ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to Fishead1

Premium Member

to Fishead1

Re: [WIN7] Wheres the mail?

Good luck getting help when you run into problems with Thunderbird. I had a problem, went to the support forum looking for help, and was told not to keep messages in my inbox.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
»[mail] Over limit?

It's not really a dormant forum....but inactive so it's in the All Forums list.

My administrative mail panel says:

Beta test status: 1088 active members (1638 aliases) out of 2200 max

Maybe all those others (to make a total of 2200) are inactive for a long time now and need to purged...or maybe that FAQ needs to be updated...it's ancient.

If you really want one ask in my thread or start a thread there or ask in Site Help forum since very few read the Beta Mail forum.
Mele20

Mele20 to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
Outlook Express always warned to not keep messages in the Inbox because that can lead to corruption and I recall Thunderbird years ago saying the same thing. I didn't use it then for years and didn't know that they still recommend moving messages to their own created folders rather than leaving them in the In box.

I just figured out, finally, that the problem with the dslr mail password being rejected by Thunderbird is because I used my permanent dslr mail alias address when setting up Thunderbird. That works fine with Outlook Express but doesn't with Thunderbird or Opera. The password for the permanent alias is the same as the main dslr mail account so I have no idea why the dslr mail server rejects the password. That's one of the things I asked in the thread I have started in the Beta mail forum. The link is in my reply to NormanS See Profile "Over limit?" if you want to follow it...although that forum sometimes never gets any replies to threads.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Outlook Express is not part of Office. Plus, Outlook is now cloud based and there are no Identities (never have been).

Actually, not all versions of Outlook are cloud-based! If you buy the office suite, you get a version of Outlook that installs on your computer and it can be used as a mail client for an email address you would like including non-Microsoft ones. I use it all the time with great success. Definitely a better choice to buy office entered by the Pro version of Windows, just to get Outlook Express, which is much inferior to the standard Outlook package.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Outlook is quite inferior for anyone who has more than one mail addresse and wants separate Identities. It is horrible having all mail come into one box all jumbled up. Thunderbird is far superior to Outlook (and is free) as it has Multiple Identities just like Outlook Express. My ISP provides 25 free email addresses to me and I have others like dslr mail too so I require an email client with the ability to let me set up separate Identities for each email address.
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Thunderbird is ok but if you have a dslr.net email account you cannot set up Thunderbird for it nor can you use SeaMonkey mail with it. You have to use Opera mail which instantly and automatically sets up dslr.net mail. Thunderbird and SeaMonkey have always been extremely lacking (going back to when Thunderbird first came out) when it comes to dslr mail, but you could get it set up...now you cannot (at least not on Win 8).

Where do you get that? I don't have a DSLR.net email aacount but Thunderbird work with all Mail Servers. You may have to do a Manual setup as TB more then likely doesn't have DSLR's email server addresses built in. But that has no affect on setting it up.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
To add what Mele20 See Profile has said about keeping messages in the inbox, that only applies if you have thousands of e-mails in your inbox. If you just keep a small amount (50-100 for example), you will be fine.

While I don't know the exact reason for the inbox to become corrupted, I know it does happen on a lot of e-mail clients including Lotus Notes, Outlook, Thunderbird, and Eudora. My thought of reason is along the same lines as you don't want to put thousands of files in the root of your C drive. Your computer runs better when things are in folders off of the root. So, your inbox is like the "root" of your mail structure.

--Brian

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Outlook is quite inferior for anyone who has more than one mail addresse and wants separate Identities. It is horrible having all mail come into one box all jumbled up. Thunderbird is far superior to Outlook (and is free) as it has Multiple Identities just like Outlook Express. My ISP provides 25 free email addresses to me and I have others like dslr mail too so I require an email client with the ability to let me set up separate Identities for each email address.

I'm not quite sure how the installations of Outlook you have used were configured, but you certainly don't have to have all the mail come into one mailbox. I have 6 different accounts running under one Outlook installation, each one of them has its own inbox, outbox, trash folders, etc. Nothing is stored or received in the "Outlook" folder. When writing a new message, you can choose what account to send it from with a click of a button. I've never seen anything easier to use!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

You are describing an IMAP account; or possibly some special way of configuring OL in conjunction with an Exchange server? Multiple POP3 accounts, even in OEXP, feed into a global Inbox.

I prefer IMAP, personally, but Mele20 See Profile is fundamentally opposed to keeping her email "in the cloud".

fxtr
Premium Member
join:2002-09-15
Reston, VA

fxtr to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell
+1 I have Hotmail, GMail, Verizon.com, and Outlook.com all in separate mail boxes. When you set up a new account there is an option to select the mail box(s) you want the mail to go to. Some people do prefer that all their mail lands in one box

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Msradell to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

You are describing an IMAP account; or possibly some special way of configuring OL in conjunction with an Exchange server? Multiple POP3 accounts, even in OEXP, feed into a global Inbox.

I prefer IMAP, personally, but Mele20 See Profile is fundamentally opposed to keeping her email "in the cloud".

While most of mine are indeed IMAP accounts, a couple of them are POP3 accounts and their mail still goes into a separate inbox!

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to fxtr

Premium Member

to fxtr
said by fxtr:

+1 I have Hotmail, GMail, Verizon.com, and Outlook.com all in separate mail boxes. When you set up a new account there is an option to select the mail box(s) you want the mail to go to. Some people do prefer that all their mail lands in one box

+2

And you can even set up Outlook so that mail from separate accounts goes into separate .PST data files.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

Multiple POP3 accounts do not feed into a global Inbox UNLESS you don't how how to set up Identities to avoid that. Most people do it the way you have described but that is because they don't realize (or maybe don't care) that it doesn't have to be that way. Thunderbird is exactly the same as OE as far as setting up Identities. You can do it like you describe but you can do it differently also.

When you set up either correctly, if you have 6 POP accounts 4 with your ISP, dslr mail, and another one like Safe-Mail, Hotmail (used to but not now I don't think) you set up EACH ACCOUNT completely separate from the others. So, you use the Mail setup Wizard, or do it manually, SIX TIMES. You then have Multiple Identities each completely separate from the others. Most folks don't know to do this so they set up one POP3 account that defaults as the Master account and and then the OTHER Identities they set up are children of the Master account....yes each child has a different address but all mail for all accounts comes into the Master account Inbox and then can be directed to the separate accounts using mail rules. All outgoing messages default to be sent by the Master account but if you remember to open the drop down list before sending the mail you can choose a different account to send from.

Setting up completely discrete separate Identities is much better. The first account set up OE and Thunderbird call it Main Account (something like that) but it is not like the Main/Master Account when set in the first way. The Inbox for each Identity has ONLY its own mail and sent mail goes into that Identities Sent box not into a global box based off the Main Identity. Each Identity has its OWN EMAIL ADDRESS AND ITS OWN PASSWORD. Even set up this way one can switch among the Identities quickly especially if using OETool which is a fantastic small, free program from a Microsoft MVP who specializes in OE.

When you start OE each time, and you have set it up for your passwords to be automatically remembered by OE, OE will open to the last Identity you used before closing OE and new mail will have been automatically fetched. If that is not the Identity you want, you just click on Oe's Multiple Identities icon or on the OETool Identities icon and you get a drop down list of all Identities. You click on the one you want and, since you told OE to remember all the passwords, you are taken to it immediately, seamlessly, and all new mail is there.

Setting up Multiple Identities as I like to do (I've done the other way also but it is quite inferior I think to the second way) Microsoft says (I suppose Mozilla too since Thunderbird is the same) was intended so that multiple users on the same computer could have their own discrete email. But I like using it set up this way when I am the only user as it is a MUCH cleaner setup. The first way is sort of what Opera does today and it drives me nuts.

As for the dslrmail problem in Thunderbird setup that is because I used my permanent alias for dslrmail and that doesn't work but I don't know why. It works on OE.
Mele20

Mele20 to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

I'm not quite sure how the installations of Outlook you have used were configured, but you certainly don't have to have all the mail come into one mailbox. I have 6 different accounts running under one Outlook installation, each one of them has its own inbox, outbox, trash folders, etc. Nothing is stored or received in the "Outlook" folder. When writing a new message, you can choose what account to send it from with a click of a button. I've never seen anything easier to use!

That is NOT easier or more secure. That is partly why I won't use Outlook. I've had Outlook and mail is quite inferior in it compared to OE with OETool. (Plus,you cannot set up News Groups in Outlook and ListServs get all messed up there too). You have only one password and have to set up rules to direct mail to each account and have to remember each time to choose what account to send from. I hated having to set up all those rules and about 50% of the time, I forgot to choose which account to send from and that makes for a mess....the receiver thinks spam was sent because they don't recognize the sender (I use false names for all accounts and my regular correspondents know this but they don't know the false name from an account I don't usually use with them), if they do read it anyway then they reply to that account and then it comes into the wrong account's inbox...it's an easily avoidable mess if you sent up discrete Identities instead.

I had myrealbox and Hotmail set up to come in as separate identities in OE. If you can remember 100% of the time to choose EACH TIME which account to send from then I guess that would work OK. But if I forgot just ONE time and someone got an email address I did not intend for them to have and I then had to delete that address and notify all those in that account's address book....well right there, OE with correctly set up Identities is worth it! Plus, you can't protect each identity with a separate password set up the way you are doing it.

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

That is NOT easier or more secure. That is partly why I won't use Outlook. I've had Outlook and mail is quite inferior in it compared to OE with OETool. (Plus,you cannot set up News Groups in Outlook and ListServs get all messed up there too). You have only one password and have to set up rules to direct mail to each account and have to remember each time to choose what account to send from. I hated having to set up all those rules and about 50% of the time, I forgot to choose which account to send from and that makes for a mess....the receiver thinks spam was sent because they don't recognize the sender (I use false names for all accounts and my regular correspondents know this but they don't know the false name from an account I don't usually use with them), if they do read it anyway then they reply to that account and then it comes into the wrong account's inbox...it's an easily avoidable mess if you sent up discrete Identities instead.

Again, I'm not sure how you configured your installation but what you are describing is not even close to how mine is configured. I have 6 accounts and in the mail for each account goes into its own inbox. I have no rules that tells the mail where to go, it just goes into the account it was sent to automatically. When I send mail is sent from whatever account I am in when I send it. I can use the pulldown selection box if I wanted to be sent from another account, but by default it's sent from the account I'm in when I send it.

Obviously, it can be set up to perform how you want it to! I can also have a single password or multiple ones, my choice.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Multiple POP3 accounts do not feed into a global Inbox UNLESS you don't how how to set up Identities to avoid that.

The global Inbox is the default behavior for most stand alone email clients.

Setting up completely discrete separate Identities is much better.

I found it to be ... clunky.

Setting up Multiple Identities as I like to do (I've done the other way also but it is quite inferior I think to the second way) Microsoft says (I suppose Mozilla too since Thunderbird is the same) was intended so that multiple users on the same computer could have their own discrete email.

That was for multiple users on a single user OS. But Windows XP is a multiple user OS.

The first way is sort of what Opera does today and it drives me nuts.

I can't vouch for how Opera configures POP3 accounts. As a fan of Dr. Jerry Pournelle's "One user, many computers" philosophy, I prefer IMAP so I can get my email on all computers.

As for the dslrmail problem in Thunderbird setup that is because I used my permanent alias for dslrmail and that doesn't work but I don't know why. It works on OE.

Using a Yahoo! Profile ID works for me in Thunderbird; and it isn't even a valid RFC 822 email address!
NormanS

NormanS to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Plus, you can't protect each identity with a separate password set up the way you are doing it.

I find it very easy to defeat that OEXP "security" measure. More secure would be to properly set up multiple, password protected, Limited User accounts. Then you can lock other user's from accessing your file space.

Basically, once I find your OEXP message store, I can import your .dbx files into my OEXP Identity without a password. Under a single user paradigm, all users have access to all files with the same access privilege of the file system.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

Again, I'm not sure how you configured your installation but what you are describing is not even close to how mine is configured. I have 6 accounts and in the mail for each account goes into its own inbox. I have no rules that tells the mail where to go, it just goes into the account it was sent to automatically. When I send mail is sent from whatever account I am in when I send it. I can use the pulldown selection box if I wanted to be sent from another account, but by default it's sent from the account I'm in when I send it.

Obviously, it can be set up to perform how you want it to! I can also have a single password or multiple ones, my choice.

Maybe it has changed since I had Outlook. I did the 6 month public beta of of Office 2007. That is the last time I tried Outlook. I won't use Office past Office XP because I hate the ribbon. I know that since the 2007 beta that some third parties came out with PAID fixes for the stupid, clunky ribbon but there was none during the beta. The ribbon made it almost impossible to get anything done. Same with Word. I have 3 copies of Word 2002. Since it won't run on Windows 8, I moved to Open Office. Microsoft is really dumb. They could have made the ribbon optional just as they could have made Metro in Windows 8 on a desktop computer optional. But they don't rational things....so the users vote with the pocketbooks. I will use Open Office and Thunderbird. And Microsoft will continue to go downhill.
Mele20

Mele20 to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
Why would I allow other users on my PERSONAL computer? That doesn't make sense. No OS since 98SE makes sense. A computer is extremely personal...you don't allow others to use your toothbrush or wear your clothes, etc. Everyone should have their own computer or use a public one.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

A computer is extremely personal... use a public one.

?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Gee...why did you take my comment out of context? Not a very nice thing to do and if you would like a reply to your "?" then fix your post so it correctly reflects what I said. Of course, if you do that, the answer is there in my comment. However, if you had trouble understanding my comment then ask properly and I will try to further explain.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan to Fishead1

MVM

to Fishead1
Click for full size
This is what the "Windows Live Mail" looks like. From Msradell See Profile's description I'm going to assume it is similar to the new Outlook. As you can see from the screenshot, each account is listed separately with its own set of folders. You can either use the inbox for each account to view your messages or there is a convenient set of quick views (in the red box). I don't like the ribbon either so I have it hidden.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Why would I allow other users on my PERSONAL computer? That doesn't make sense. No OS since 98SE makes sense. A computer is extremely personal...you don't allow others to use your toothbrush or wear your clothes, etc. Everyone should have their own computer or use a public one.

Then why tout the "password protection" feature of OEXP Identities?
It is just as useless in a single user environment as in a multi user one.