share rss forum feed

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1

Sparkfun LEDs

From my understanding 5mm leds that have a high MCD rating means the beam is pretty narrow right?

I just ordered one of each color (red, yellow, green) and 1 foot of clear 6 mm light pipe, I was wondering how it would look with only maybe 5 inches of light pipe? Hardly much light loss vs trying to use the whole foot.

As far as the LED I assume you drill a small hole the size of the LED and place the LED inside the light pipe?
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3

I'd connect it with heat shrink. drilling will mess up the optics.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Yeah but how do you heat shrink it? I have a few assorted sizes but I know what's going to happen.. I can do the light pipe but it's not going to shrink enough for the LED so it's going to move around or fall out.

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to Subaru

We use a couple short light pipes in our products. All we do is mount the light pipe in the enclosure and make sure the LED end is placed right on top of the LED almost touching it.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

I hope it works well.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Subaru

I don't understand your problem. You have a 5mm LED and a 6mm light pipe. Take a piece of 1/4" heatshrink (inside diameter is large enough for the light pipe) and put it over both LED and the end of the light pipe.

Shrink by 20% and it is snug around the LED (most heatshrink will easily do 50%).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

holy crap my sparkfun stuff is here already.. first class mail from boulder, CO

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA

did you try the light pipe?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by SparkChaser:

did you try the light pipe?

yes I did I did not do much testing other then just putting it over the LED because I was trying to figure out how to program the LED.. I'm a little confused on how to wire a LED matrix I think I had it right the first time, by wiring all the (+) leads to the first channel and the (-) leads to each other channel.

But the way they LED's light up is not going to be how I wanted but it's doable.. I was hoping with each switch position the other LED will go out but how it's set up it will stay on.

Now having said that Will the light pipe hold it's shape when heated? I've never worked with it before but I did not notice how stiff it is when I only need a little bit of it.. I have almost a perfect size from polycase but it's not deep enough so the USB header is a little too tall that I can't put the case on.
--

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
join:2000-11-13
Stockholm, NJ
reply to Subaru

the light pipe is probably only made of acrylic, and possibly made from polycarbonate. apply enough heat, and either will become pliable.

what are you hooking the LED's up to? might help everyone to help you if we know

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by Sc0tt:

the light pipe is probably only made of acrylic, and possibly made from polycarbonate. apply enough heat, and either will become pliable.

what are you hooking the LED's up to? might help everyone to help you if we know

I'm sure it is, I can't remember the site I was looking at but someone was saying home depot or lowes sells someone on the line of a light pipe in a clear version.

The LED's are for a Midi board I haven't shown a picture of them yet because well I ran into a snag of trying to get the right LED's to light on a Midi value.. I hate to show half done stuff :P

The sparkfun LED's are pretty darn bright.. I had to hack my polycase box up to get it to work.. not as clean as a custom made box but :-/

As soon as I figure out what I did wrong then I will post it
--

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
join:2000-11-13
Stockholm, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Subaru

sounds pretty cool. looking forward to seeing the finished product!!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

Crap not what I wanted to hear

"Mark commented on your discussion.

[Brain Jr question]
After spending some time with this, I have come up with the same results as you... This is because not all LED styles are working 100% with the Brain Jr. right now. This will have to be fixed in a future firmware update. I have let our engineers know, and we are working on it!"

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

Looks like wont be getting any firmware update anytime soon so just going to have to deal with two colors lit and just have to remember which color is which switch position

SparkChaser
Premium
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Subaru

said by Subaru:

This is because not all LED styles are working 100% with the Brain Jr. right now.

Did they say what that means? I understand the not working part, it's the LED styles part

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

Not sure what they mean by that I would think it means RGB LED's and normal single color.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Subaru

just heard back from Mark

"
Mark 5:56AM

I will update here when we have worked out all the different LED modes!"