share rss forum feed

Fishead1
Premium
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[WIN7] Wheres the mail?

Ok I'm new to Windows 7 and although a lot is familiar just laid out differently I'm trying to locate the e-mail client.
I know they did away with Outlook Express(at least I think so) but where is the e-mail client located?Under what program?
And do any of you use a different e-mail client then whats supplied with Windows 7?

Micha3615

join:2004-08-21
Mississauga, ON

Outlook express was removed and windows mail is the replacement:
Open Windows Mail by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Mail

Fishead1
Premium
Bronx, NY

Sorry but I don't see Windows mail.Can I use a third party program?

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

Yes, you can use a third party program.

Or, you can use Windows Live Mail from Microsoft.

»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···ows-mail

amazingm
Premium
join:2001-07-16
USA
reply to Fishead1

Yes. I use Thunderbird with Windows 7, but you're free to use whichever you prefer.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Micha3615

said by Micha3615:

Outlook express was removed and windows mail is the replacement:
Open Windows Mail by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Mail

Only for Windows Vista. Windows 7, out of the retail box from Microsoft, has no client. While some OEM computers include Windows Live Mail, along with the usual OEM crud, it is not a part of the MS Windows 7 retail version.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2
reply to Fishead1

I use SeaMonkey which is a browser and mail/news reader combination program. It is Mozilla based, like Thunderbird and Firefox the separate mail and browser programs.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to Fishead1

Also +1 for Thunderbird

Fishead1
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to Fishead1

Yeah I had to download the Windows E-Mail client.I don't particularly like it.Just a matter of being so use to Outlook Express or Thunderbird.
To many settings to go thru to set it up the way I like.It will take time to get use to.

La Luna
Survived Ashraful
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to Fishead1

I use Windows Live Mail on Windows 7. Works very nicely.

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
·AT&T Midwest
reply to gwalk

said by gwalk:

Also +1 for Thunderbird

Plus 2 for Thunderbird
--
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
reply to Fishead1

Windows Live Mail is quite powerful for the price as is Thunderbird. Both are great products.

Fishead1
Premium
Bronx, NY

Its just a matter of using something for so long and having it set up just the way you like and then changing to something new.It takes getting use to.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL

said by Fishead1:

Its just a matter of using something for so long and having it set up just the way you like and then changing to something new.It takes getting use to.

Well, you did say this a few posts up

said by Fishead1:

Just a matter of being so use to Outlook Express or Thunderbird.
To many settings to go thru to set it up the way I like.It will take time to get use to.

Since you did mention Thunderbird, why not just re-download that and install it again on your Windows 7 system? Since you apparently have used it before, you should have no problems using it again.

Not to mention, if you still have your old system (assuming you did not do an upgrade from that to Windows 7), you can easily copy your existing Thunderbird Profile from that system to your new one, and be up and running in no time flat. For specific steps on that, let me know and I can help walk you through that. I've been using Thunderbird for at least 4 years now, and I love it.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Fishead1
Premium
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Didn't really care for Thunderbird.I used Thunderbird when I had issues with Outlook Express(locking up)but that was on an old PC.My PC that I'm on now is relatively new, 2/3 years old.
Don't think I have Thunderbird on my old system.Might have but I had done a reinstall of Windows XP and had Outlook Express running on ok for quiet a while.No problems there.

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
reply to Fishead1

Thunderbird +++++++

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:4
reply to Fishead1

A main reason to buy the Pro version of Win 7 is so you get XP Pro in Win 7 and then you can just keep using OE and easily import all your mail from OE on your old computer.

Thunderbird is ok but if you have a dslr.net email account you cannot set up Thunderbird for it nor can you use SeaMonkey mail with it. You have to use Opera mail which instantly and automatically sets up dslr.net mail. Thunderbird and SeaMonkey have always been extremely lacking (going back to when Thunderbird first came out) when it comes to dslr mail, but you could get it set up...now you cannot (at least not on Win 8).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by Mele20:

A main reason to buy the Pro version of Win 7 is so you get XP Pro in Win 7 and then you can just keep using OE and easily import all your mail from OE on your old computer.

Isn't that $299 for the retail box? Why not just buy the Office suite?

Thunderbird is ok but if you have a dslr.net email account you cannot set up Thunderbird for it nor can you use SeaMonkey mail with it. You have to use Opera mail which instantly and automatically sets up dslr.net mail. Thunderbird and SeaMonkey have always been extremely lacking (going back to when Thunderbird first came out) when it comes to dslr mail, but you could get it set up...now you cannot (at least not on Win 8).

I can't sign up a 'dslr.net' account at this time; they are at their 2200 limit. But how can you not set up a POP3 account with Thunderbird, and how does Windows 8 affect setting up a POP3 client? Or are you one who has to blindly let the client auto configure?

When I set up my 'pacbell.net' account in Thunderbird, it wants to auto configure as POP3, using 'pop.pacbell.net'. That will not work; Pacific Bell never used, 'pop.pacbell.net' (and the current proper setting is, 'pop.att.yahoo.com'). When the auto configure doesn't get it right, you just use the manual override.
--
Norman

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Outlook Express is not part of Office. Plus, Outlook is now cloud based and there are no Identities (never have been).

I'm going to start a thread (again) in the dormant mail forum about the password rejection issue. We are OT in this thread. Follow me there. Besides the Thunderbird/SeaMonkey mail issue, I picked up something weird looking in my mail account control panel just now. Plus, what do you mean you can't open a mail account here? It is not anywhere near full!
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 edit

said by Mele20:

Outlook Express is not part of Office. Plus, Outlook is now cloud based and there are no Identities (never have been).

Nor did I say it was. But the price for Windows 7 Pro, just for MSOEX is more than steep, it is exorbitant!

BTW, MS Outlook 2013 does not appear to be a cloud app:

»office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/

Microsoft keeps trying to reinvent Hotmail; first was, "Windows Live Mail", then came, "Windows Live Hotmail" (due to confusion caused by the "Windows Live Mail desktop" PC application), and now, "outlook.com" (which, obviously, gets confused with MS Outlook yyyy).

I'm going to start a thread (again) in the dormant mail forum about the password rejection issue.

Without a link, guess I won't be following you; I certainly can't find a "dormant mail forum".

»DSLR Mail »Is it available to me?

Full!

--
Norman

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
reply to Fishead1

Good luck getting help when you run into problems with Thunderbird. I had a problem, went to the support forum looking for help, and was told not to keep messages in my inbox.
--
The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year!

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to NormanS

»[mail] Over limit?

It's not really a dormant forum....but inactive so it's in the All Forums list.

My administrative mail panel says:

Beta test status: 1088 active members (1638 aliases) out of 2200 max

Maybe all those others (to make a total of 2200) are inactive for a long time now and need to purged...or maybe that FAQ needs to be updated...it's ancient.

If you really want one ask in my thread or start a thread there or ask in Site Help forum since very few read the Beta Mail forum.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to vaxvms

Outlook Express always warned to not keep messages in the Inbox because that can lead to corruption and I recall Thunderbird years ago saying the same thing. I didn't use it then for years and didn't know that they still recommend moving messages to their own created folders rather than leaving them in the In box.

I just figured out, finally, that the problem with the dslr mail password being rejected by Thunderbird is because I used my permanent dslr mail alias address when setting up Thunderbird. That works fine with Outlook Express but doesn't with Thunderbird or Opera. The password for the permanent alias is the same as the main dslr mail account so I have no idea why the dslr mail server rejects the password. That's one of the things I asked in the thread I have started in the Beta mail forum. The link is in my reply to NormanS See Profile "Over limit?" if you want to follow it...although that forum sometimes never gets any replies to threads.
--

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Actually, not all versions of Outlook are cloud-based! If you buy the office suite, you get a version of Outlook that installs on your computer and it can be used as a mail client for an email address you would like including non-Microsoft ones. I use it all the time with great success. Definitely a better choice to buy office entered by the Pro version of Windows, just to get Outlook Express, which is much inferior to the standard Outlook package.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

Outlook is quite inferior for anyone who has more than one mail addresse and wants separate Identities. It is horrible having all mail come into one box all jumbled up. Thunderbird is far superior to Outlook (and is free) as it has Multiple Identities just like Outlook Express. My ISP provides 25 free email addresses to me and I have others like dslr mail too so I require an email client with the ability to let me set up separate Identities for each email address.
--

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Where do you get that? I don't have a DSLR.net email aacount but Thunderbird work with all Mail Servers. You may have to do a Manual setup as TB more then likely doesn't have DSLR's email server addresses built in. But that has no affect on setting it up.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
reply to Mele20

To add what Mele20 See Profile has said about keeping messages in the inbox, that only applies if you have thousands of e-mails in your inbox. If you just keep a small amount (50-100 for example), you will be fine.

While I don't know the exact reason for the inbox to become corrupted, I know it does happen on a lot of e-mail clients including Lotus Notes, Outlook, Thunderbird, and Eudora. My thought of reason is along the same lines as you don't want to put thousands of files in the root of your C drive. Your computer runs better when things are in folders off of the root. So, your inbox is like the "root" of your mail structure.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Outlook is quite inferior for anyone who has more than one mail addresse and wants separate Identities. It is horrible having all mail come into one box all jumbled up. Thunderbird is far superior to Outlook (and is free) as it has Multiple Identities just like Outlook Express. My ISP provides 25 free email addresses to me and I have others like dslr mail too so I require an email client with the ability to let me set up separate Identities for each email address.

I'm not quite sure how the installations of Outlook you have used were configured, but you certainly don't have to have all the mail come into one mailbox. I have 6 different accounts running under one Outlook installation, each one of them has its own inbox, outbox, trash folders, etc. Nothing is stored or received in the "Outlook" folder. When writing a new message, you can choose what account to send it from with a click of a button. I've never seen anything easier to use!

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

You are describing an IMAP account; or possibly some special way of configuring OL in conjunction with an Exchange server? Multiple POP3 accounts, even in OEXP, feed into a global Inbox.

I prefer IMAP, personally, but Mele20 See Profile is fundamentally opposed to keeping her email "in the cloud".
--
Norman

fxtr
Premium
join:2002-09-15
Reston, VA
reply to Msradell

+1 I have Hotmail, GMail, Verizon.com, and Outlook.com all in separate mail boxes. When you set up a new account there is an option to select the mail box(s) you want the mail to go to. Some people do prefer that all their mail lands in one box