spc
Search similar:

uniqs
xmd
join:2009-06-25
Carlsbad, CA

xmd

[TWC] TWC Business Class Wideband 35/5 and 50/5 - No Deal

I've had some more conversations with TWCBC regarding pricing on their 35/5 and 50/5 wideband business class services in socal.

They seem completely unwilling to budge on pricing (other than to offer what seem like pretty crappy deals : saving 10% per month if one is willing to commit to a 3 year term).

This is rather amazing to me, as when I first got my TWCBC 15/2 line, they gave me a 67% discount off list price ($299 list price, $100 actual).

At this pricing, even ATT Uverse 24/3 would be a better deal. If ATT can offer anything faster than 24/3, I may jump ship.

I'm surprised TWCBC would rather lose a customer than make a deal, but these large companies are not known for making good business plans, are they?

NB: the latest rep I talked to was surprised about my 67% discount, but I convinced him that it was true (which he confirmed) and after he did some research said " oh, that's a Home Business price : we don't offer that on the faster lines".

Sigh.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Yeah, tell me about it. I looked into getting TWCBC for work, but once I stopped laughing I called up AT&T and had Uverse installed. Got 18/1 Uverse with a /29 static IP block AND IPv6 (a /60 block) for about $75/month (only IPDSL is available here, so 18/1 is the max ). At the time, Wideband was not available (even though TWC residential had it for at least 6 months at this point) so the closest TWC had was 15/2 for $199 with a 3-year contract plus an additional $15/mo for a single static IP and no IPv6. Yeah, NO.

Supposedly TWCBC has "better routing" or some such compared to TWC residential service, but I don't think you could prove that. What is in black and white however is their cable internet connections do NOT have an SLA (unlike their Metro-E/fiber stuff) so you're paying out the azz for a residential connection. Yeah, NO.

I looked at switching to TWCBC for phone service last month, but it was either exactly the same cost or slightly more expensive then just sticking with T - plus you get a less reliable service overall that during a power failure only works as long as the battery holds out to boot. Yeah, NO.

So yeah, all in all TWCBC is a bunch of lame fail that is a last resort. I really wish this was a Comcast area

/M
xmd
Carlsbad, CA

xmd

My story was that I was receiving a 25/6 connection from Cox for about $100/month. Had to move, and ended up in TWC territory $100 for 15/2. Sad.

To be fair, TWCBC has been rock solid: speed tests exactly 15/2 and I think I've had one (couple hour long) outage in 2 years. So, even though no SLA, it's been good for me.

I want to pay TWCBC $250 per month for faster speeds. They won't do it. "Please, TWC, take my money!" "No".

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich to xmd

to xmd
contact the carrier class for better pricing instead of dealing with TWCBC that is what I did and for 50/5 I can get it for 300 dollars instead of 350-400 dollars.
xmd
Carlsbad, CA

xmd

Can you say more? I don't understand what "contact the carrier class" means. Is this a different division within TWCBC or...?

treich

treich to xmd

to xmd
carrier class is like wholesale dept for twc but with better pricing.
xmd
Carlsbad, CA

xmd

Cool - you think they'll deal with a piddling small business owner like myself running out of a home office?

treich

treich to xmd

to xmd
why not I dont see an problem with it. Just find somebody in your area for carrier class.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned) to xmd

to xmd
I don't know why people bother with the Time Warner business class tiers. They are highway robbery.

I probably use more bandwidth than several of your "small businesses" combined - right here in my home, at $70 a month on my Time Warner 30/5 residential.

I upload 1.5 TB of data monthly and download several TBs of data each month. I keep that pathetic 5 Mbit upload saturated 24/7.

Static IP? Why would you need that? Ever heard of a DNS server? Time Warner residential IPs never change anyway unless the MAC address of the device connecting to the modem changes.

Reliability? My connection hasn't dropped in a year. I think it's only gone down maybe twice in all the years I've had it and never for more than a few hours. I'll take a couple hours of downtime over a year for ~$800 vs. dropping almost $5,000 a year for 'business class' service.

I had a tech mention to me that I use more data than anyone else in my neighborhood and I should be on business class. I laughed.

It's not like I'm being unreasonable. Time Warner wants $329 a month for their "Extreme" tier on business class. I don't care what 'class' it is, that is being unreasonable. Google is delivering symmetrical, unmetered 1 Gbps service for $70 a month. Time Warner can take their lies about 'capacity' and 'bandwidth costs us a fortune!' and shove it. Nobody's buying it anymore after Google's pulled off the veil of deceit. Verizon's 300/65 Mbps service doesn't even cost more than $200.
xmd
Carlsbad, CA

xmd

The Static IP address issue is not as simple as you make it seem. Let's say you want to run two or three different servers - often, you simply can't do that from a single IP address, no matter how fancy you make your NAT / router configuration. Unfortunately, their price for static IPs is simply highway robbery: $25/month for 1 static IP, $35/month for 5 static IPs. Ouch.

What I may end up doing is just getting a second consumer-level account and then splitting services between the two.

mackey
Premium Member

mackey to 46436203

Premium Member

to 46436203
said by 46436203:

I don't know why people bother with the Time Warner business class tiers. They are highway robbery.

I got AT&T installed at work 18/1 with 8 static IPs for $75/mo.
said by 46436203:

Static IP? Why would you need that? Ever heard of a DNS server? Time Warner residential IPs never change anyway unless the MAC address of the device connecting to the modem changes.

Reliability? My connection hasn't dropped in a year. I think it's only gone down maybe twice in all the years I've had it and never for more than a few hours. I'll take a couple hours of downtime over a year for ~$800 vs. dropping almost $5,000 a year for 'business class' service.

At home on their resi service, I have not changed MAC addresses yet my IP has changed at least 3 times in as many years. The changes have coincided with TWC upgrading to D3, adding channel bonding, etc.

As for reliability, I've noticed mine going down a few times, again coinciding with TWC upgrading channel bonding, etc. Knowing the work they were doing, even business class would of gone down too. BTW, there is NO SLA for TWCBC over the HFC network, so the ludicrous pricing is nothing but help-the-CEO-buy-his-4th-yacht.

/M
jpatton1979
join:2011-08-10
Louisville, KY

jpatton1979 to xmd

to xmd
Plus you're not allowed to host servers (i.e. mail, web, FTP, etc) on a residential account. It's a violation of the TOU/AUP/ETC.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to xmd

Premium Member

to xmd
said by xmd:

The Static IP address issue is not as simple as you make it seem. Let's say you want to run two or three different servers - often, you simply can't do that from a single IP address, no matter how fancy you make your NAT / router configuration. Unfortunately, their price for static IPs is simply highway robbery: $25/month for 1 static IP, $35/month for 5 static IPs. Ouch.

I've set up all sorts of things for small businesses, and found the need for using more than one public IP extremely rare. You may just need a smarter router (linux box or PFSense) in-line to route the requests to where you want them.

When I had secondary IPs available I think the only use I found for them was to set up a "back door" access port just incase I was working on the firewall/routing rules remotely and locked myself out.

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

said by djrobx:

I've set up all sorts of things for small businesses, and found the need for using more than one public IP extremely rare. You may just need a smarter router (linux box or PFSense) in-line to route the requests to where you want them.

While not strictly needed (you are logging access, right?), I like multiple IPs as I can put the business network on 1 and any public/semi-public WiFi (i.e. employee personal devices) on another to help quickly narrow down where abuse/copyright complaints originated from. It also allows you to use multiple cheap, off the shelf SoHo firewall/routers to have separate networks if you don't need anything fancy.

/M

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to mackey

to mackey
Its not better routing TWCBiz hands the same IP block as residential (in some cases). However I've been told they prioritize the HFC MAC of the biz class. That would only prioritize you to the node, which is the most likely point of congestion in my opinion.
PrymeMover
join:2000-11-22
Wichita, KS

PrymeMover to xmd

to xmd
I experienced the same thing - after 50/5 res class service had been available in my area for over a year, I contacted TWCBC about upgrading my existing 15/2 service to a higher tier. Their pricing was absolutely ridiculous and they refused any attempt to negotiate on price. I dropped them and added a residential class 50/5 and an AT&T 18/1.5 U-Verse (with a /29) backup circuit for around a third total of what BC wanted for 35/5. Couldn't be happier, especially after the free 100/5 upgrade.

Get a clue, TWCBC.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to Eagles1221

Premium Member

to Eagles1221
said by Eagles1221:

Its not better routing TWCBiz hands the same IP block as residential (in some cases). However I've been told they prioritize the HFC MAC of the biz class. That would only prioritize you to the node, which is the most likely point of congestion in my opinion.

Around here the business class gets different IP blocks. They resolve to "xxx.biz.rr.com" instead of "xxx.res.rr.com" .