urbang33k
join:2010-02-13
Canada

urbang33k to 34764170

to 34764170

Re: Pair bonding coming soon?

said by 34764170:

said by Glen1:

A new modem (dumb) that has 2 RJ11 plugs will still need a Sagemcom behind it from what I have heard.

What you said makes no sense. The Sagemcom is the modem. The modem does the bonding.

Actually it could work the way Glen has described. brad, you may be forgetting about the WAN Ethernet port on the sagemcom. You could have a dual rj11 port device that does the bonding, with a single Ethernet out port which would feed the WAN port on the sagemcom. Essentially a bridging device. The sagemcom would do the authentication

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

BliZZardX

Premium Member

Many have been asking for just a simple bridge device. This should satisfy them. Is there a way of getting one with a single pair, no bonding?
urbang33k
Canada

urbang33k

said by BliZZardX:

Many have been asking for just a simple bridge device. This should satisfy them. Is there a way of getting one with a single pair, no bonding?

Great question. Remember this is all speculation until we see one in action. It's not been rolled out in my area yet. I've heard no official word from anyone that pair-bonding is coming.

I would assume that the device would allow for redundancy. sort of like fail-over. Why would you allow the service to stop working if only one of the two links went down???

If it functioned THAT way, it would be plausible to use it as a true bridge on a single link for a cpe router. Again all speculation on my part. theory-crafting.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to urbang33k

Premium Member

to urbang33k
said by urbang33k:

You could have a dual rj11 port device that does the bonding, with a single Ethernet out port which would feed the WAN port on the sagemcom. Essentially a bridging device. The sagemcom would do the authentication

I think some of you guys are forgetting that RJ11 already allows for two "lines" to be carried over a single connector. There's no need for a device with two RJ11 ports in front of the modem because the modem itself is most likely capable of already doing it with a single connector if it was designed for bonding in the first place.
urbang33k
Canada

urbang33k

said by Gone:

said by urbang33k:

You could have a dual rj11 port device that does the bonding, with a single Ethernet out port which would feed the WAN port on the sagemcom. Essentially a bridging device. The sagemcom would do the authentication

I think some of you guys are forgetting that RJ11 already allows for two "lines" to be carried over a single connector. There's no need for a device with two RJ11 ports in front of the modem because the modem itself is most likely capable of already doing it with a single connector if it was designed for bonding in the first place.

Well obviously, but what I was getting at is that the bridging device would probably require either dual internal modems, or a chipset that accepted two dsl links.

And to talk specifically to your arguement I'd be surprised if the device didn't have a line1/line2 rj11 port and a second line2 only port, just like two-line phones. That would provide maximum flexibility for jack wiring options.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by urbang33k:

Well obviously, but what I was getting at is that the bridging device would probably require either dual internal modems, or a chipset that accepted two dsl links.

Right. If the Sagecom's chipset supports pair bonding (to which I thought I read somewhere it already does) there'd be no need for another modem to do what this one can already do.

Just the same, even if it doesn't I highly doubt that the pair bonding-compatible modem would have two RJ45 jacks on the back, either. It'll just have one jack with the expectation that you're using the inner and outer pair for the bonded DSL link.

What would be more interesting is if Bell is moving to an "CNT" model for bonded connections the same way AT&T does in the US, using both pairs for dedicated data, removing POTS from one or both of those pairs and instead using VoIP to provide local phone service over the DSL link. The scary thing about this is that they could potentially force you into local phone service just like they force you into Internet for Fibe TV, since the service is IP and isn't a "real" phone line from a regulatory standpoint so to speak.
urbang33k
Canada

urbang33k

said by Gone:

Right. If the Sagecom's chipset supports pair bonding (to which I thought I read somewhere it already does) there'd be no need for another modem to do what this one can already do.

Ah I haven't heard that yet. What evidence do we have to support this?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by urbang33k:

None, just conjecture based on educated guesses and what others have said and some faint memory that I read somewhere a while ago that it did.

QuantumPimp
join:2012-02-19

QuantumPimp

said by Gone:

said by urbang33k:

None, just conjecture based on educated guesses and what others have said and some faint memory that I read somewhere a while ago that it did.

Tried to investigate this a bit. Not conclusive but this is what I found. The Sagemcom 2864 uses the Fusiv Vx180 core. I don't see any mention of bonding in the summary sheet.

»www.ikanos.com/products/ ··· v-vx180/

The Fusiv Vx185/183 does say it supports bonding but my understanding is this processor is embedded into the Sagemcom 3764, a more advanced model.

»www.ikanos.com/products/ ··· x185183/

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

From a purely point-of-failure, troubleshooting and cost perspective, it would make more sense for them to deploy a modem with built-in bonding support than it would to use a bonded bridge modem that connects to the Sagemcom to act as nothing more than a router. They might be using a two modem setup for testing purposes, but I really can't see them doing that permanently.

Still, there was something I read that I swear said it supported bonding. If it doesn't, fair enough.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7

said by Gone:

From a purely point-of-failure, troubleshooting and cost perspective, it would make more sense for them to deploy a modem with built-in bonding support than it would to use a bonded bridge modem that connects to the Sagemcom to act as nothing more than a router. They might be using a two modem setup for testing purposes, but I really can't see them doing that permanently.

Still, there was something I read that I swear said it supported bonding. If it doesn't, fair enough.

Why not, isn't that how FTTH works ?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yes, they use an ONT with a battery backup which also provides voice access for FTTH. They do this because they have to.

Really though, who am I kidding? Bell is the most backward stupid ass company in the country. I'm using logic to try and explain why they wouldn't want to introduce additional points of failure and increase the complexity of support when they don't have to. Logic doesn't exist in Bell's world, so they'll probably do something as retarded as what has already been described, including using two freaking RJ11 connectors for each of the bonded lines.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Gone:

Yes, they use an ONT with a battery backup which also provides voice access for FTTH. They do this because they have to.

Really though, who am I kidding? Bell is the most backward stupid ass company in the country. I'm using logic to try and explain why they wouldn't want to introduce additional points of failure and increase the complexity of support when they don't have to. Logic doesn't exist in Bell's world, so they'll probably do something as retarded as what has already been described, including using two freaking RJ11 connectors for each of the bonded lines.

I'm not familiar with bonding... are they able to bond the lines at the SLAM ? If that possible when a customer has a working phone ?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

The 7330 is designed to do bonding at the SLAM level with a compatible modem at the other end.
kovy7

kovy7

said by Gone:

The 7330 is designed to do bonding at the SLAM level with a compatible modem at the other end.

So what happens when one port of the SLAM in down... does it still work half speed ?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

That's a good question.