uniqs

nima158
@bell.ca

nima158

Anon

[Cable] DCM476 Flashing "Online" LED

Click for full size
Click for full size
Hi, I had my Cable line scheduled to be switched from Rogers to TekSaavy today, and upon boot-up of my DCM476 modem; (That I bought through TekSaavy) I get a blinking "Online" LED with the Modem status showing a step 3 of 5 indefinitely.

Previous to today I would receive full connection on the modem with a Rogers redirection page as-well as a class-A (10.x.x.x) IP.

As of today I no longer receive either the rogers page nor the class-A IP, rather I receive the local class-C IP from the modem (192.168.100.1)

My question is, is this a standard side-effect of the provisioning process by rogers?
Scycotic
join:2012-12-10

Scycotic

You get assigned the local IP if your modem can't sync...likely means your modem hasn't been provisioned/you haven't been switched over yet. Does your Rogers modem still work? I'd just use that until it stops working before switching.
nima158
join:2013-04-13

nima158

Yes, my Rogers modem still works, but that's because I purposely overlapped the activation/cancellation dates by two weeks.

How long does modem provisioning usually take?

And I don't understand why I no longer get the rogers redirection page If the modem hasn't been provisioned yet?

TSI Keith
Premium Member
join:2012-07-09

TSI Keith to nima158

Premium Member

to nima158
Hello Nima,

As today is your activation date it can take up till midnight for the service to work properly. Having the modem hooked up early we expect the 10.x IP as you aren't provisioned yet. At this point it looks like there is no signal on the line. There could be work on the line associated with the activation process, though if transferring from Rogers the activation is normally done remotely.

I would recommend a power cycle and/or factory reset on the modem to see if there is any improvement. Unfortunately we are unable to open a ticket on the day of activation due to possible up to midnight delay. If there is no improvement come 12:00 feel free to give us a call or post in the direct forum here: »/forum ··· avdirect with your account info and we'll look into this with you.

Thank you,
Keith

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to nima158

Premium Member

to nima158
said by nima158:

Previous to today I would receive full connection on the modem with a Rogers redirection page as-well as a class-A (10.x.x.x) IP.

This is most likely a standard provisioning issue I've talked about periodically here on dslreports. My latest information indicates that it is HFC MAC exhaustion on Rogers equipment.

First worth understanding the modem sync process..
1- Modem boots and starts scanning for downstream channels.
2- The downstream channel tells it how to talk back over upstream.
3- Having talked two ways, the modem asks for an HFC IP address.
4- Once it has the HFC IP it downloads the configuration file telling you what speed you can have and other details
5- Now the modem is fully online, and it starts passing information from the connected equipment. You computer/router will request an internet IP address and from there you can browse or whatever.

Until the modem is provisioned, it pulls the HFC IP from a pool for unprovisioned modems, so it gets "online". Then the router/computer requests an IP and it is given a non-routable address. Once the modem is provisioned it pulls an HFC IP from a different pool. This pool is probably specific for TPIA, and may even be specific to Teksavvy. If that pool of HFC IP addresses is exhausted, the modem can never get past step 3 above.
nima158
join:2013-04-13

nima158 to TSI Keith

to TSI Keith
said by TSI Keith:

Hello Nima,

As today is your activation date it can take up till midnight for the service to work properly. Having the modem hooked up early we expect the 10.x IP as you aren't provisioned yet. At this point it looks like there is no signal on the line. There could be work on the line associated with the activation process, though if transferring from Rogers the activation is normally done remotely.

I would recommend a power cycle and/or factory reset on the modem to see if there is any improvement. Unfortunately we are unable to open a ticket on the day of activation due to possible up to midnight delay. If there is no improvement come 12:00 feel free to give us a call or post in the direct forum here: »/forum ··· avdirect with your account info and we'll look into this with you.

Thank you,
Keith

Thanks Keith. I've tried doing a factory reset a few times and nothing has changed. This is a little strange because last night I was getting a good signal on all channels (and the rogers walled garden).

My rogers modem and phone are both working just fine so I don't think its an issue with the cable line.

Rogers retention also called at around 4, not sure if that's related to the activation process too.

I'll just wait until 12 to see what happens. This is a little disappointing but I understand that TSI has its hands tied in these kinds of things.
nima158

nima158 to nima158

to nima158
Just a quick update:

Still no progress after waiting all day, so I called at 12:30am. CSR thought that it was a connection issue so a Rogers truck is probably coming sometime this week (no firm date).

I'm pretty sure its just a problem with provisioning since the Rogers modem works like a champ and this Teksavvy one was getting a 10.x.x.x IP not even a day ago.

I'm already at my Rogers cap so hopefully I won't have to spend 1-2 weeks without internet. Kinda bummed out about how this is turning out so far :|