uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Jan Janowski

to Jan Janowski

Re: Windows 8 Blamed for Biggest PC Shipment Plunge Ever

said by Jan Janowski:

Over and Above the OS issues.... If you consider the other hardware that was not supported by new laptops.... ESATA, Firewire, Express Slots....

What? No support for eSATA, Firewire and Express Card/PCMCIA slot?!? That would be rather interesting....

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Most certainly it CAN be an issue when I couldn't boot to safe mode and booted only to a black screen dozens of times and had to force cycle my system. That is bad for hard drives, right?

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

It sounds like it could be a hybrid shutdown issue.

I personally disabled that feature on the few systems I've installed Windows 8 on. I don't really see the point of it.

If this is the case I believe it's easily avoided,.....again by disabling it.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

I've posted an account of my experience in the HH forum, I apologize but I don't want to retype it. It starts with a defective video card and then spirals downward...

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by signmeuptoo94:

I've posted an account of my experience in the HH forum, I apologize but I don't want to retype it. It starts with a defective video card and then spirals downward...

I read the first page of your HH thread but it will take a while before I can get through all 4 pages. I'll reframe from commenting on the matter until I get through it.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Bless you!

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Octavean

to Octavean
It's possible for a Win8 install to get royally messed up for various reasons and get into an endless reboot-repair cycle -- been there, done that. (have about half a dozen SSDs that were doing just that)

However, it is much more difficult (nigh impossible) to actually damage the HW on modern HD in a short amount of time. Moving parts can be worn out or platters can get scratched, but those are whole different ballgames.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

The worst thing that can happen is a bad right in the file allocation table, or whatever they call it anymore. Nothing like a tons of files losing their marked locations on the disk. I've seen a hdd after it happened, crash, bad write, whatever it was if it lands in the wrong place it can toast the os. The os was unbootable, and after running a disk utility on another computer I was able to restore it, but key files were missing.

Seen the endless reboot with Win 8 also after their new ntfs was not tolerant to older windows operating systems accessing it when this was not a problem for other windows operating systems sharing the same partitions. The previous windows os removed the Win 8 ntfs permissions, and it was unable to boot, even be restored via it's own restore. The older windows os didn't do anything wrong either, it did what it was supposed to do. The new ntfs is a piece of crap, and Microsoft knew they can't play well together.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

I think some of the issues may have to do something with the new GPT style partitions that are standard on certain devices. (i.e. Surfaces)

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

All Windows 8 with UEFI I believe are GPT, regardless of platform, hardware etc.

I tried to discuss it but the title may have thrown the topic off:
»Win 8 back to Win 7

win_95
@comcast.net

win_95 to markofmayhem

Anon

to markofmayhem
said by markofmayhem:

just like we in 2012 consider Windows 95 to be a success when in fact it was "Microsoft's Disaster" of it's day.

Not disputing your Win8/Xbox/phone/tablet integration arguments and don't mean to nitpick, but come on now, how was the Windows 95 launch (or the OS itself) a disaster?!

I remember it fairly clear still: it was an insanely huge event and a giant success for Microsoft. There was electricity in the air leading up to the release of Windows 95. At the midnight releases there were people lined up for blocks to buy it. I don't think there's been a Windows version since then which has captured any of that excitement level. I think it was a bigger event than any of the iDevice releases.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by win_95 :

said by markofmayhem:

just like we in 2012 consider Windows 95 to be a success when in fact it was "Microsoft's Disaster" of it's day.

Not disputing your Win8/Xbox/phone/tablet integration arguments and don't mean to nitpick, but come on now, how was the Windows 95 launch (or the OS itself) a disaster?!

I remember it fairly clear still: it was an insanely huge event and a giant success for Microsoft. There was electricity in the air leading up to the release of Windows 95. At the midnight releases there were people lined up for blocks to buy it. I don't think there's been a Windows version since then which has captured any of that excitement level. I think it was a bigger event than any of the iDevice releases.

And the media tore Windows 95 apart up until those events occurred. Every release of Windows, since 95, is going to be "doom to Microsoft". Meh, others say it better than I can:

»www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· oom.html