4K Ultra highdefinition TV; greater vivid details in 3840 x 2160 resolution
16:9; offers bright and clear picture quality on a large display
120Hz refresh rate; ensures smooth videos with minimal blurs and pixilation
5000:1 contrast ratio; brings out bright whites and deep blacks
6.5ms response time; eliminates distortions and blur in fast-moving scenes
3x HDMI, VGA; provides easy connection to various HD sources

$1,500-$200 shipped: »www.tigerdirect.com/appl ··· =7674736

buyers discussion: »www.reduser.net/forum/sh ··· it-today

I suggest at least a 2gb 660 or 7850 GPU to drive this many pixels.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Packeteers:

I suggest at least a 2mb 660M or 7850 GPU to drive this many pixels.

dunno if they make those

But this is good news. It's even less than the cost of 1080p screens when they first came out.

Edit: Description says

Seiki 50" Class 2160p 120Hz LED HDTV - 3840 x 2160, 16:9, 120Hz, 5000:1 Native, 6.5ms, 3x HDMI, VGA (SE50UY04)

3840x2160 = 8,294,400. Is this true 4K? Given that the screen isn't even 4,000 pixels across.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Packeteers

Premium Member

to Packeteers
said by Packeteers:

I suggest at least a 2mb 660 or 7850 GPU to drive this many pixels.

Considering it also runs at 120Hz, you would probably need something pretty powerful to max out your settings and vsync it.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

4 edits

Packeteers

Premium Member

you can run a 4k desktop on most of those $150-$200 cards, however gaming at 4k will require a top 680 or 7970 and even then may only run at 30fps... a titan 690 7990 would then be most appropriate if money was no object to achieve the 45-60fps range. personally - i hope to buy 4k screen once a good 42" desktop LCD sells for $1,000 hopefully by Thanksgiving 2013.

4K implies four HDTV screens in one - so there may be other resolutions up in this high range, but the industry will probably standardize it's more affordable offerings on this model's resolution as to not confuse consumers too much. just like we had 1920x1200 screens since HDTV's beginning, i'm sure a few premium priced models will be sold at different 4k variations.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Packeteers

MVM

to Packeteers
I didn't know this was hear.

I posted it in the Users Find Hot deals forum since it seemed like the most appropriate place.

But yeah I would love to have something like this. I'd prefer a name brand but I might be willing to take some chances with something like this. Not too long ago I walked into a Costco with the Wife and came across 60", 70" and 80" HDTVs. I said to the Wife, "Promise me we will get one of those sometime soon". She said "Sure but where would you put it".

I just smiled,....

I want 4k but I also want something really big. Bigger then a 50",........70" or 80" would be good,....

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

4 edits

Packeteers

Premium Member

Oct, that's why i posted it here. 4K is more feasible NOW in the smaller format for desktop computers as we have the CPU:GPU power to drive them properly. LATER when 4K video players, 4K broadcast tuners and content at 4K are more common, then I would also want an 80" 4K screen like you... but where would I put it

at this point we need to "educate" gamers and graphic designers (not video watchers) about such screens. you'd be amazed how many gamers dream of multiple GPU card 2-6 screen setups, yet they don't even know there are 1440p 1600p and now 2160p pixel-high and affordable 16:9 screens out there in the marketplace.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I hear you, no arguments there,....

Smaller indeed,....

Still I wouldn't call 50" small. I just suspected most people gaming via PC do so in a desktop form (single monitor or multi monitor) for the most part rather then on a HDTV whereas most console players (which cant take advantage of 4K) probably play on an HDTV.

They don't have to be mutually exclusive though I guess,....

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

1 recommendation

Packeteers

Premium Member

Chinese OEM Seiki officially priced its 50-inch Ultra HD TV at $1500, making it the cheapest 4K television in the history of absurd resolution... Seiki also told us that there would be a one-year, no-questions warranty. The company is hoping to have a 65-inch 4K TV ready by mid-summer

»gizmodo.com/5994765/seik ··· so-cheap

watch for sale coupons - as the 50" was actually spotted at $1,200 for a short time

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla to Packeteers

to Packeteers
ermagerd! i would love to have this but i think you'd have to be sitting about 6 feet from it to not burn a hole in your retinas or break your neck.

the wife would never allow this....

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

1 recommendation

Packeteers

Premium Member

that's a false assumption inherited from back when we were all using tube based CRT's.

if you have a need to look at 4 screens (like every trader on wall street does) you will benefit from this one screen by avoiding the sight line confusion caused by screen boarders. you can safely view this screen from 2' away, that is just not the optimal viewing distance for a full screen movie.

the biggest problem with screens is not the screen itself, but our viewing habits. you should get up walk around for 5 minutes every hour, use an ergonomic chair and proper screen mount height, keep eye drops handy if you don't blink enough, and use an auto ambient dimmer like F.lux

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to Packeteers

MVM

to Packeteers
quote:
Seiki also told us that there would be a one-year, no-questions warranty. The company is hoping to have a 65-inch 4K TV ready by mid-summer.

Thats what I'm talking about,....

Thanks for that,...

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY

Packeteers

Premium Member

if they can bring the 65" price point in under 2k that would truely be remarkable i guess we'll have to wait till august to find out.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean to Packeteers

MVM

to Packeteers
SEIKI SE50UY04 50-in 4K 3840x2160 TV Unboxing and Preview

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· u9nxLN78

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

3 edits

Packeteers

Premium Member

55" 4K panel in Shenzhen China for $1600

»www.brightsideofnews.com ··· 670.aspx

article also has news about the cards coming to drive it

here's an interesting article about "what is 4K" and i/o ports;

»www.brightsideofnews.com ··· 4k!.aspx

if these links don't come up right away - try again later.
Packeteers

2 edits

Packeteers

Premium Member

best of the current GPU's at 4K
»www.pcper.com/reviews/Gr ··· olutions

@4K: HDMI 1.4 runs 30Kz, so you'll need a DisplayPort 1.2 LCD to enjoy the full 60Kz your eyes will crave.

this June the 2-slot 7990, Titan LE and Titan Ultras will be out, and all be optimized for 4K gaming goodness.

Quad-HD for $1,200 again: »www.groupon.com/deals/gg ··· ed-4k-tv

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Packeteers

to Packeteers
So what happens if I get one of these and hook it up to my cable box? Are they eventually going to start shooting in higher rez for these or are they saying this will make existing 1080 even better?

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

Packeteers

Premium Member

it's basically an overpriced 120Hz HDTV when used off your Cable box.

you can now buy 4K media players and a few remastered 4K titles, but broadcasters won't be offering 4K for at least 2 years till the standard matures and becomes more affordable. when the Hobbit comes out next year on a native 4K format that should give a nice marketing push to this standard. this is why I'm waiting for a Displayport model, as I have no interest in 4K movies, only in 4K gaming real estate where 60Hz is fast enough for my eyes.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to Packeteers

MVM

to Packeteers
The new $25,000 Sony XBR 84" 4K TV comes with a little server with media on it or so I hear. This will be replaced with the the ~$700 FMP-X1 4K media player. It can presumably upscale 1080p media to quasi 4K media in appearance but I cant speak to that end.

Anyway, I guess what I wanted to really say is I haven't heard anything about DisplayPort support on any of these devices / TVs and I'm fairly sure the Red Ray player doesn't have DisplayPort support. I've never seen one on a TV and didn't know the industry was going in that direction (not saying it isn't mind you). As long as the DRM is in place then one would think it could happen but one would also expect HDMI 2.0 to be available soon too.

Once 4K becomes more or less standard on HDTV models (or I guess marketing would rename it Ultra High Definition TV's) I'm guessing we'll start to see cheaper 2560x1440 27" monitors on the PC.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

2 edits

Packeteers

Premium Member

Asus just announced it's PQ321 31.5" Quad-HD with a Displayport on it

»s.siliconimg.com/kb/cont ··· _897.jpg

no word on pricing yet, but Asus usually prices to budget consumers.

»www.techpowerup.com/1846 ··· tor.html

it's kind of weird putting those I/O ports on the side.
who the hell wants their cables sticking out like that

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to Packeteers

MVM

to Packeteers
Thats great to hear,....

However, the Asus PQ321 is a large monitor not a small 4K TV. I still don't expect to see DisplayPort on TVs any time soon.

Also, Asus does have some reasonably priced products but they also have some expensive ones too. The lack of an announced MSRP doesn't mean the PQ321 will be cheap.
Octavean

Octavean to Packeteers

MVM

to Packeteers
ASUS Ultra HD Monitor Lineup Led by a 39-incher

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

4 edits

Packeteers

Premium Member

thanks Oct - that was exactly the size and specs i was expecting to see (30" is too small and 50" is too big for the .25mm pixels we find in most 1440p and 1600p panels). let's just hope Asus can bring that 2160p in under $1,500 so gamers can afford to buy one.

the reason i'm personally keen on .25mm pixels (besides my age appropriate Presbyopia) is because i already own two 25" 1200p TFT panels I bought cheap on black friday 2009. my dream is to mount them both vertically with this 2160p between them. I have a rugged crescent shaped corner computer table, so this arrangement will be perfect.

picture is not my setup, just a visual example of what i hope to achieve.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean to Packeteers

MVM

to Packeteers
Right now I have the following monitors currently in use:

2x Auria EQ276W 27" IPS 2560x1400

This is on two different systems. I originally bought the first Auria EQ276W monitor for my Wife because she started to see the resolution discrepancy between the Asus VE278Q 27 1920x1080 monitor she was using at home and the new 27" iMac she was upgraded to at work. I liked the Auria EQ276W so much that I eventually bought another one for my use.

Then there is:

Asus VE276Q 27" TN 1920x1080
Asus VE278Q 27" TN 1920x1080
Asus VK278Q 27" TN 1920x1080

Thats in a triple monitor setup (DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort native connections on monitors and video card / no adapters used) for a total resolution of 5760x1080. Video card is a GTX 670 on a Core i7 3930K / Asus P9X79 Deluxe motherboard config.

Like others I suppose I would classify myself as hopeful that the Asus MSRP for the PQ321 and unnamed 39" 4K model will be very low and "attainable". However, my reasoning suggest to me that these models wont be cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

If I were to guess at the price of the Asus PQ321, I would conservatively estimate it at ~$2000 USD,.....if we are lucky. And I wouldn't be surprised if it were more. I wouldn't even want to guess at the 39" model MSRP and street price.

If that's accurate I wouldn't call it unattainable but I suspect most people interested in these products (for gaming) would opt out.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

The good news is they take picture-in-picture, so you could combine your computer LCD and TV budgets. But yeah, $2000 is even high for a 55" 1080p 120hz LED by today's standards.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

Packeteers

Premium Member

I'm hoping this 39" comes in under $1,500. consider if you bought FOUR 1080p 24" IPS LCD's and mounted them together on a heavy duty arm - you'd probably spend under $1,300 to do it... now add a 20% premium for being borderless and poof - you arrive at $1,500

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Honestly, I think that when we start to see new products like this roll out the street price may even exceed the MSRP (whatever it may be) depending on availability of the product with respect to prospective buyers as well as the availability (or lack thereof) of competing products.

Simply put, first products to market in this segment of the market will likely command a higher price. If other manufacturers saturate the market with their equivalent offerings then perhaps we'll see some lower prices due to competition,...

Asus is a name brand company and they are not specifically known for low prices.

I see absolutely no reason to suspect prices will be low at least not at this early prerelease stage absent MSRP.

If prices are low then great I'm all for it but even your ~$1500 estimate is too high for so very many.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

Packeteers

Premium Member

I think OEM's especially Asus are smarter than that. sure they will want a fleece a few deep pocket early adopters, but soon after they will want to capture as much of the business(wall st & coders) and home(gamer) market as they can, and they know guys like me have done the math on multiple screens versus a single screen equivalent, and we won't have the stomach to spend much more, especially since one screen has a single point of failure. at least with 4 screens if one screws the pooch, i can still code trade game on.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to Packeteers

MVM

to Packeteers
The last 4K monitor I came across on Amazon, a few days ago, was $1600 USD,....and that was used as well as about half the size of the 39" Asus.

Really I'm just trying to maintain realistic expectations,.....

If Asus somehow releases 4K products that drastically undercuts the current prices of 4K monitors then "good on them".

I sure as heck didn't see the price thing coming,....

Nothing would make me happier then to be wrong about the prices of these things if they are significantly cheaper,....
Octavean

Octavean to Packeteers

MVM

to Packeteers

ASUS' 31.5-inch 4K monitor priced at $3,799, 39-inch version coming in Q3 (eyes-on) Hands-on
quote:
Yeah, we want one too. Here at Computex, ASUS is showing off its new 31.5-inch 4K monitor, which we just learned will cost $3,799. (Oh come now, don't get all sticker-shocked on us.) The photos below speak for themselves, really, but suffice to say, the combination of that 3,840 x 2,160, 140-ppi panel and that matte, anti-glare finish make for some stunning images. And because the bezels are so thin, photos more or less extend from one end of the screen, uninterrupted. Still think you'll have room to spare after taking into account this monitor's big footprint? ASUS is also prepping a 39-inch version with mostly the same specs (except for pixel density, obviously). We've got pictures of that guy too, though we still don't know how much it'll cost. Look for the 31.5-inch model to ship in June, with its big brother following sometime in Q3. And if a $3,800 monitor isn't in the cards, well, that's what hands-on galleries are for.

That's almost double the $2000 USD I was guessing at earlier with the caveat of if we are luck. I guess 4K was both the spec and the price,....

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

1 recommendation

Packeteers

Premium Member