spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TherapyChick
join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

Pool pump pressure is super high

Weather has been nice lately so thought I'd go check on getting the pool ready for the summer. It's been sitting all winter and is solid green, but friends said it should clear up in a week or so after some maintenance.

So even before I turn on the pump I notice the pressure is sitting at 50, which is high, especially for not doing anything right?

I believe when it would run last season it'd be at I think 25 or 30.

When I turn the pump on it sounds OK and the water is shooting out at what feels like about the same as it was last summer, but the pressure is showing 60 when it's running.

I checked the filter basket thing in the pump and it had a few leaves in it, not much really since it wasn't actually running before, I cleared them out and it's still at 60.

Any suggestions?

I thought maybe the pressure was actually OK but maybe the gauge is just showing wrong? Since it "feels" OK (I'm putting my hand where the water shoots out and it feels about the same, not like triple pressure or whatever), but I'm not sure if that means anything.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

1 recommendation

jack b

MVM

The gauge may have been damaged from freezing during winter. They are pretty delicate inside.
If it's a standard gauge they're not that expensive, as long as you don't buy it at the pool company store.
TherapyChick
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

If it is actually at 50 or 60, would the water be shooting out super fast? And if it's 50 or 60 would it damage the pump to keep running it like that?

It's a 24' above ground circle pool if it matters.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

If it's showing 50 while it's off, you can't trust it to be accurate when it's on. I would get it fixed.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned) to TherapyChick

to TherapyChick
said by TherapyChick:

When I turn the pump on it sounds OK and the water is shooting out at what feels like about the same as it was last summer, but the pressure is showing 60 when it's running.

The gauge is reading about 10 over so the pressures seem normal.

Replace the gauge and you should be good to go.
TherapyChick
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick to jack b

to jack b
So when it's off it should be at zero? (I don't remember from last summer what it used to show when it was off..)
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

Yes, when the pump is off, the system equalizes and the pressure drops to zero. So if the gauge says 50 PSI with the pump off, the gauge is all done for.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to TherapyChick

MVM

to TherapyChick
Gauges should be stored indoors or have all water removed from them.

Freezing with water inside them damages them.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
Clean the filter, shock the pool, clean the filter again after a couple days.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

What filtering medium are you running, diatomaceous earth or sand?

sounds like DE.. algae will clog DE, and your initial run will need purged from the filter.

high backpressure is caused by a clog in the main filter housing. Do NOT run it this way, you can blow a hose and lose half yer pool water in a short amount of time, or you can burn out yer pump..

edit--- 50psi with the pump off is most definitely a bad gauge.

-j

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

I am not 100% sure, but I read it as the gauge reading was 50 psi with the pump off.
TherapyChick
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

said by Cho Baka:

I am not 100% sure, but I read it as the gauge reading was 50 psi with the pump off.

Correct, with the pump OFF, the gauge was showing 50 psi.
TherapyChick

1 edit

TherapyChick to tp0d

to tp0d
This is the pump I have:

»ecx.images-amazon.com/im ··· dnqL.jpg

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· F8&psc=1

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to TherapyChick

MVM

to TherapyChick
Your pressure gage is kaput! There's no way there should be 50# of pressure in the system with the pump off!
TherapyChick
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

So would I just buy this and easy replace?

»www.amazon.com/Super-Pro ··· p_1_BGPY

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

That should be good.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
Is the existing one on your pump back or side mount?
TherapyChick
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

said by John Galt6:

Is the existing one on your pump back or side mount?

The existing pressure gauge is not on the pump itself (pictured above), it's on the big round filter thing that is attached to the pump.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
Ok but what is the filter type? The pump is half the system. the filter is the other half.. a pic would help

DE filters are typically smaller, cylindrical style, where sand filters are typically circular, 20-30" round

-j

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
said by TherapyChick:

The existing pressure gauge is not on the pump itself (pictured above), it's on the big round filter thing that is attached to the pump.

OK. You need to look at the gauge and see if the stem is on the side or the back. Purchase one that is similar to the existing.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
My DE filter when clean will read about 14-15 PSI.

Filter cleaning is typically needed when a filter reading is 10 PSI higher than the reading when clean.
gozer9
Premium Member
join:2010-08-09
Rochester, NY

gozer9 to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
It is easy to replace the gage. One important tip the body it threads into is plastic and the threads are tapered and will split or crack the housing so rape with Teflon tape and screw in to start very little force then fire up the pump and tighten till there's no drip and at that point stop or at most an 1/8 turn more.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to tp0d

to tp0d
said by tp0d:

Ok but what is the filter type? The pump is half the system. the filter is the other half.. a pic would help

DE filters are typically smaller, cylindrical style, where sand filters are typically circular, 20-30" round

-j

This.

If you have a DE system and you ran the pump all the while it was getting nasty you need to clean the filter elements.

It is some work but should be done at least every six months.

You would not believe the crud that will build up on the elements.

When we bought ours we thought the pump was bad because it barely moved our Kreepy Krauly.

Then my Brother in law schooled me on cleaning the DE filter and it made a world of difference.

Dave

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to mityfowl

Premium Member

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

My DE filter when clean will read about 14-15 PSI.

Filter cleaning is typically needed when a filter reading is 10 PSI higher than the reading when clean.

Does it read the 14-15 psi when the pump is off? As that is what the OP is having an issue with. With everything OFF the gauge is showing 50 PSI. Has NOTHING to do with whether or not the filter is clean or dirty.

Pistol Pete
Have Gun-Will Travel
join:2001-03-31
Not on map

Pistol Pete to TherapyChick

to TherapyChick
On my pump it always shows "0" psi when turned off.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
Clogged filter ...

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by guppy_fish:

Clogged filter ...

Will that cause the gauge to show pressure with everything turned off? I have never seen that before.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
Give that pressure gauge a few taps to see if it "zeros" out.

If doesn't zero than it for sure is shot.

I think 50-60 PSI is way too high for any filter but I'm not positive on above ground equipment.

Either way it's time for the OP to take a trip to the pool store to ask some questions and get his water tested.
TimCampbell
Premium Member
join:2001-06-02
Edmonton, AB

TimCampbell to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
easy test of the gauge is to remove the gauge and see if it still reads pressure. With the gauge physically removed, any pressure reading on the gauge means the insides are damaged (from freezing most likely).
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to mityfowl

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

and get his water tested.

I had a buddy who worked in a pool store, he said the "free testing" is the biggest money maker for them. He said basically all you need is chlorine and maybe clarifier if you have a glass bead filter. Ive followed his advice now for 10 years and save a LOAD on chemicals!