how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

uclamathguy

join:2004-07-19
93012/90024

Questions for DSL Newbie Considering Sonic

I am moving to the Bay Area in a few weeks, and for the time being I have chosen Comcast until I get settled, since I am not familiar with DSL and need cable anyway.

In the meantime, I want to get some information so I can hopefully switch to Sonic soon. I will live between 3000 and 4500 feet to the CO (using address and a fax line give different results). I am not behind a remote terminal.

1. What is required for dual-bonded Fusion service? How do I know if I qualify? [AT&T claims I can only have one "line" since we are wired for UVerse and can only have one Uverse connection... which didn't answer my question]

2. I live in an apartment building, and it seems the only free option is to set up the wiring myself... but how the heck would I do that without access to the telco box?

3. If I rent the modem from Sonic, can I still use my own router behind it? Does the modem itself block traffic or can I still use my router for that?

4. Can I run a personal server with this setup?

5. I will have the 50Mbps package with Comcast (apparently a DOCSIS 3.0 area). Is the 25Mbps+ drop from Comcast to Sonic worth it and/or a big deal? [Cable speeds seem more volatile with DSL depending more on distance]

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1. AFAIK, as long as there are enough pairs available to service the premises, you should be able to get the bonded service. If you deal direct with Sonic.net (don't talk with AT&T), they should know.

2. I don't know. I am in an apartment, and just let Sonic.net handle the setup. I started from scratch; no prior service with AT&T.

3. Yes. I was issued the Pace 4111N-030, which is a residential gateway with wireless, four LAN ports, and firewall.

4. Servers are allowed on static plans. I have a /32 (single static IP address) which is free.

5. I haven't seen a lot of complaints about Comcast in the Bay Area. If you need the speed, Comcast is your best bet (unless you are moving to a facility served by Paxio, which offers FTTH in some areas). But you would need a business plan to run a server on Comcast. But your distance, if accurate, should be good for 12 Mbps to 15 Mbps with a single pair, and double with bonded pair. Sonic.net offers static IP addresses, 1 is free, 4 is $10 extra and 8 is $20 extra. Sonic.net blocks port 25 in both direction for their dynamic IP service (as does Comcast, now, on residential service). But with a Sonic.net static IP service, port 25 is not blocked, and you can control the reverse name. You would need the business plan with Comcast for port 25 access.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to uclamathguy

1.Uverse is a marketing term and is completely meaningless when applied to actual service delivery to your home (which can take a variety of forms). Some "single" uverse installations are delivered over two pairs of copper wire. While it is certainly possible that the current phone wiring from your apartment to the MPOE of your complex is a single pair cable, it is far more likely that it is a 2 (or even 4) pair cable.
In order for you to get bonded Fusion service you need 2 pairs from your apartment all the way to the telco CO.

2. Self install is fine if the pair or pairs are already arriving in your unit. Most apartment complexes will not allow tenants to access the MPOE and therefore professional install is most likely required.

3A. Yes, you can use a router behind the modem.
3B. Or you can use the "modem" (which is actually a broadband router) to be your firewall. For bonded Fusion the CPE would be a Comtrend Nexuslink 5631 or a ZyXel P-663HN-51.

4. Definitely yes. Be sure to sign up for at least one static IP address (I believe those are free now) if you want to run a server.

5. If this is a residential Comcast package then running your own server is at least a violation of the ToS and some ports may actually be blocked. Sonic does allow you to run your own servers, so this alone might be a worthwhile reason to go with Sonic. If download speed is your primary concern the Comcast offerings are hard to beat.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

badtrip
I heart the East Bay
Premium
join:2004-03-20
Albany, CA
reply to uclamathguy

As a Sonic customer for 4 years, I recommend that you just stick with Comcast. Currently, Sonic is too expensive for the speeds given Comcast upped their service speeds in the bay area and Sonic's customer support isn't what it used to be, unfortunately.

I, personally have Sonic's older 30Mbps service and pay $80/mo. The fastest I see in reality is 24Mbps, which I believe is a upper limit to bonded DSL. Upload speeds on Sonic bonded DSL are pathetic, I'm lucky to get 1Mbps.

I'm switching back to Comcast. For the first 6 months 50Mbps is $50 and then goes to $75 after that. I'll prolly end up paying a couple bucks more per month for Comcast after the 6 month "deal" but my downstream speed will more than double.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

Actually, there is a tradeoff. Comcast residential service prohibits running servers, and is blocking port 25. And may reinstate data caps. Comcast business has static IP addresses, and port 25 access, and no caps, but is roughly double the cost of residential service.

For speed, Comcast would be the way to go, though.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

xan_user

join:2004-11-18
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to uclamathguy

"What is required for dual-bonded Fusion service?"

$90 (close to $110 with fees and rentals) a month, and a $150 service call for the install.

the value just isnt there anymore, unless you need to run a server, or need port 25...

sonic, can we please have the $70/month dual line fusion with no modem rental and a self install back? (or phone lines/taxes)