to have our escalations team look at it again for you, since it does appear in your later traceroutes to maintain those ping rates.

Tiffany
Cox Social Media and Forums moderator

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA

1 edit
reply to Cox_tiff
said by Cox_tiff:

Hi domiguy85,

If you continue to receive low speeds with the router bypassed, we may want to schedule a service call to look at your signal.

Tiffany

said by domiguy85:

Summary of this issue so far:

Modem: Motorola SB6141 out of the box directly connected to PC

I appreciate the quick comments Tiffany (please look over my other posts carefully), but is there implication that it is ok since it's 'packet prioritization'? The end result is I get higher latency than I should be getting, so saying as such seems very much applicable to me. Regardless of the term, it's ongoing as shown here:

I called Tier 2 today at 5:00 p.m and once again I was told that a tech would likely find nothing since the signals appear green on their end. However, if that's needed to escalate the issue even more, I'll go ahead and do it since I am getting conflicting answers. There doesn't seem to be much coordination on the issue.

Cox_tiff

join:2013-01-12
Chesapeake, VA
reply to domiguy85
Hi domiguy85,

Looking at your traceroute results, it appears to be packet depriorization and not a latency issue. The packets after that all show lower response times which would not be possible in a true latency issue. Each packet would have to be at least as high or higher than the point for there to be latency. If you continue to receive low speeds with the router bypassed, we may want to schedule a service call to look at your signal.

Tiffany

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA
reply to domiguy85
Here's a better picture:

So the DSL currently has superior routing over COX's lines. Or at least they have much better contingency plans.

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA
reply to domiguy85
Comparison of my Cox 'Premier' Service vs the DSL line I have. I switched back and forth to see when the cable's latency went down. It usually isn't till around 11:30 p.m. or so after all.

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA
reply to domiguy85
Update 2:28 4/14 p.m.:

Called Level 2 tech support and talked to a rep named Bill. He looked over the ticket information and said that the engineers couldn't find any issues on their network and the problem seemed to stem from general routing issues after the fact. However, he said that he did see the high latency himself and that it was definitely unusual behavior that's happened before and is temporary.

He said I should be able to get a full refund if it's like that after two weeks, so I decided to just switch between using my current DSL service and cable service depending on the time of day. They've been updating my ticket information with all this.

It kind of annoys me I'm giving them time, but at least they admitted it's not on my end and it's not normal. I'll update here when that times comes as it's the last chance I'm giving.

Target date: 4/28/13

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA
reply to domiguy85
1:44 p.m 4/14

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA
reply to domiguy85
Summary of this issue so far:

Modem: Motorola SB6141 out of the box directly connected to PC
Service: Premiere
Length of issue: Since I was a customer (4/10/13)
Ticket Number: 1538941

Latency issues during peak congestion hours (usually 6 p.m to 11 p.m).

In-state tests are usually fine. Once my connection is routed out of state, notably by the ip addresses 68.1.8.1 and 68.1.4.133, latency jumps to 120+. These are cox owned addys.

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA

3 edits
reply to domiguy85
Another example of latency being terrible then slowly reverting to normal once Cox's hardware can take it at about 12:50 a.m 4/14. I sat here and watched the latency of their 68.1.8.x addy go from 150 to the numbers you see now:

Basically there's a only a couple things that'll happen from here. I'll be contacted by or call level 2 support and get a yes, we're fixing it, or no we don't know what to do, and then decide whether I'll continue with their services or not. I should know by Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I'll cancel if nothing good comes out of it. Due to the poor service and the fact that I wasn't a customer for even a week, I'll obviously not be paying for anything. I am tempted to try and test other modems and/or the Ultimate tier just to see if there's any differences. I'd be extremely surprised though.

What's a shame is the technician who came by when my connection was setup did a great job running the cable, going under the crawlspace, checking everything was working fine, and he was really friendly during his time here. It's disheartening to know he wasted his time in a way. I made sure to give him credit in the feedback though.

Savvis

@cox.net
reply to domiguy85
Thanks for keeping us updated. I'd be curious what they say when they get back to you.

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA
reply to domiguy85
Still bad as of 11:44 p.m 4/13

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA
reply to domiguy85
Bad latency again as of 8:57 p.m 4/13.

I haven't received the call about the issue yet (I think).

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA

1 edit
reply to domiguy85
Good example of how the latency is erratic then dies down during off hours. I was told this was NOT normal whatsoever.

If I had to guess, there's some hardware that's struggling to handle the load at those router locations I mentioned above.

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA
reply to domiguy85
So I called tech support again and was able to get through to a level 2 support guy named Basil I believe.

I basically gave him all the information you guys see here and we did notice how the latency shoots up after it hits certain hops (usually 68.1.4.133 and 68.1.8.1 depending on server). He recorded all the information I sent to him in an email and said he'd contact his supervisors about the issue. I will be getting a guaranteed call (his words) within 72 hours about it.

Based on that call, it'll likely be the make or break point of me deciding to continue the service or not since I really can't do anything on my end to alleviate the issue (that I know of).

Here's some pings of those two ip addresses by the way as of 9:42 p.m 4/12 -- these are cox owned (I guess they're the routers or something) and a majority of connections to out of state servers will go through these hops:

>ping 68.1.4.133 -n 10

Pinging 68.1.4.133 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 68.1.4.133: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=60
Reply from 68.1.4.133: bytes=32 time=141ms TTL=60
Reply from 68.1.4.133: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=60
Reply from 68.1.4.133: bytes=32 time=152ms TTL=60
Reply from 68.1.4.133: bytes=32 time=155ms TTL=60
Reply from 68.1.4.133: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=60
Reply from 68.1.4.133: bytes=32 time=148ms TTL=60
Reply from 68.1.4.133: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=60
Reply from 68.1.4.133: bytes=32 time=153ms TTL=60
Reply from 68.1.4.133: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 68.1.4.133:
Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 155ms, Average = 93ms

>ping 68.1.8.1 -n 10

Pinging 68.1.8.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 68.1.8.1: bytes=32 time=136ms TTL=254
Reply from 68.1.8.1: bytes=32 time=139ms TTL=254
Reply from 68.1.8.1: bytes=32 time=125ms TTL=254
Reply from 68.1.8.1: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=254
Reply from 68.1.8.1: bytes=32 time=121ms TTL=254
Reply from 68.1.8.1: bytes=32 time=130ms TTL=254
Reply from 68.1.8.1: bytes=32 time=156ms TTL=254
Reply from 68.1.8.1: bytes=32 time=104ms TTL=254
Reply from 68.1.8.1: bytes=32 time=119ms TTL=254
Reply from 68.1.8.1: bytes=32 time=121ms TTL=254

Ping statistics for 68.1.8.1:
Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 104ms, Maximum = 156ms, Average = 126ms

>

As you can tell, it's impossible to get a decent ping if I'm already hosed before even leaving the state.

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA
reply to domiguy85
At about 7:00 p.m the pings started jumping to unacceptable levels. Congestion aside, there should not be that poor of a performance hit, especially for higher tier services. I will be calling to see what can be done about it; if nothing, I will be canceling/getting a refund for the poor service.

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA

4 edits
reply to domiguy85
Just a reminder that I will be constantly posting here and calling Cox technical support until I feel confident that this issue is resolved. I also have DSL service as a backup, so I'm under no obligation to keep this noncontracted (monthly only) Premiere service if I feel it's inadequate.

--

Pings are fine as of 6:30 a.m 4/12. I have a traceroute continually running so I'll be able to tell when it goes bad again -- which I expect it will during those 'peak' hours.

Update:

11:30 a.m 4/13 - pings still about ~50 on avg

1:20 p.m. 4/13 - pings still about ~50 on avg

3:45 p.m 4/13 - pings still about ~50 on avg

5:40 p.m 4/13 - pings averaging about ~70 or so; some congestion is understandable since this is probably peak time -- as long as it's not anywhere as bad as before.

domiguy85

Warner Robins, GA

2 edits
reply to domiguy85
It's still bad for me as of 11:20 p.m.

Annnnnnnd, as of 11:30 p.m my pings are all at acceptable ranges. This is ridiculous and suspicious how it magically fixes itself at a certain time.

Note that I am not ok with this inconsistent performance, especially considering my service just started.

Savvis

@cox.net
reply to domiguy85
Evening,

I'm noticing the same issues with Cox in Warner Robins too. Here are my results for the local area:

Speed Test:

»testmy.net/fuNvVcz.B6AjdXV.png

Ping Test (Atlanta):

»www.pingtest.net/result/79745814.png

Ping Test 2 (Atlanta):

The results drastically change after 6 minutes.

»www.pingtest.net/result/79746054.png

Ping Test (Orlando):

»www.pingtest.net/result/79745850.png

Ping Test (Ashburn):

»www.pingtest.net/result/79745998.png

Ping Test (Dallas):

The results return back to normal.

»www.pingtest.net/result/79746199.png