telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to FifthE1ement

MVM

to FifthE1ement

Re: Comcast HD Positioning

Well, Comcast is supposed to be moving toward using a standardized, national, "Master Channel Lineup" (MCLU).

See these previous threads about that: »Standardized cable lineups coming soon and »Re: [STB] channels in 1000's cause box reboot

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement

said by telcodad:

Well, Comcast is supposed to be moving toward using a standardized, national, "Master Channel Lineup" (MCLU).

See these previous threads about that: »Standardized cable lineups coming soon and »Re: [STB] channels in 1000's cause box reboot

I would love that but we are now 3 years since that post and nada here in South Florida. However, our channels are pretty standardized between the area. Every city a few years ago would have a different lineup but they are all pretty much the same from city to city.

5th

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Yeah, I don't know what the hold-up is with deploying the MCLU in our areas, but maybe it's because Comcast has their hands full with other current projects now, like the X1 platform roll-out (and bug fixes), completing the Digital Migration in a few remaining areas, finishing-up the deployment of the A30 and S26 guide updates, etc. Or maybe they're just allowing some time to pass since the last (HD) channel realignment (just last August in my area)?

From this post in the Comcast Support Forum »forums.comcast.com/t5/Ch ··· /1424273 here is supposed to be the criteria and phases for deploying the MCLU in an area:
Prior to deploying MCLU, a market must have completed the World of More program and launched the new A28 interactive channel guide. To minimize customer impact, the MCLU will be deployed in phases.

Phase 1: New HD Channel Lineup

1. New and Existing HD content moved to 1000s
2. Existing HD content dual illuminated [i.e., double channel-mapped]
3. No change to channels 1-999
4. 4 Digit channels introduced

Phase 2: New Standard Digital Channel Lineup

1. SD Channels 100-999 realigned into Genre based locations
2. HD channels no longer dual illuminated
3. International channels are realigned in 2000s
4. No change to channels 1-99

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement

We already have the world of more. I want the world of common sense! Lol, who can remember 500 different channel assignments? Like I said HD and SD channel numbers are so far from different and most of the time the HD indicator doesn't work so those who don't know the HD channels never view real HD content. Where I live everyone in my building watches the SD channels as they don't know how to use the guide and they are used to using 1-100 channels (older group of people). It has to be something simple like HBO SD being 300 and HBO HD being 1300. If that happens as you said that would be awesome. But who know when and if it ever will happen.

5th

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

Screw dual map. Auto HD baby!

Love me some DirecTV. Type in a "10", hey look its NBC WCAU 10 in HD! Wow who would of thought! No more fighting with the wife or inlaws when they visit. Everyone watching crystal clear HD which I'm paying so much for. So glad for Auto HD or single map systems.
mariod
join:2009-06-16

mariod

If you can't figure out you're not watching in HD, I don't want comcast wasting money to hold your hand.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

there are people like my fiancé and my family who have NO IDEA how to tune an hd channel. I have to continually show them how to.
mariod
join:2009-06-16

mariod

So then they get to watch their tv in SD.

If they can't take the initiative to learn, it obviously doesn't matter to them. Comcast shouldn't be expending resources to hold their hand.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

there are people like my fiancé and my family who have NO IDEA how to tune an hd channel. I have to continually show them how to.

ummmmm put the channel just like a sd channel.

theres nothing different,

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

They put in 009 instead of 809 for the local news station. I have to put 809 in for them. It gets frustrating.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Make certain the cable box is set to send SD as 480i, and set the TV to keep 480i as 4:3 (most TV's seem to have separate ZOOM modes depending on the resolution). Then it will be more obvious.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to cypherstream

to cypherstream
This is why I love my Moxi and TiVo's I can just "uncheck" the SD version of the channels and "uncheck" channels I don't subscribe to. It's so good I've reached a new level of everlasting joy.

Wolf
@rogers.com

Wolf

Anon

There was a time when you wouldn't necessarily want to go to the HD channel automatically. I remember at one point early on having issues with HD channels "breaking up" while the non-HD version would come in fine (this may also have been related to the all-digital move).

Hasn't happened in a while though, my HD's have been coming in well since then so I don't even look at the SD versions any more (no reason to). Just created a Favorites list containing HD versions only where available & the SD's when not. That pop-up reminder seems like a good compromise to remind the viewer that an HD version is available.
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459 to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

Yeah, I don't know what the hold-up is with deploying the MCLU in our areas, but maybe it's because Comcast has their hands full with other current projects now, like the X1 platform roll-out (and bug fixes), completing the Digital Migration in a few remaining areas, finishing-up the deployment of the A30 and S26 guide updates, etc. Or maybe they're just allowing some time to pass since the last (HD) channel realignment (just last August in my area)?

From this post in the Comcast Support Forum »forums.comcast.com/t5/Ch ··· /1424273 here is supposed to be the criteria and phases for deploying the MCLU in an area:

Prior to deploying MCLU, a market must have completed the World of More program and launched the new A28 interactive channel guide.

That definitely applies to Northern California, yet there's been no movement on the new 1000's mapping. I'd to know why Comcast seems to have halted the MCLU rollout.

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr to gar187er

Anon

to gar187er
said by gar187er:

said by mikedz4:

ummmmm put the channel just like a sd channel.

theres nothing different,

or put SD channel in then press OK/select 3 times. if there is a mapped HD version it gets switched to, if not stay it stays on current channel.

At least in our system this does it.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Wolf

to Wolf
If this is what you mean, »info.xfinity.com/Comcast ··· tbar.jpg or »www.rtconline.com/tv1/im ··· W3HD.jpg I don't think there is a pop up notification/reminder on the S26 software guide on the Cisco/SA boxes. All we have is this »info.xfinity.com/Comcast ··· menu.jpg
SpHeRe31459
Premium Member
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA

SpHeRe31459

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

If this is what you mean, »info.xfinity.com/Comcast ··· tbar.jpg or »www.rtconline.com/tv1/im ··· W3HD.jpg I don't think there is a pop up notification/reminder on the S26 software guide on the Cisco/SA boxes. All we have is this »info.xfinity.com/Comcast ··· menu.jpg

Yeah this was confirmed a little while ago in this thread: »Re: DVR Extender w/Moto Boxes
I dunno why the SA port of i-Guide skips features like that and AnyRoom DVR capabilities. I guess that's why the version number is S26 which is less than A28 when Moto users got those features, so I gather Comcast is trying to convey that it's is indeed close but not quite the same level.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Meh, I think Anyroom DVR service was brought to the SA markets with S26 but since its an added charge I dunno how popular it would be. What's cool is that it uses MoCA which seems to have become a new hobby of mine.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

That first screen shot looks gorgeous. Why don't they make it look that crisp everywhere?

Cisco can auto map HD. All the providers that do it have Cisco/SA. Though there is a version of Passport that runs on Motorola that does have an Auto HD option.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

The first screenshot was from the Guide 2.0 software. On-Screen Guide 2.0 was a short-term bridge for Comcast to deliver AnyRoom DVR and an improved experience to some limited Cisco markets while the X1 Experience was getting ready for wide deployment. Comcast doesn't have any additional areas where they will be moving ahead with On-Screen Guide 2.0. That guide will continue to be supported in the areas where it is deployed until they deliver those areas the X1 Experience.

Regarding the auto map suggestion, that would need to be decided upon by Comcast but since Comcast wants both the Cisco/SA and Motorola markets to function identically, they would need to figure out how to enable it for both brands. It's fully possible this could be a new feature introduced in the X1 software rollout in the future.