Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

2 recommendations

Blackbird to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: Microsoft KB2823324 causing issues

The reality is that boot problems have been observed on systems on which KB2823324 was just installed, and that also are running certain 3rd-party software. The specific reasons are not yet known (or the MS postings would note them). However, there is more than one kind of problem being noted, not just boot issues... and the 3rd-party linkage is mainly related to the boot-failure problem. No such linkage appears to exist for some of the other behavioral oddities (such as Stuart's disk defragmentation issue), yet removing the KB clears the problem. Bottom line: 2823324 causes some as-yet unknown kind of negative interactions with certain systems/settings, up to and including boot problems if the systems happen to also contain certain 3rd-party problems. That's too general a risk for me to take chances with my system, especially with something as central as ntfs.sys.

On that basis, I certainly would choose not to install it at this point on any system; if it did get installed on my system and the system appears to suddenly have exhibited problems of some kind, I would uninstall it immediately; if it was on my system along with the identified 3rd-party software, I'd uninstall it immediately whether or not a problem had yet appeared. On the other hand, if it was on my system and things looked fine, and no identified 3rd-party software linked to problems was also installed, I'd leave it alone for now - but I'd make doubly sure I had a full, known-good image backup available just in case.

wiperman
join:2000-08-18
Westminster, MD

wiperman

This update issue has caused me to rethink my current strategy of installing Critical & Important updates as soon as they become available. Perhaps I should wait several days to see what comes out in the wash.
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

Frodo to Blackbird

to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

I'd leave it alone for now - but I'd make doubly sure I had a full, known-good image backup available just in case.

Well, I don't have such backup, so that update went bye-bye. Anyhow, they said the vulnerability requires physical access to the computer. I kinda look at vulnerabilities that require physical access as "features".

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to wiperman

Premium Member

to wiperman
said by wiperman:

This update issue has caused me to rethink my current strategy of installing Critical & Important updates as soon as they become available.

Agreed. Or at the very least check the KB details before installing and hold-off on system critical changes (such as NTFS.SYS).
StuartMW

StuartMW to Frodo

Premium Member

to Frodo
said by Frodo:

Well, I don't have such backup...

Well I learned, at a young age, that anything not backed up is "temporary". The meaning of "temporary" varies but sooner or later your data will be "non-existent"

I have my data on 3 PC's (all of which get backed up), USB drives, external HD's (multiple) and CD's/DVD's. Paranoid? You betchya but it's saved my ass many times over the decades.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

To help customers who are experiencing difficulties restarting their systems after installation of security update 2823324, Microsoft is making available a bootable media ISO image through the Microsoft Download Center (DLC).

»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· id=38435

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

»Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin Minor Revisions - April 17, 2013

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC