to aurgathor

Re: Windows 8 Blamed for Biggest PC Shipment Plunge Ever

Perhaps the PC market is fully matured
Perhaps money is tighter these days
Perhaps tablets are taking over the menial and entertainment tasks PC's do
Perhaps computers aren't getting faster than they used to
Perhaps software still hasn't caught up to the hardware
Perhaps it's all of these

When I was a kid we all wanted a desktop to play Quake, Doom, Red Alert, ect. Now you ask a kid when he wants and it's a smartphone, console, or a tablet.

Computers just aren't cool anymore. All the arguments in here are probably from people that are from the last generation of thought, trying to problem solve a generational issue. Face it mom and dad, you're ideas and logic, when it comes to technology is not what the new generation wants...

Michail
Premium Member
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

Michail

Premium Member

said by DarkSithPro:

When I was a kid we all wanted a desktop to play Quake, Doom, Red Alert, ect. Now you ask a kid when he wants and it's a smartphone, console, or a tablet.

Computers just aren't cool anymore. All the arguments in here are probably from people that are from the last generation of thought, trying to problem solve a generational issue. Face it mom and dad, you're ideas and logic, when it comes to technology is not what the new generation wants...

All true, but I see many kids into actual desktops still. It's amazing what a 10 year old will mod/hack in order to play minecraft.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by Michail:

said by DarkSithPro:

All true, but I see many kids into actual desktops still. It's amazing what a 10 year old will mod/hack in order to play minecraft.

A very valid point for some kids indeed,....

Anecdotally, I can say the teen and preteens I know tend to favor their ARM based phones and tablets even if they have their own PC. And in addition to that they tend to have more then one ARM device resulting in a two to one ratio,...or something similar,....

I'm also seeing that some younger people may have their first computing experience on a nontraditional computing device like a smart phone or tablet rather then a traditional PC,....

Getting them when they are young is a good stratagem for lifelong loyalty,...

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

Most people's computers have far more processing power in it than they could hope to use, even in two years. The vast majority of people only browse the web, check email, etc. A dual-core CPU could do that and a lot more.

Today's modern computers have at the very least a quad-core CPU and probably about 6 GBs of RAM. Again, most people won't even come close to using all of that hardware.

For instance, I have a Core i5 Quad-Core CPU here. Most of the time, even with my work load my CPU's average usage according to Process Hacker hovers at around 15% usage per CPU.

Video cards are the one piece of hardware that seems to go obsolete faster than any other hardware in a computer.

People do often complain about how their computer is slow but it's not caused by the CPU or RAM, quite simply we're running into the biggest bottleneck in today's PCs. The hard disk drive. It is the single most limited component in today's PC. Take a SSD can put it into even a lowly Intel Core 2 Duo-based machine and watch it take off like a rocket!