spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JustinIsmach
join:2013-04-12

JustinIsmach

[ipv6] IPV6 Comcast (ASUS RT-AC66U)

Hello,
Recently I purchased a ASUS RT-AC66U and supposedly its top of the line, I am really impressed by all of the features but have ran into a couple of questions.

#1- IPV6
My router has a configuration for IPV6, I need to know which one to choose for Comcast Cable in Atlanta, Georgia, and what to put for the prefix and addresses.

#2- Antennas
I have a two story home and my router is at the upper-middle-left wall from facing the house from the street. The router is in the room, I would like to know the best position for my three antennas for the best coverage.

#3- VPN
Does VPN require a connection or does it serve as like 3G.

Thank you so much for all of your help,
Justin

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

graysonf

MVM

Re: [ipv6] IPV6 Comcast (ASUS RT-AC66U)

Comcast IPv6 configuration.

WAN: DHCP
LAN: DHCP-PD 0/64
JustinIsmach
join:2013-04-12

JustinIsmach

what prefix/length/address

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

graysonf

MVM

DHCP-PD assigns these. You get a /64 LAN.
quesix
join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL
ARRIS SB6141
Cisco 2851
Asus RT-AC66

1 edit

quesix to JustinIsmach

to JustinIsmach
#2 Antennae... place near middle of coverage area, with router away from walls/floors... try various different (-30)-0-30 degreee angles for 3 antenna.. and test test test to see what works for you

#3 you probally don't need to worry about VPN, that is for access your home network from away from home, not anything to do with cell access in the home. the 3G/4G is for internet connections usign USB dongle... and not anything to do with VPN.

back on IPv6 topic, I just installed a RT-AC66R myself... going to be trying some "adjustments" to config, because in AP/Bridge mode, you get NO IPv6.. i did manage to enable basic access as well as telnet using telnet (IPv4) interface, now for http and ftp next. I'm guessing using in router mode, does not enable ipv6 on the http/ftp server in these very simular routers.

#proceed with caution, disabled in modern linux kernal due to looping issues with multiple IPv6 enabled interfaces

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/br0/disable_ipv6
ip -6 addr add ####:####:####:####::2/64 dev br0
ip -6 route add default via ####:####:####:####::1 dev br0

If anyone has tips on adding 2nd vsftp (foudn a vsftp.conf... and i know from full blown linux it has to run in 2nd instance for IPv6 dual stack) instance to this router, or if http/ftp daemons on this thing even support IPv6...

#########ftp results######
admin@RT-AC66R:/tmp/etc# vsftpd /etc/vsftpd_ipv6.conf
500 OOPS: could not bind listening IPv6 socket

unable to run both v6 and v4 at same time, it's one or the other

setup ftp as normal, create 2nd ftp config file, replace listen line with v6 one listen_ipv6=YES, did mine with grep -v and echo, as no nano/pico. shutdown ftp in GUI, start in telnet.

admin@RT-AC66R:/tmp/etc# netstat -n -a | egrep "21"
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:21 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

#shutdown ftp in web interface

admin@RT-AC66R:/tmp/etc# vsftpd /etc/vsftpd_ipv6.conf &
admin@RT-AC66R:/tmp/etc# netstat -n -a | egrep "21"
tcp 0 0 :::21 :::* LISTEN
admin@RT-AC66R:/tmp/etc#

#test successfull
quesix

1 edit

quesix

p.s. just installed download master tools, torrent client support IPv6 right off the bat...

tcp 0 0 :::21 :::* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 :::51413 :::* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 :::23 :::* LISTEN

woho! 3 services on IPv6, there's hope yet...

(yeah i'm still usign teh stock firmware... i do have the R version, i guess U version is better about supporting 3rd party firmware)

Edit:
LOL... looks like i mis-read the netstat output :::21 and :::23 mean BOTH ipv4 and IPv6 access. YAY!

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to JustinIsmach

Premium Member

to JustinIsmach
Click for full size
Here is how Comcast is supplying v6 to the res customers