All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

Upload :: 64 Kbps

Well, its the same old problem again...I brought this topic up before-2012-11-24: »WB-1: 163 Riverside-Phoenix Network

And Again: »16 Kbps to 50 Kbps Upload

And Now: »WB-1: 163 Riverside-Phoenix Network

Taking the upload bandwidth away...way to go Exede...let's get your act together.

Low upload speeds SCREWS THE POOCH...

zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar

Still buzzing along in Oklahoma. Had you problem whan they installed it though and a tech come out and tweaked the dish and left with me still showing those speeds and then two days later it jumped up and has stayed there since.

DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

said by zeddlar:

Still buzzing along in Oklahoma

At Phoenix AcceleNet Server, they are handling Exede-12 and Exede-5 users' traffic via "congestion management practices." And based upon hearsay from other Exede-12 users, it appears other Exede-12 traffic that was suppose to go to other AcceleNet Severs, have been diverted to Phoenix.

Even though WB-1:163 is quite empty around midnight on a Friday night, for uploading, someone has to twitch those "dials" on that Cisco equipment; and of course, there is a fixed amount of bandwidth to "share."

We are told, "ViaSat aims to provide each subscriber with a “fair share” of that capacity," and of course, "...at any given time,
subscribers within a given geographic area must share available network capacity with each other."

There are different time zones, there are individual beams to contend with, and there are each's beam upload/download capacity. Its rather doubtful Cisco's equipment with their current setup could accomplish this idealism above.

What my experiences tell me, and with hearsay from discussions, is they have biased available bandwidth towards Exede-12 users. And recently, they may have re-twitched the priorities on this Cisco equipment.

From the hell I experienced yesterday, extremely long upload (10 minutes for a 112 Kbyte file, due to two stall outs...my Smart Phone choked, like 5 minutes, to get gmail...failed page loads, refresh, refresh, refresh...), it appears to me those Network Nerds don't know Jack Schit, or Cisco's bible (RTFM).
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to zeddlar

to zeddlar
Click for full size
said by zeddlar:

Still buzzing along in Oklahoma.

As can be seen in this copy/paste photo of an upload only around 1:26 PM CDT, those long pauses show intervals of time with nothing happening. It's not a packet loss issue, nor a signal issue, but it shows imho that their traffic shaper is clamping down extremely hard. And this clamping behavior screws the pooch for web surfing and uploading pics for email.

I did a download a bit later (1:43 PM CDT) and got 3.6 Mbps. Like I've said before, Youtube type videos are OK...its the upload speed being so slow.

Download:
Image URL: »testmy.net/UzKWleE.png
Details URL: »testmy.net/db/UzKWleE

Upload
Image URL: »testmy.net/rxeD7AI.png
Details URL: »testmy.net/db/rxeD7AI

As this photo below shows from this post,
»Re: WB-1: 163 Riverside-Phoenix Network
traffic shaper is slapping down this web site from loading the other day.

Btw, I hear two persons suggesting their download speeds may have been reduced recently on two different AcceleNet Servers. As speculation, I'd say they have been twitching traffic shaper on a Friday or so, then they took the weekend off. Great Show...do it on a Monday...

»/r0/do ··· ture.JPG
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

Click for full size
Using a freshly installed Vista computer with 4 core CPU on upload test only:

Upload Connection Speed:: 25 Kbps

Image URL: »testmy.net/JiPWMh3.png
Details URL: »testmy.net/db/JiPWMh3

Now, removing the month old ASUS RT-N10+ router and hooking direct to SB2 modem (upload test only):

Upload Connection Speed:: 19 Kbps

Image URL: »testmy.net/N7vK5ub.png
Details URL: »testmy.net/db/N7vK5ub

In the attached photo of both test runs (left with router, right without router), those roughly 450 Kbps spikes varied from 15 seconds apart to some 30 seconds.

On second test, instead of a 3 Mbyte download, I used one Mbyte test size. Total testing took about one hour of my time, from 5 PM CDT to 6 PM CDT roughly, and this shows to me it ain't on my side.

SB2 modem stats are good to go.

I would rather not get government weather sites than put up with this.
zeddlar
join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK

zeddlar to DrStrangLov

to DrStrangLov
Hmmm, interesting thought. I will try again this evening and see what happens. I have seen a few times during the download tests where the test freezes time after time for a day and gives me a slow result and I would assume this could be caused by the very same reasoning. I do doubt that the DNS issues are related though because it would seem to me that this type of traffic shaping would create those issues rather than be a way to fix them. I mean I understand that traffic shaping could allow certain packets to have priority and thus help certain websites load and maybe fix issues with certain websites, but it seems to me this would cause more DNS issues with other websites not getting priority. Guess we will have to wait and see what complaints arise for that to be known though.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

said by zeddlar:

I do doubt that the DNS issues

They were suppose to be fixen that DNS issue, not screwing the pooch. Those spaces between spikes represent about 5 seconds of time....and means this issue is not fixed yet around 1 PM CDT.

Details URL: »testmy.net/db/ci9TkFs

Upload Connection Speed:: 52 Kbps
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to zeddlar

to zeddlar
said by zeddlar:

a tech come out and tweaked the dish

Here's the rub! SB2 Modem stats suggests its OK, but if you call tech support (local in my case), and they confirm your stats, then they suggest you call this 800 number (cause its not their problem).

Since ViaSat removed TX signal data, one can not fine tune dish. Peaking uplink is critical.

So, if an user's uplink signal was off-peak, then their upload speeds could suffer more during prime usage times. But, when SB2 modem stats or their stats say A-OK, an user is screwed.

Just like in my latest upload speeds:

Current Transfer Rate - 5 kilobits per second
Average Transfer Rate - 12 kilobits per second

»[Exede] Current Status Wednesday April 17, 2013

But yet, my download speed is excellent for Exede-5

Download Connection Speed:: 5.1 Mbps

One has to ask is this a network issue, or an user with an off-peaked dish.

Last time this issue happened, it seemed this issue was resolved with time.

And of course, the user is left in the dark, and if they call their tech support, and your stats look good, they get the "it's your problem" run-a-round.

Hence, the informed consumer is clueless...does dish need to be peaked...or is it a network issue. But, if stats look good, your installer tech ain't coming out if its on their tab.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to zeddlar

to zeddlar
said by zeddlar:

Still buzzing along in Oklahoma...a tech come out and tweaked the dish

Bingo...I'm back in the saddle again

Image URL: »testmy.net/zd53nGN.png
Details URL: »testmy.net/db/zd53nGN

Image URL: »testmy.net/kcgJEfF.png
Details URL: »testmy.net/db/kcgJEfF
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

Now, back in the Toliet, several hours after being "tuned up."

Upload Connection Speed:: 30 Kbps

Details URL: »testmy.net/db/CWOA9qo

Download Connection Speed:: 9.5 Mbps

Details URL: »testmy.net/db/lCfmXW0
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

These are good stats, and 0.2dB better (Rx SNR) than original install of March 2012.

I think when installer re-peaks, SB2 is reset; if true, this may explain the good upload. Later today, I'm going to reboot SB2 and see what happens.
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

Just before 5 PM CDT....Sun shinning upon TRIA (in AM test, TRIA would have been shaded, and some 30 degrees cooler)

Installer did indicate customers normally call with download issues, not upload.

Cable Attenuation 12.3 now...due to sun's heat? This value can be higher in rain storms, and apparently, when dish is not peaked...but here, Rx SNR has not changed. No winds today to move dish, btw.

Upload Connection Speed:: 12 Kbps

Details URL: »testmy.net/db/yCMSwRj
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov

Around 5:20 PM CDT

Upload Connection Speed:: 441 Kbps
Test Size:: 256 kB

Image URL: »testmy.net/R0tYlio.png
Details URL: »testmy.net/db/R0tYlio

Download Connection Speed:: 19 Mbps

Image URL: »testmy.net/MIiE0Qx.png

Details URL: »testmy.net/db/MIiE0Qx