Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

MS says to uninstall KB2823324

Microsoft says the recent Windows update 2823324 has problems and should be uninstalled.

»arstechnica.com/security/2013/04···-update/
»support.microsoft.com/kb/2839011

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
I have this listed as successfully installed, but I cannot find it in control panel to remove. Too weird.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
"View Installed Updates" on the top left of "Programs and Features".
If you say it is installed successfully, right click the item to show the context menu for "uninstall"

Side note for others:
However if you are an avid CCleaner or similar tool, and all boxes are checked it will not be showing due to the tool deleting the info required.
You would have to install it again for the uninstaller to be present on your system.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2
reply to andyross
This is apparently only an issue with the Portuguese version of Windows, which explains why the MS Support page has a Portuguese translation of the bulletin on its support page.

»securitywatch.pcmag.com/software···-tuesday
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to andyross

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

This is apparently only an issue with the Portuguese version of Windows

No. Please check the link La Luna See Profile gave above.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

This is apparently only an issue with the Portuguese version of Windows, which explains why the MS Support page has a Portuguese translation of the bulletin on its support page.

Not true. MS is apparently now recommending that EVERYONE uninstall this patch. In fact, it has been pulled from WU and is no long available.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,588 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08
said by La Luna:

said by digitalfutur:

Not true. MS is apparently now recommending that EVERYONE uninstall this patch. In fact, it has been pulled from WU and is no long available.

And exactly how is MS going to communicate this to EVERYONE?

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Microsoft already did in their blog. You don't read their blog or the security forum here, etc, well, I suppose Microsoft will say you should be more "responsible".

Maybe they will post this information on their Facebook page.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to Kerodo
said by Kerodo:

said by La Luna:

said by digitalfutur:

And exactly how is MS going to communicate this to EVERYONE?

Obviously, they're not. They can only do so much to get the word out. Eventually, people who are having problems might start googling around and find out, or someone might clue them in.

Or they might never find out and reinstall or buy a new computer.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,588 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Kerodo

join:2004-05-08
I think the odds are, MS will (eventually) release another update or patch to fix the issue, regardless of whether people uninstall the update or not. Hopefully so, anyway.... There are millions and millions of people who never visit security forums and who would otherwise never even hear about this issue...

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to andyross
I have yet to uninstall it.
I'm curious to see what may happen on my end... if anything.
Have yet to experience any issues with this patch so I'm leaving it alone. I have multiple external backups in the event of a serious issue.

Indy Sabre
Sabre Rider From Indianapolis

join:2003-10-02
reply to andyross
I uninstalled just to be prudent but I had no probs before uninstalling.

In a corp env, it was advised to stop applying it as soon as there were reported potential issues.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY

1 recommendation

reply to andyross
This is exactly the reason why I dislike automatic download and installs of WU patches. I have a friend, for example, who is fairly computer illiterate when it comes to the techy stuff. I know her PC is set to auto DL/install. It makes me cringe every time there is a patch problem, I keep waiting for a scream for help.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
said by La Luna:

This is exactly the reason why I dislike automatic download and installs of WU patches.

+1

I have this computer set to ask. It did, but KB2823324 wasn't automatically checked, and after reading about the problems I certainly didn't check it.

I'm not big on conspiracy theories, and Microsoft isn't out to get any of us, but mistakes happen. The idea that we should all trust any/every update based on reputation or "ooh ooh - security" isn't just lazy but silly - it's still our machine, and we still have final control of it. Sometimes control just means postponing the decision until the dust settles.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to andyross
By the time I checked the updates i.e. 4 days later, the patch wasn't offered. Like others have said, I don't like and won't do automatic install of updates. I like to wait a little.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

said by La Luna:

This is exactly the reason why I dislike automatic download and installs of WU patches.

+1

I have this computer set to ask. It did, but KB2823324 wasn't automatically checked, and after reading about the problems I certainly didn't check it.

I'm not big on conspiracy theories, and Microsoft isn't out to get any of us, but mistakes happen. The idea that we should all trust any/every update based on reputation or "ooh ooh - security" isn't just lazy but silly - it's still our machine, and we still have final control of it. Sometimes control just means postponing the decision until the dust settles.

Amen Brother.

I manage about 3500 servers and PCs through WSUS and when the red flag was raised here on the 12th or so I immediately declined it in WSUS.

I push out the latest updates to a handful of servers and workstations just to make sure they survive before approving them en masse.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

OmenQ
Spazz
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Continuum
reply to Indy Sabre
Same here, my home machines had it applied but had no issues. For the office machines, I set it to uninstall immediately but again had no reported issues.

Guess I got lucky. That one a couple of years ago got me though.
--
Cogito Ergo Nom

pensioner
Premium
join:2005-02-20
Clarksville, TN
reply to andyross
naturally read all of the postings and didn't look at or read the MS links. Then went to CP for install/uninstall, and couldn't find the update listed. MS must have pulled it before I updated says I - then read the link about it being a Win 7 update and I was searching my XP box. DUH

takeahike
Premium
join:2005-01-07
Woodland Hills, CA
reply to andyross
Gone. No issues with it up to now. Of course I wouldn't have any clue as to a potential problem but for the very helpful members of BBR!
--
"The best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry . . . " --Robert Burns

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
reply to andyross
No Problems here, running Win8

This is just MS's way to get more people to upgrade to Windows 8.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 recommendation

reply to andyross

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 edit
Thanks Andy!
Since KB2823324 exhibited no symptoms I left it installed. I just updated it to KB2840149 and all is well.

TheGiant
Sup

join:2001-03-28
Elizabethtown, KY

1 recommendation

Works fine on Vista